Submit Feedback

Online Learning - Student Survey Results

Wednesday 27th, May 2020

ATAR Notes

In light of the recent COVID-19 pandemic, we surveyed more than 2,000 Year 10-12 students across Victoria, New South Wales, and Queensland. We asked them about their experiences learning online, the impact COVID-19 had had, and the effectiveness of online learning in general. Here’s what we found.


Online learning preferences of students in Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland

How heavily do you feel your studies have been impacted by the COVID-19 situation?

Scale: 1 (“Not impacted at all”) to 10 (“Extremely heavily impacted”)

More than two-thirds of respondents (67.48%) reported an impact level of 7 out of 10 or above. More than 40% of responses were recorded as either 7 out of 10 (20.1%) or 8 out of 10 (22.36%). The mean average response was 7.06 out of 10, with a median of 7.

Do you think online learning is effective?

The results here suggest the jury is still out when it comes to online learning. Both “Yes” (53.13%) and “No” (46.83%) recorded more than 1,000 responses, with a slight preference for the former.

Do you think your school should incorporate more online learning options, even when school resumes as usual?

Interestingly, there was a strong preference overall for more online learning options, with 62.24% of respondents voting “Yes”. The remaining 37.76% of respondents seem satisfied with the number of online learning options presently available, registering a “No” vote.

In terms of your education, how well supported have you felt through the COVID-19 situation?

Scale: 1 (“Not at all supported”) to 10 (“Extremely well supported”)

Results clumped around 8 out of 10 (20.38% of responses), with 7 out of 10 (17.89%) and 9 out of 10 (13.48%) also scoring heavily. Whilst all options recorded some responses, only ~10% (10.03%) of respondents recorded a 1-3 out of 10 level of support.

The mean average response was 6.66 out of 10, with a median of 7.

Discuss this Article