Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 11:19:45 am

Author Topic: As a "young person", what do you really care about?  (Read 4680 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
As a "young person", what do you really care about?
« on: August 01, 2018, 04:57:27 pm »
+11
Article on the ABC.

Triple J surveyed 11,000 Australians aged 18-29. Some (IMO) interesting findings (edit: as pointed out, results are based on those who answered each individual question - not necessarily the full 11,000):

* 46% work full time, 19% are studying
* 42% are living with their parents
* 24% have less than $1,000 in their savings; 54% have less than $5,000
* 52% had consumed marijuana/cannabis in the last 12 months
* 72% disagreed with the statement, "I feel like a criminal when I take drugs"
* 47% of those who are LGBTQI+ haven't yet come out
* 16.9 years was the average age for losing virginity
* 1 in 4 met their partner on a dating app
* 47% of women feel unsafe when out at night; this is the case for just 10% of men
* 61% have sent a naked selfie
* 38% saw the most pressing issue affecting young people to be mental health; 27% thought housing affordability
* 85% consider racism a problem in Australia
* 7% are confident politicians are working in the best interests of young people

I've taken these stats directly off the ABC story - again, available here. There were many I didn't copy across - these were just the ones that interested me most.

I guess it's interesting comparison yourself to the figures above, and also to answer the questions in sequence.

Any interesting findings, do you think?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 12:02:03 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: As a "young person", what do you really care about?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 05:13:10 pm »
+6
Article on the ABC.

Triple J surveyed 11,000 Australians aged 18-29. Some (IMO) interesting findings:

* 47% of women feel unsafe when out at night; this is the case for just 10% of men
* 38% saw the most pressing issue affecting young people to be mental health; 27% thought housing affordability
* 7% are confident politicians are working in the best interests of young people

I've taken these stats directly off the ABC story - again, available here. There were many I didn't copy across - these were just the ones that interested me most.

I guess it's interesting comparison yourself to the figures above, and also to answer the questions in sequence.

To apply my personal experience to these statements:
I work part-time (6 hrs/week average aha) and I'm in year 12. Won't be doing tertiary study until 2020
I'm living with my parents still obviously, but next year I'm gonna be travelling overseas for half the year and then I'm looking at on-campus accommodation for uni
My personal savings that i have access too have like $300 (I have more money, just in other accounts for different things) in it. But i have another savings account i get access to when I'm 21 which is like $7,500
I have never done drugs
I don't see why consuming marijuana/cannabis makes you a criminal-but I've never done any drugs of any sort so i wouldn't really know
I'm not LGBTQI+ but i feel like this is true as i have friends who are who haven't come out fully yet
16.9 years??? Wow okay. I suppose quite a few of my friends have
I've been in one relationship ever (it didn't end that well) and it wasn't through a dating app
I don't have a problem with being out at night
Mental health is definitely a big issue for young people
Racism is still a problem in Australia, but perhaps not as much as it used to be
Politicians are definitely NOT working in the best interests of young people. (Don't even get me started on a political discussion).

I feel as if these stats are a bit saddening. The ones that are high should be lower and vice versa, the lower ones should be higher.
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 05:15:11 pm »
^It does paint a pretty interesting picture, doesn't it? Obviously a lot of us will be under the 18-29 range, but still very much applicable to "young people" in general, I think.

What surprised you most out of those figures, Mada?

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 05:16:26 pm »
+2
-snip-
Article on the ABC.

Triple J surveyed 11,000 Australians aged 18-29. Some (IMO) interesting findings:

I thought that the Mental health vs Housing affordability was very interesting...
I guess I am just kinda sheltered?

And the attitude to drugs was very different from what I've known!
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 05:17:12 pm »
I thought that the Mental health vs Housing affordability was very interesting...
I guess I am just kinda sheltered?

How so?

And the attitude to drugs was very different from what I've known!

How so?

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 05:23:41 pm »
How so?
Well, I just automatically associate late-twenties with Mental health, just because except for actual mental difficulties/differences (like ADD, ADHD, Higher-functioning Autism etc) the people I know with mental issues are all older. Maybe that's just when people are happier to talk about it?

My parents, my school and my friends are all pretty heavily anti-drugs. I only know one person who has done any drugs (weed). Conversely, Alcohol is quite popular... Tradeoff? idk.
Carpe Vinum

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 05:25:40 pm »
+1
^It does paint a pretty interesting picture, doesn't it? Obviously a lot of us will be under the 18-29 range, but still very much applicable to "young people" in general, I think.

What surprised you most out of those figures, Mada?
None of it really "surprised" me as i feel like these stats are pretty indicative of everyone i know (But not neccessarily me)

We really are growing up in a troubled time...

Conversely, Alcohol is quite popular... Tradeoff? idk.
I drink alcohol when im out with friends and stuff, but not reguraly. Its funny, i'm hardline against doing drugs but have no problem with drinking alcohol
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 05:28:01 pm »
I drink alcohol when im out with friends and stuff, but not reguraly. Its funny, i'm hardline against doing drugs but have no problem with drinking alcohol
Yeah, same. But I often have friends round "just for a drink" and chillin'...
Carpe Vinum

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 05:33:33 pm »
+7
Now this is a topic! Love it.

To compare to personal experience:
- Obviously studying, working part-time 4-7 hours/week
- Still living with parents – if I get into the Monash course I want, I’ll be moving out of home next year
- More than $10,000 in savings; it’s for uni mostly, so all gonna go next year rip savings -_-
- Never taken drugs, never plan to, never want to
- I haven’t come out yet… I don’t even know what I am. Is there a stat on finding personal identity? However, I do have quite a few friends who are LGBTQI+ but they’re all quite open about it.
- Feel like I’m doing something wrong now. Really?? 16.9?? I’ve never even been kissed lol
- Fine in my neighbourhood, but if I’m at a train station alone in the dark I definitely feel unsafe
- One question: why?
- Agreed, mental health is an issue we need to research and help people with. It’s a fascinating change from only 30-40 years ago!
- Racism can be a problem. I’ve seen it. There are improvements to be made, but it’s definitely better than a lot of the world.
- Is that a joke?

What I’ve seen most is the increasing development of individuality and acceptance, in identity and in what we see of others. 
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 05:47:26 pm »
+7
Proudly one of the 1 in 4 who met their partner on a dating app 👋

I definitely identify with the lack of money in your savings account, and I reckon it's probably particularly prevalent in people who live out of home. It's obviously easier to save money when you don't have to pay rent or buy groceries or pay for medical appointments yourself. I think you definitely become a bit more of a short-term person in terms of finances when you live out of home, or at least I've found that I've become one of those people. Like, I want to save money, but I'm not thinking "oh I want to save x amount of money so I can go to europe in a year's time".

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 05:55:11 pm »
+4
It would be interesting to know what the skew on the ages is.

I think the % still living with their parents is the most surprising to me - I’m moving out next year.

I’ve got about 5,000 in savings (I don’t know exactly haha) but I also have a heap of money from my grandma’s inheritance but I don’t have access to it.

The % of people who have tried weed surprises me a bit - I thought it would be less people but more frequently if that makes sense.

The number of people who haven’t come out surprised me a bit - but then I do wonder what people classify as coming out, like if they just base it off telling friends/family or whether they interpreted it as it being more widely known/common knowledge.

Doesn’t surprise me but I have some catching up to do lol

This does surprise me a bit - but again I wonder about the difference between 18yr old and 29yr old

I wish this surprised me. I would have thought it would be higher, I suspect it would be if they asked about being out alone.

This doesn’t surprise me. I don’t have any expectation of being able to buy a house, it’s definitely a maybe thing for me and we all know how crap the mental healthcare system is.

This actually does surprise me. I definitely think it’s an issue but I didn’t realise that many people do.

Woah. I’ve don’t know anyone who thinks this. I thought this would be more like 3%.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 06:55:26 pm »
+6
Ooh interesting! To compare with personal experiences:
- Full time studying (never had a job in my life rip :/)
- Definitely living with parents (tbh I'd probably never leave until I have a stable income or maybe if I have to move overseas)
- I don't even know how much is in my savings- I know I have money saved but it's in my parents' bank account --> I don't even have my own bank account ._.
- Have never taken drugs, not interested. I do know a lot of people in my school do take drugs, and I would assume marijuana, and that's because they love posting videos of themselves consuming them on snapchat. But I have had alcohol before but with family since I wouldn't ever consume alcohol with friends (and it wasn't full on vodka, it was less than a quarter cup of chocolate wine, a tiny sip of sake- which was disgusting, and a tiny sip of red wine- not as bad as sake but wasn't a huge fan --> at different points in time, not all at once lmao).
- Not really part of the LGBT+ but I do have friends who are bi and they're quite open about it (but I do know this girl who tends to fetishise gay men but when it comes to girls, she just completely ignores their existence for some reason?)
- 16.9?? I do know a girl who's quite open with her affairs and unfortunately a lot of people perceive her for being a 'loose woman'
- Never dated and probably wouldn't resort to a dating app because you know, stranger danger (but I have had someone confess to me last year and I rejected him rip)
- Definitely feel unsafe- after my last AN lectures finish, it was really scary walking from UTS to the train station. Even the train station near my school (which is near a bush track) is really scary. Although my school has now allowed us to use the bush track to go to the train station, I actually found an article how 11 years ago, a dead body was found there...
- Um, why?
- I feel like no matter how often schools talk about mental health, we still don't take it seriously --> a guy in my class (who happens to be pretentious and sexist) believes that anxiety/depression is just people who are being dramatic
- Racism is still an issue! (an aspect of my PIP happens to be looking at how Australians perceive interracial couples/biracial people and boyyy do they still get commented on). I don't think it's as bad as before but it's still there
- Um, who is that 7%???
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 08:01:57 pm »
+5
Article on the ABC.

Very interesting stats! Comparing to my own experiences though-

- Currently working as casual worker and studying full time!
- Still living with my parents. Don't see myself moving out anytime in the future because a) my house is close to my university and b) it is so expensive here in Sydney. I would very much prefer to use my rent money on stuff I wanna buy.
- I don't know how much I've got left in my savings after having to purchase a new camera and laptop for university
- Nope I will never take drugs. So scared what it will do to my health.
- There really isn't a specific time on when people should come out as LGBTQI+. People are still questioning themselves (even myself if I'm being honest). Though I'm so glad seeing so many people from the LGBTQI+ community at university and being so proud for being themselves. It is so inspiring and so pure.
- I honestly couldn't care less when people loose their virginity as long as there's consent from both parties and protection to prevent any diseases and unwanted pregnancies.
- Interesting how technology can influence everything from our education to our jobs and even love. I find that very fascinating.
- At times I have felt that there was a possible chance that I was being followed home at night. I usually have my keys in between my knuckles, ready to pounce in case something happens. But thank goodness nothing has happened to me (and I don't want anything happening to me at all). I think it's because my house is quite close to the bus stop and my area isn't as dodgy compared to other areas in Sydney. Though when I do come home anytime past 9pm, I usually take an Uber home. I don't mind paying the $25 if it means saving myself from something/someone dangerous.
- Nope and I will never send a naked selfie ever. I have nothing against with people sending naked selfies. As long as they're not used for revenge porn, y'all do you and I do me.
- Definitely mental health is an issue amongst young people. I'm surprised only 38% thought that though? (I lowkey expected more but at least people are aware of it)
- I agree 100% As a woman of colour living in Australia, it is an issue that definitely affects me and other people of colour I know.
- 7% I mean I guess so aha ....
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 08:13:25 pm »
+3
The general feeling im getting from this thread is that we all have something to say about the last point.
It really seems we don't believe poltiicans have young people's best intrests at heart

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 09:47:35 pm »
+3
my thoughts reading the infographic

10% of participants reported using ketamine in the past 12 months
me: "really?? seems kind of low"
Victorians use 2.7x more than other states and territories
me: "ahhhh there we go"

definitely see lots of people from my high school take it. crazy shit tbh, the only mind expanding substance for me is education