Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 19, 2024, 08:27:19 pm

Author Topic: Melb's Exam Timetable  (Read 3753 times)  Share 

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
Melb's Exam Timetable
« on: April 13, 2011, 11:18:03 pm »
Hi,

Just wondering when the exam timetable is released? I want to know soon since I was planning to go away somewhere towards the end of the exam period.. Does anyone know if there is a pattern to when different subjects have exams, so like what will be on the 20th+ of June (end of exams)?

Thanks

Vexx
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
Re: Melb's Exam Timetable
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 11:55:32 pm »
It depends on a few things.  Sometimes they like to space exams out, so that you have time between assessments if it's likely people are taking a 'block' of subjects.  For instance, developmental psychology and biological psychology aren't likely to be one day after the other in the exam period because most people will take both in a package.  Similarly, if your subject has an assignment due at the beginning of the exam period, close to SWOTVAC, it's likely that the exam will be further away (I think it's Globalisation or Linguistics which has this happen - an assignment due at the beginning of the period and quite a large gap between the due date for that and the exam).

Then you have to consider that there are a certain number of exams which require a 3 hour period, and a certain number which require a 1.5 and you can only fit so many people into the REB/Wilson Hall/wherever at once, so the scheduling of one exam impacts another.

And thirdly, and one I have been told by several lecturers tends to impact a lot, is the size of the subject.  Obviously if more people are taking a subject it takes longer to mark - especially if there are written responses involved.  So smaller cohorts tend to be placed towards the end of the exam period (for instance, Australian Politics with 120 students was on the last day last year) and larger subjects tend to be towards the beginning, because everyone's results have to come out at the same time (or by the same date).

But there's really no way to know until they release the timetable, and I'm not sure of the exact dates.  My advice would be: don't plan anything yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, admin freaks!
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 08:15:04 am »
Yeah it's right. There is no rule for what will be where, large subjects sometimes go at the end of the exam period (i had chemistry in the last week). Just wait for the exam timetable to be released, it shouldn't be too much longer since it's week 7 already

Edmund

• Dr. Ruler Snapper
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +95
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 04:53:54 pm »
When is my personal exam timetable published?

Your personal exam timetable is published approximately four weeks prior to the exam period.  The timetable for Semester 1 examinations will be available by the first Monday in May (except for Semester 1, 2011, when it will be published on Monday 9 May) and the timetable for Semester 2 examinations will be available by the first Monday in October.

The supplementary exam timetables will be published a few days before the exams begin.

You can access your personal exam timetable using your Student Portal. 
2007-2008 VCE ATAR 90.15
2009-2011 BSc (Unimelb)
2012-2015 DDS (Unimelb)

Booksale: Drugs That Shape Society, Forests in a Global Context

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 06:11:39 pm »
Thanks all.
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE