Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 03, 2024, 04:23:20 pm

Author Topic: Further Maths Summer Prep thread  (Read 12896 times)  Share 

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
Re: Further Maths Summer Prep thread
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 03:17:20 pm »
@ s...: I didn't think that I'd finish the Further course either, but I did it in about two weeks. I'm not sure if it will greatly help me throughout the year, but I guess it's alerted me to areas where I will need to pay more attention in class.

Where do you get all these resources! I've got nothing!!!  :'(
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

Mariammm

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 03:38:12 pm »
@s....: I havnen't done any yet... Still working on the course... Got one module left and I should start soon
@Stick: Your school should give out resources but if they don't you can buy some... I know itute and EngageEd are free.. Also, you can buy old NEAP exams for decent prices and TSSM sell student trial exams for about $8 each

s...

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 11:05:55 am »
stick: calm down! I don't know about you, but my school just posts them on the school's Intranet, so try there, perhaps.
if not, on the first day back, beg your maths teacher for them
"I failed my way to success." - Thomas Edison.

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012, 11:27:15 am »
Ah. I see. Well, we're not going to get them before the end of the year, but our class is the 'smart' Further class so he's expecting us to finish the course as a whole much quicker than intended.

max payne

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2012, 01:00:25 pm »
Ah. I see. Well, we're not going to get them before the end of the year, but our class is the 'smart' Further class so he's expecting us to finish the course as a whole much quicker than intended.
^^tbh, finishing the further course wont put you in any advantage, especially in year 11. Just relax, take your time doing it because I guarentee youll forget some of the details by the end of the year. In fact, if you were determined to finish the course in 2 weeks, it would be better to do that in the month before the exams! that way it would be fresh in your mind.

butene

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012, 01:54:54 pm »
The only thing that was new to me was a chunk from the CORE section (3 med lines, reg lines, seasonal indices etc) so i'd recommend you to just focus on that in the summer holidays. The rest should be cake

EDIT: Also work on your calculator skills, most of your statistics calculations come from there
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:57:42 pm by butene »

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 02:32:04 pm »
^^tbh, finishing the further course wont put you in any advantage, especially in year 11. Just relax, take your time doing it because I guarentee youll forget some of the details by the end of the year. In fact, if you were determined to finish the course in 2 weeks, it would be better to do that in the month before the exams! that way it would be fresh in your mind.

Yeah, I knew that going into the course, but I was (and still am) so bored I decided I'd do it anyway. :P As I said, I don't think it will help me much but it's alerted me to areas where I will need to ask for help and pay more attention in class (namely the damned Business Math module! xD).

max payne

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 02:54:22 pm »

Yeah, I knew that going into the course, but I was (and still am) so bored I decided I'd do it anyway. :P As I said, I don't think it will help me much but it's alerted me to areas where I will need to ask for help and pay more attention in class (namely the damned Business Math module! xD).
Yeah I would recommed learning an extra module for the exam. For methods students, I recommend you do Geo,graphs and matrices. Sure some people think that they are the harder modules but the plus side is, there are less tricker questions in the exams unlike the easier modules which tend to put tricky questions to compensate.