Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 17, 2024, 04:26:11 pm

Author Topic: Bio 3&4 without Bio 1&2 - which topics to cover over the summer break  (Read 1058 times)  Share 

VPAT1

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Hi,
I have chosen to do Bio 3&4 without Bio 1&2, and today was my very first lesson as head start for 2021. I got bombarded with so much information and new content that now I am feeling stressed out and overwhelmed, not knowing where to start which has lead to me wanting to change my subject.
My teacher keeps on saying the common phrase "you should have done this in units 1&2" which gets me even more frustrated, overwhelmed and stressed out.  :-\ :(

So, for the many students out there who did Bio 3&4 without Bio 1&2, how hard is it to keep up and where should I start?
Should I change it if it is not even one of my prerequisites? Is it worth all the effort out of my holidays if it isn't even one of my prerequisites?
Which topics do you think I should cover from Units 1&2 over the summer holidays which could come into handy for Units 3&4?

Please get back to me ASAP
Thank You

waterangel82

• Forum Regular
  • 'The world is quiet here.'
  • Respect: +24
Re: Bio 3&4 without Bio 1&2 - which topics to cover over the summer break
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 05:34:26 pm »
+6
First, I wouldn't really agree with your teacher's phrase. I think Bio 3/4 is nearly all new content, maybe with a few exceptions like plasma membranes and cellular respiration. That saying, Bio 1/2 does really help a lot in first year uni bio, but that's another story.

I did Unit 1/2 and 3/4, but I know ppl who only did 3/4 and got 40+. So yes, definitely possible to do well without 1/2 as long as you put in time and effort.

I think if you enjoy bio, it's good to keep it even if it isn't a prereq. This is because you tend to score better in the subjects you enjoy, and this would be a good boost to your ATAR. Out of curiosity though, what course are you planning to do?

From Unit 1/2, I'd say cover plasma membranes, cellular respiration, and photosynthesis. That saying, I would recommend you to not spend so much time on these and instead study their 3/4 equivalents, since the 1/2 content is repeated again and there's a bit more depth. What I'm saying is, it's more important to study 3/4 content over the holidays beforehand, to let your brain 'deconvolute' some of the trickier concepts, especially for Unit 3 (transcription and translation).
2017 ATAR: 99.20

VPAT1

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 05:46:09 pm »
Hi waterangel82

Thank You for your reply
I do plan on doing either the bachelor of biomedicine or bachelor of science.

So do you think I should stick with biology or get it changed?  I do enjoy chemistry a lot but biology not that much as there is a lot of memorising to do and I'm not that good at memorising content.

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 06:28:55 pm »
+5
Hey!

So, for the many students out there who did Bio 3&4 without Bio 1&2, how hard is it to keep up and where should I start?

As long as you stay somewhat ahead in class it's not too hard

Should I change it if it is not even one of my prerequisites? Is it worth all the effort out of my holidays if it isn't even one of my prerequisites?

Noo don't change it unless you don't enjoy it. Sure, prereqs matter but what matters more is that you are choosing subjects you enjoy! Yesss, please put effort in as it is one of your VCE subjects and will contribute to your ATAR. Regardless of whether it is a prereq or not, it WILL contribute to your ATAR so it's best to do your best.

Which topics do you think I should cover from Units 1&2 over the summer holidays which could come into handy for Units 3&4?

I wrote notes and did practice questions on Unit 3 AOS 1. Like what waterangel said I would move on from 1/2 and just write notes on 3/4.

I do enjoy chemistry a lot but biology not that much as there is a lot of memorising to do and I'm not that good at memorising content.

Bio does have a lot of content but it is less about memorising and more about understanding. If you use active methods of study then you won't really need to memorise and you'll grasp the content easily :D

To get into biomed or science I'm pretty sure you just need english, methods, and a science but VCE is more than just fitting prereqs into your course. You should also pick subjects you love, so if Bio is a subject you think you will enjoy, then pick it!

All the best :D
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

waterangel82

• Forum Regular
  • 'The world is quiet here.'
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 07:13:57 pm »
+4
Hi waterangel82

Thank You for your reply
I do plan on doing either the bachelor of biomedicine or bachelor of science.

So do you think I should stick with biology or get it changed?  I do enjoy chemistry a lot but biology not that much as there is a lot of memorising to do and I'm not that good at memorising content.

Hey, I think it would be good to stick with VCE biology. In science (this is Unimelb btw), you could choose introductory biology subjects, but I heard they are terribly coordinated, and you essentially learn the same content as those who did VCE bio. In biomed (Unimelb), I've heard ppl who did VCE bio found it much easier, especially for the first few weeks. I think learning VCE bio will really save time when you learn bio concepts again at uni, so you could spend time on other subjects/assessments.

As homeworkisapotato said, biology is definitely an understanding-based subject, especially at the VCE level. I'd try to understand the concepts first, before focussing on 'what I need to memorise'. That way you have an 'image' of the concepts in your head which will make 'memorising' much easier.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 07:25:54 pm by waterangel82 »
2017 ATAR: 99.20