Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 02, 2024, 07:29:02 pm

Author Topic: Fluctuating exam scores?  (Read 834 times)  Share 

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
Fluctuating exam scores?
« on: November 01, 2020, 06:36:23 pm »
Is the exam you get part of the luck of doing well? Sometimes I can do well and get in the 80s in bio (VCAA) exams but today I got a 75% on the VCAA 2017  :( I’m worried cause the exams next week and I’d really like to get an 85%. Now it’s got me wondering whether it’s all to chance.
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Fluctuating exam scores?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 06:45:31 pm »
+2
Is the exam you get part of the luck of doing well? Sometimes I can do well and get in the 80s in bio (VCAA) exams but today I got a 75% on the VCAA 2017  :( I’m worried cause the exams next week and I’d really like to get an 85%. Now it’s got me wondering whether it’s all to chance.
It definitely isn't "all" due to chance since being prepared puts you in a good position to do well in the actual exam.

My thinking of this is each student before an exam has an exam score they are likely to get but then there is variation below and above that certain score depending on how a student is feeling on a day, the exam questions that show up, their assessors etc So there is definitely a component of chance.

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 07:04:12 pm »
+2

Hey! :D

Just adding to Sine's great response,

I would suggest finding those incorrect or partial mark questions and identify the syllabus areas which were assessed. Then, go back to your textbook/ notes and revise that area, then do more practice questions on that topic.

It is really hard to predict what the actual exam will encompass of, so I like to think that exposure to as many questions as you can get your hands on before exams is a good way to prepare (even if you just write out a plan of what you're going to say and not write the full thing out), as well as knowing your content.

Also, by attempting many past paper questions, you can generally start to see a trend of what question types keep appearing

I hope this helps and keep up the great hard work! (You can do it!) ;)
Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 07:12:29 pm »
+4
.......... that certain score depending on how a student is feeling on a day, the exam questions that show up, their assessors etc So there is definitely a component of chance.

I guess when I did sit this I wasn’t feeling too good with a good nights sleep. Thanks for the input!!! I’ll try to sleep properly before the next one and keep hoping for a GOOD exam
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝