Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:31:14 pm

Author Topic: What score is needed on psych exam for a 40?  (Read 1930 times)  Share 

potatopunches

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
What score is needed on psych exam for a 40?
« on: October 26, 2020, 12:11:20 am »
Hey guys, my scores for psych were all over the place this year and I was just wondering if a score of 40 is possible for me and if so, what will I need on my exam?

- Unit 3 sac average (4 sacs) = 86% (top 30% of cohort)
- Unit 4 sac average (2 sacs) = 82% (middle of cohort for 1st sac, top of the cohort for 2nd sac)

My marks dropped as soon as we began completing sacs at home due to remote learning bc of coronavirus. I'm aware I will need to smash this exam, I'm aiming for an A+ (91-120 on exam last year was considered an A+).
If I were to achieve between 91-120 out of 120 does this mean I'll achieve my goal of a 40?
Is this possible for me? Has anyone been in a similar situation? With the information given can anyone tell me what score will most likely secure me a 40?

Ty in advance!!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: What score is needed on psych exam for a 40?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 12:24:42 am »
+4
Hey guys, my scores for psych were all over the place this year and I was just wondering if a score of 40 is possible for me and if so, what will I need on my exam?

- Unit 3 sac average (4 sacs) = 86% (top 30% of cohort)
- Unit 4 sac average (2 sacs) = 82% (middle of cohort for 1st sac, top of the cohort for 2nd sac)

My marks dropped as soon as we began completing sacs at home due to remote learning bc of coronavirus. I'm aware I will need to smash this exam, I'm aiming for an A+ (91-120 on exam last year was considered an A+).
If I were to achieve between 91-120 out of 120 does this mean I'll achieve my goal of a 40?
Is this possible for me? Has anyone been in a similar situation? With the information given can anyone tell me what score will most likely secure me a 40?

Ty in advance!!
It would depend on the strength of your cohort but getting an A+ on the exam would put you in a really good position to score a 40.

potatopunches

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 12:02:33 pm »
It would depend on the strength of your cohort but getting an A+ on the exam would put you in a really good position to score a 40.

Ty for your response! Would a stronger cohort bring my mark up or down?

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 12:55:57 pm »
Unfortunately, an A+ in the exam does not guarantee a 40+ ss
I know plenty of people who scored an A+ on the exam and ended up with an ss in the range of 36-39
Given your SAC marks are currently in the A range, you would need a solid A+ to secure a 40 ss
I would say you would roughly need <100/120 or <85% on the exam to secure the 40ss
All the best, feel free to pm me for further advice for psych :)
EDIT: From Sine's comment- Your SAC marks can be scaled up if you score well in the exam (obviously this is same for the other way around). Continue to do practise exams and refine your exam technique, in the same vein don't pressure yourself and try your best! A 40 ss is definitely achievable.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 02:10:29 pm by tiredandstressed »
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 01:23:53 pm »
Ty for your response! Would a stronger cohort bring my mark up or down?
in general, a strong cohort either makes sacs stay the same or go up. However, that is a bit of an oversimplification since a strong cohort may be "strong" only for the top 10 students.

I know plenty of people who scored an A+ on the exam and ended up with an ss in the range of 36-39
Given your SAC marks are in the A range, you would need a solid A+ to secure a 40 ss
I would say you would roughly need <100/120 or <85% on the exam to secure the 40ss
95/120 last year was enough for a 44 study score. Although, that was with 99% SACs (after scaling). I don't think it is that useful to look at someone's raw sac scores and assign them an A given it could easily be scaled up or down.

potatopunches

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 06:20:11 pm »
Given your SAC marks are currently in the A range, you would need a solid A+ to secure a 40 ss
EDIT: From Sine's comment- Your SAC marks can be scaled up if you score well in the exam (obviously this is same for the other way around). Continue to do practise exams and refine your exam technique, in the same vein don't pressure yourself and try your best! A 40 ss is definitely achievable.

I am definitely aiming high, hopefully over 85% like you said. Ty for your reply :)

in general, a strong cohort either makes sacs stay the same or go up. However, that is a bit of an oversimplification since a strong cohort may be "strong" only for the top 10 students.

Ty :)