Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 08:30:14 pm

Author Topic: How do you structure a comparative language analysis?  (Read 756 times)  Share 

comb yeah

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
How do you structure a comparative language analysis?
« on: May 17, 2020, 11:15:50 am »
+1
We are currently doing comparative language analysis in my school now, but I find it a bit hard to understand the structure of this piece and what you split your body paragraphs into, do you base it on the key points or analyse the intro of both piece which would give me 5 body paragraphs or ideas. Everyone said it was ideas but I don't understand what they mean by ideas.
It could be great if you guys could help me, please
Thank You
 :)

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
Re: How do you structure a comparative language analysis?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 12:22:09 pm »
+4
I've not yet done a comparative with 2 texts, but I have done a few with a cartoon and 1 article.
Personally, I go through the article, as it is mostly the main piece, and I choose key arguments that the author writes about. I pick three, and I use these to form the my 3 body paragraphs in my essay. Then, with the cartoon, I try to choose which argument/idea this links with the best, and I analyse the cartoon in that body paragraph. This doesn't work for everything though. I don't usually anaylse the intro though. If I feel like the cartoon and text don't relate to each other at all, I'd do 2 paragraphs anaylsing 2 key points by the text, and 1 paragraph for the cartoon.

When I think of ideas, I think of key arguments.

This is what works for me, and what my teachers expect, so its definetely not the only/best way to go.

Hope this helps a bit though! Let me know if you have any questions  :D

comb yeah

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 12:42:35 pm »
+1
I've not yet done a comparative with 2 texts, but I have done a few with a cartoon and 1 article.
Personally, I go through the article, as it is mostly the main piece, and I choose key arguments that the author writes about. I pick three, and I use these to form the my 3 body paragraphs in my essay. Then, with the cartoon, I try to choose which argument/idea this links with the best, and I analyse the cartoon in that body paragraph. This doesn't work for everything though. I don't usually anaylse the intro though. If I feel like the cartoon and text don't relate to each other at all, I'd do 2 paragraphs anaylsing 2 key points by the text, and 1 paragraph for the cartoon.

When I think of ideas, I think of key arguments.

This is what works for me, and what my teachers expect, so its definetely not the only/best way to go.

Hope this helps a bit though! Let me know if you have any questions  :D

Yep that makes sense THANK YOU. I just want to know does the key arguments of both pieces have to be the same like talk about the same thing so it flows better or can you attach the first key argument of the first piece with the first key argument with the second piece? If you get what I mean. And you said you don't analyse the intro, do you not analyse the conclusion of the piece too?
Thank you  :D

ArtyDreams

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 01:01:13 pm »
+3

Yep that makes sense THANK YOU. I just want to know does the key arguments of both pieces have to be the same like talk about the same thing so it flows better or can you attach the first key argument of the first piece with the first key argument with the second piece? If you get what I mean. And you said you don't analyse the intro, do you not analyse the conclusion of the piece too?
Thank you  :D

Oh I'm not really entirely sure how to answer this as I've not compared two writing pieces yet. I think I'd like to choose an idea that relates to both so it flows better, and I can use 1 or 2 comparative phrases. The idea doesnt have to be identical, nor do both texts have to think the same stance on the idea.

If I feel like the conclusion is important, I analyse it in the conclusion of my langauge analysis essay in a couple of sentences. Then I end the conclusion like you'd normally would but summarising key points.

Also I'm no english expert at all - there might be a better way to do this, but I hope it helps!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 01:23:09 pm by ArtyDreams »

comb yeah

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 05:55:36 pm »
+2
Oh I'm not really entirely sure how to answer this as I've not compared two writing pieces yet. I think I'd like to choose an idea that relates to both so it flows better, and I can use 1 or 2 comparative phrases. The idea doesnt have to be identical, nor do both texts have to think the same stance on the idea.

If I feel like the conclusion is important, I analyse it in the conclusion of my langauge analysis essay in a couple of sentences. Then I end the conclusion like you'd normally would but summarising key points.

Also I'm no english expert at all - there might be a better way to do this, but I hope it helps!

That makes much more sense now
Thank you for helping me :)

ArtyDreams

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 08:07:47 pm »
+1
That makes much more sense now
Thank you for helping me :)

I'm glad it helped. I probably shouldve made it clearer, but after I divide my paragraphs into key ideas or arguments, I analyse the language techniques within that specific argument, and how they relate to it, and thus the overall contention.