Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 03, 2024, 11:03:37 pm

Author Topic: The Lieutenant Textual Analysis Thread  (Read 1219 times)

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
The Lieutenant Textual Analysis Thread
« on: January 10, 2020, 06:52:32 pm »
+8
The Lieutenant Textual Analysis Thread

A place to discuss anything related to the VCE English text 'The Lieutenant' by Kate Grenville

Quote from: VCAA Text List Blurb
Grenville, Kate, The Lieutenant, The Text Publishing Company, 2010 (A) (4)
Grenville’s work of historical fiction depicts the journey of young Marine Lieutenant Daniel Rooke and how he navigates his troubled childhood in 18th-century Portsmouth, his life in Australia and, finally, in Antigua. A gifted mathematician and astronomer, Rooke is sent to Australia’s first settlement, where he becomes obsessed with learning and recording in writing the language of the Cadigal people. Rooke’s attachment to his ‘tutors’, particularly Tagaran, tests his loyalties, making him choose between old and new-found friends, and patriotic obligations and conscience, leaving him emotionally alienated and, ultimately, physically isolated. Grenville’s novel examines the themes of knowledge, ambition, friendship, difference and isolation, and the role of language.[/size]

Side Note
I have no idea if this is a good or bad idea or if this has been done before - please let me know if this is good so I can create threads for all the other English texts ❤️
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:33:25 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
Re: The Lieutenant Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 07:56:46 pm »
+1
A thread where we can collaborate and share our insights of the text.

That's a great idea J_Rho.  ;)

Thanks for making this.

Edit: I've been making some character summaries, so I will upload them soon when they are finished.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 07:59:26 pm by Ionic Doc »
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
Re: The Lieutenant Discussion Thread
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 09:47:16 pm »
Great idea making this JRho! I didn't do English, but I know I would've loved this collaboration!  ;D
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University