Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 02, 2024, 12:28:30 pm

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Bank - New Syllabus!  (Read 3930 times)  Share 

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
  • Respect: +44
HSC Biology Question Bank - New Syllabus!
« on: January 05, 2020, 08:43:04 pm »
+10
BIOLOGY QUESTION BANK

Hi everyone!

As someone who studied the new Bio syllabus and was in the first Bio cohort to sit the HSC, I know the struggle of not having many past papers or practice questions to consolidate my knowledge :/ However, I believe practice Qs are essential to securing a Band 6 in Biology, especially in the new course  ;)

So, inspired by katie,rinos and her thread for music, I've decided to compile and create some new prelim and HSC Qs :) Feel free to add more Qs or answer the ones down below - I will check this thread regularly to try and give feedback / other current or ex-students can have their own crack at answering them.

I will also try and update the old Biology threads with more content for the new syllabus and link to current notes :D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 12:13:07 am by Pearlmilktea »
HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D

Pearlmilktea

• Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
Re: HSC Biology Question Bank - New Syllabus!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 09:03:31 pm »
+7
General Working Scientifically Questions - Year 11 and 12 (super important!!)

1) Identify the benefits and limitations of using models in the study of Science. (4 marks)

Module 1: Cells as the Basis of Life

(work in progress - I will continue to update)

1) Compare the processes of diffusion and osmosis: (4 marks)
1) Explain a practical investigation that you conducted in class to model the action of enzymes in cells. (5 marks)
2) Evaluate the effects of extreme temperatures on enzyme activity (4 marks).
3) Identify three characteristics of enzymes. (3 marks)

Module 2: Organisation of Living Things

1) Justify the hierarchical structural organisation of organelles, cells, tissues, organs, systems and organisms. (4 marks)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 10:20:46 pm by Pearlmilktea »
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 09:20:26 pm »
+2
1) Compare the processes of diffusion and osmosis: (4 marks)

Thankyou so much for this thread Pearlmilktea! ;D It is such a good idea and will definetly help me with the HSC this year. I am excited to answer questions! ;D

Diffusion and Osmosis are both similar processes, though vary.

Diffusion:
Diffusion is the process of the movement of a higher concentration to a lower concentration.

An example would encompass of perfume being sprayed, where the gas particles will want to move to a region of lower concentration, rather than staying in their original higher concentration.

Osmosis:
Osmosis is the movement of a solvent, such as water, over a semi-permeable membrane.

For example, plant cells soaking up water.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:22:40 pm by Coolmate »
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Pearlmilktea

• Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 09:39:14 pm »
+6
It's all good - I hope to add a few more Mod 1 and 5 Qs in the next few days :)

My feedback is in red: :)
Diffusion and Osmosis are both similar processes, though vary.
 Great - starting with an intro statement that acknowledges both the similarities and differences

Diffusion:
Diffusion is the process of the passive movement of molecules/particles from a higher concentration to a lower concentration.
Otherwise great ! It's better to be pedantic about key terms in your definitions

An example would encompass of perfume being sprayed, where the gas particles will want to move to a region of lower concentration, rather than staying in their original higher concentration.
 Awesome example! You could add - this allows an equilibrium to be achieved

Osmosis:
Osmosis is the passive movement of a solvent, such as water, over a semi-permeable membrane.
You can also add the 'from high to low concentration'/ concentration gradient. I really love how you gave water as an example- they love when you provide that extra detail.

For example, plant cells soaking up water.
 If the mark allocation was higher you could talk about why the water moves into the plant - e.g. hypotonic plant - other substances such as sugar and salts in the plant means that water needs to move in to create an equilibrium

If I was answering this an exam, I would opt for a similarities and differences table. That way it's easier to get the marks for example:

Similarities
-Both include the movement of molecules from high -> low conc.
-Both passive movements
-Particles continue to move down the concentration gradient until an equilibrium is achieved

Differences
-Diffusion = movement of molecules/ particles but not solvents
-Osmosis = movement of solvents (e.g. water) only

Then you can give you examples to secure a 4/4
Your answer was really good tho - good job!

Pearlmilktea

• Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 10:19:27 pm »
+5
Module 5: Heredity

(work in progress - I will continue to update)

1) How does reproduction ensure the continuity of a species (6 marks)?
2) Compare external and internal fertilisation. (4 marks)
3) Identify what type of reproduction budding is and explain its process.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 10:34:30 pm by Pearlmilktea »

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 07:55:36 am »
+2
1) Justify the hierarchical structural organisation of organelles, cells, tissues, organs, systems and organisms. (4 marks)

Organisms: An organism is a living being made up of systems of organs and tissues that work together.

Systems: Systems are lots of organs working together to complete processes that our body needs to do. Examples are the respiratory system which includes the lungs and trachea that allow the body to respire and the circulatory system that delivers oxygen around the body in the blood, being powered by the heart.

Organs: Organs are a collection of tissues that work together to perform steps in processes for our body such as the lungs or the heart.

Tissues: A tissue is a set of similar cells organised to perform a function. They are the waypoint between individual cells and fully formed organs.

Cells: Cells are a collection of organelles contained within a cellular membrane.

Organelles: Organelles are structures contained within a cell that allow it to grow and reproduce, as well as to perform normal processes. Examples of organelles include the mitochondria with performs cellular respiration and rough endoplasmic reticulum which synthesises proteins.