Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 01, 2024, 04:35:12 am

Author Topic: Group Interview  (Read 1210 times)  Share 

angrybiscuit

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +204
Group Interview
« on: November 19, 2019, 05:46:35 pm »
+2
Hey everyone!
I have to attend a group interview soon.. any tips? Does anyone know what I should expect?

Thanks in advance  :D :D
somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
carl sagan

vehura

• Trailblazer
  • she/her
  • Respect: +33
Re: Group Interview
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 06:06:59 pm »
+8
It depends on the company who is hiring to prepare for the specifics but general tips still apply! The interview that got me a job at Coles was a group interview and looking back on it I'm glad it was because if you know how to approach it, it becomes a great way to show off your teamwork and communication skills. :)

I would definitely research other people's experiences with group interviews for the specific place you're interviewing for online - I certainly did my own research for Coles specifically which gave me a heads up! (eg the activities we did and what to expect). For example, we completed a few team activities regarding which Coles departments you'd hide in if a zombie apocalypse was to occur... sounds a bit silly but if you research things like these you can be more prepared and calm some nerves.

Some general tips I found really helpful which I implemented during my interview was to always be the first one to answer the interviewer's question - we were separated onto different tables with our own interviewer and when he asked questions to the group I took advantage of everyone else's anxiety and made sure I introduced myself first, etc. It might seem forced but really, as easy as it is to fall prey to the anxiety, if you don't make yourself stand out then they won't notice you and what you have to offer. Also, I made an effort (even though it was really nerve-wracking) to ask other people in the group questions about what they thought in whatever activity we were doing and used their name while speaking to them. (in front of the interviewer of course  ;) ) But generally, everyone else on my table was really quiet because we were all probably inexperienced, anxious teenagers. If this happens with you, you just have to take this opportunity to make sure you stand out. :D

All in all, a group interview is a really good experience regardless of whether or not you get hired to practice both your interview skills and your confidence skills. But interviewers are overall looking for someone who's a team player and if it's retail, someone with good people and communication skills. Even if that's not you (it certainly wasn't me, I was an anxious wreck when I went in), just fake it till you make it because hirers are more likely to consider candidates who put themselves out there.  :D good luck! 
class of 2021
2020: psych (50)
2021: eng (50) lit (47)

angrybiscuit

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +204
Re: Group Interview
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 08:45:03 pm »
//

You're a lifesaver! Will definitely keep your tips in mind  ;D
somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
carl sagan