Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 03, 2024, 05:30:00 am

Author Topic: Tips for 40+ study score in HHD  (Read 7905 times)  Share 

ChiaraS

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +8
Tips for 40+ study score in HHD
« on: January 01, 2019, 06:51:57 pm »
+12
Hi HHD students of 2019,

I am wanting to share some tips and tricks on how you should go about your HHD studies in 2019. Last year, I was able to achieve an average of 95-100 on all my sacs, an A+ in GA1, GA2 & GA3 and a raw study score in the high 40’s as a year 11 student.  I hope my tips below can help you achieve your best:

1)Know your definitions:
In HHD it is fundamental to have a good grasp of all essential definitions (or if possible know them word for word).
I strongly recommend learning word for word definitions for:
-Health and wellbeing
-Optimal health and wellbeing
-All dimensions of health (physical, mental, social, emotional and spiritual)
-Health status
-All health status indicators
-Old and new public health
-Social and biomedical model of health
-Health promotion
-Sustainability
-Human development
-Human development index
-Official development assistance
-Social action
All word for word definitions can be found in your text book. Using flashcards or quizlet can help you to memorise these definitions.

2)Use the textbook:
I had the Jacaranda textbook which was very useful. If you have the Cambridge textbook, I would strongly recommend purchasing the Jacaranda textbook as it covers the content in a great amount of depth.
With the textbook I would make notes, that directly correlated to the key knowledge points on the study design. In HHD, it is extremely important to make your own notes, as it helps you to gain a better understanding of the content, which will in turn help you to answer more higher order questions.

3: Edrolo:
Although it can be lame for other subjects, Edrolo is a helpful resource for HHD. Even if you don’t have time to watch the videos, just read through the slideshow notes. In addition, before the SACs I found it helpful to complete the practice questions on Edrolo as you are given good model answers

4:Do as many questions as possible:
The Jacaranda textbook has a range of sac and exam style questions which I found helpful. Whilst working though each AOS, I would complete all the test your understanding questions so I could strengthen my understanding. I would then complete the exam style questions  prior to sacs. I found that doing these questions before each SAC, helped me immensely as I was able to answer questions  quicker and easier.

5: Practice data analysis:
Most students like myself initially find these style of questions the hardest. You have to be extremely specific when answering these questions, for example when a questions asks to “identify a trend in the data”, who must state what you observe in the data (an increase or decrease in something) and then back it up with data from the graph. In order to become good at these, I recommend doing lots of practice.

6:Bring a ruler to all HHD sacs and exams
As silly as it sounds, I brought a ruler to all sacs and exams. Sometimes when trying to analyse graphs, it can be difficult to identify data points. Therefore using a ruler can help you immensely to read graphs.

7:Head start lectures
In my opinion, the best paid HHD lectures are the Heath Teachers Network lectures. They are only around $50-$60, you get a detailed summary book and the presenter is Andrew Beaumont, who writes the Jacaranda textbook. I went his unit 4 and exam revision lecture which really helped me. I also attended lectures from other companies, but I didn’t find them to be as good as the Health Teachers Network ones.
If you don’t want to pay, ATAR notes lectures are awesome as well.
Plus, even if I didn’t attend a HHD lecture during the year, I would download the slides and use them as reference

8:Paid study resources
The only bought resources I found helpful was the ATAR notes study guide for HHD. These notes were good as it condensed the course well, and presented content simply so it was easy to comprehend. I have also heard connect education notes for HHD are good, but I haven’t used them personally
Keep away from these following resources (I bought them, but they ended up being a waste of money)
-A+ Notes -> poor summary
-A+ Exams -> outdated questions
-2018 Cambridge checkpoints-> however the 2019 may be better than last years

9:Practice exams
Prior to the end of year exam, I did every single practice exam avaliable. As last year was the first year of the new study design there were about 12 exams available in addition to the 2018 sample exam. Luckily for this years cohort, you will have double the amount of practice exams available (2018+2019), so I would recommend doing as many as possible. Once you complete these exams, get your teacher to mark and go over the exam with you. I found this very helpful, as my teacher provided me with advice on how I could strengthen my answers. It is also important to do some exams under timed conditions, because in order to do well in HHD you need to manage your time effectively. I found time management difficult myself, as I would write in too much detail, however with practice I improved greatly.

10: In the summer holidays I would highly recommend doing the following
1. Understand the dimensions of health; have a solid definition and about 4 examples for each dimension
2. Memorise ALL health status indicator definitions
3. Attend the ATAR notes HHD lecture if possible
4. Starting to tackle some practice questions to understand how they should be answered
Examples
1)When asked how something impacts health and wellbeing you must make reference to a dimension of health and wellbeing
“How does having access to shelter promote health and wellbeing?”
Having access to shelter provides people with privacy, safety and security. This promotes positive emotions such as contentment, improving emotional health and wellbeing.
2)When being asked about how something impacts health status, always refer to 2 health status indicators
“How might blood cholesterol levels impact on health status?”
Having excess levels LDL cholesterol can lead to diseases such as atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease. Having these diseases may led to premature death, hence decreasing life expectancy and increasing mortality rates.
3)When being asked about health outcomes, you can answer referring to either dimensions of health and wellbeing or health status indicators.
4)When answering a questions about how something impacts human development, make reference to aspects of human development definition below
-Live to their full potential
-Lead productive, creating lives, according to their needs and interests
-Expanding choices and enhancing capabilities
-Access to knowledge, health  and decent standard of living
-Participate in the community and decisions that affect their lives

I hope these tips will help you to excel greatly in HHD. I absolutely loved studying the subject and I hope that you do as well. I wish you all the best of luck, and I hope you achieve the study score you desire for HHD in 2019.

Macrophagee

Re: Tips for 40+ study score in HHD
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 07:07:28 pm »
+1
Hey thanks so much for your guide!it is very helpful.
Congrats on your high SS! :)

Kmenez

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 04:34:37 pm »
Hey great post and well done on the year,
I am also a year 11 about to start the 3,4 early. I havent completed the 1,2 and basically wanted to know if theres anything I have missed out on or should learn. Also would you suggest any concepts or areas I should "pre-learn" (besides definitions and health status indicators) before schools back, and if theres anything else I should do on the holidays.(learning content, attending lectures, watching videos etc.) -- legit anything would be helpful.

Thanks

ChiaraS

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 02:37:54 pm »
+3
Hey great post and well done on the year,
I am also a year 11 about to start the 3,4 early. I havent completed the 1,2 and basically wanted to know if theres anything I have missed out on or should learn. Also would you suggest any concepts or areas I should "pre-learn" (besides definitions and health status indicators) before schools back, and if theres anything else I should do on the holidays.(learning content, attending lectures, watching videos etc.) -- legit anything would be helpful.

Thanks

Hey,
I was in the exact same position as you last year, doing 3/4 health without 1/2.
I found that I was at no disadvantge for not doing 1/2.
Although 1/2 students are exposed to some the content  (Australian guide to healthy eating, medicare ect.), in 3/4 you go into much greater depth.

Do not worry too much about content in (Unit 3 AOS2 and Unit 4), put instead get a good grounding in Unit 3 AOS 1, as this is the foundations of HHD 3/4.
I suggest
-Learning all dimensions of health- have a good definition for each along with 2 or 3 examples that display that dimension of health
-Learn definitions of all health status indicators
-Understand how health and wellbeing is subjective and dynamic
-Learn optimal health and wellbeing + how it is a resource individally, nationally and globally. I pre-wrote and memorised a paragraph for each so when it came to SACs I knew what to write
-Read ahead and make some notes on the WHO prequesites of health and write sentences on how each impact health and wellbeing (see example below)
INCOME- REFERS TO THE MONEY AN INDIDVIAUSL EARNS OR RECIEVES FOR THEIR LABOUR
-Increases the ability to afford healthcare which can consequently prevent or effectively treat illness, promotes physical health and wellbeing
-Increases the ability to afford leisure pursuits which provide an opportunity to meet new people and establish meaningful relationships, contributing to social health and wellbeing

Definately go to a health teachers network lecture (if you haven't gone to the free ATAR notes ones)
https://www.healthteachersnetwork.com.au/resources/events/event-functions
Then lastly, buy either connect education or ATAR notes summaries and then read through these just so you have been exposed to the content.

Wishing you the best of luck
Hope this helps :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 03:32:50 pm by ChiaraS »

Kmenez

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 02:50:39 pm »
Hi,
Thanks so much for responding in detail and giving out this pretty invaluable advice for me at least. I've already booked myself into the HTN lecture before australia day so thats done. I will definetly do the things mentioned and finish it up with a bit of edrolo. Anyway thanks again and good luck for this year, hope you do as well as HHD.