Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 03, 2024, 06:27:32 pm

Author Topic: Mathematics Extension 1: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 8102 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes

This thread is for all exam related discussion. Was it easy? Was it hard? What did you get for 'that' tough question?? Feel free to pop any and all of your thoughts below.

If you don't have an ATAR Notes account yet, no stress! Register for free here!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:40:16 am by jamonwindeyer »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Jimmy.arfanis

• Adventurer
Re: Mathematics Extension 1: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 04:37:13 pm »
fair exam I reckon but definitely harder than last years what did u guys get for 14.b)ii) after the first binomial part?

chillycharles

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 04:44:27 pm »
fair exam I reckon but definitely harder than last years what did u guys get for 14.b)ii) after the first binomial part?

like 23C4 * 2^19 or something
HSC 2018

4 Unit Maths l Advanced English l Chemistry l Physics l Biology

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 04:58:54 pm »
The paper was fine but I was just so unprepared which meant that the whole experience was hellish.....

The whole time all I could think about was that it didn't matter because this is why I did 13 units 🤔😭

The end
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

fkkiwi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 05:01:23 pm »
It was fine up until Q14 which was quite hard, same as Ext2 really
HSC 2018: | English Advanced (91) | Extension 1 Maths (93) | Extension 2 Maths (86) | Physics (90) | Chemistry (92) | Studies of Religion 1 (47) |  ATAR: 98.70

2019: B. Eng (Hons) (Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering) / Computer Science @UNSW

Caleb Campion

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 05:12:11 pm »
Dissapointed overall in how I performed, was really to get as close to 100% as possible :/ So yeah everything was fine until Question 14 basically. I am confident that I got all the marks for all of the questions I solved, but I struggled for time, and struggled with:

Finding the inverse function question for 3 marks. I made some rearranging attempts, but couldn't solve - probably got 1/3 marks.
There was another disgusting quadrilateral with random angles question in 14, like MX2, and I got close but couldn't quite crack - think I got 2 out of 3 marks
The binomial part i) I got very close again, but didn't quite crack - probably 2/3 marks again
And I didn't get time to attempt the last 5 marks!! :(((

Add to that maybe MCQ wrong and another 1 mark for careless mistake, and I'm looking at around 59/60 out of 70. Which is still really good, but not what I was hoping for :( Hopefully it scales well this year since it was definitely harder than the last 2 or more years papers.

jasn9776

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 05:14:24 pm »
Dam 25 raw mark here I come! Even mc I couldnt do the last 2 qs. I just wrote some random stuff for q12 and 13 hopefully I could get some marks. Even the induction like I checked LHS equal the but no it didnt the negative sign was meant to be plus. What did I do wrong. Did anyone else run into the same problem?
HSC 2018: English Adv(88) | Bio (90) | Phys(85) | Software Design (87) | 3U Math (41)

phunky

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 05:21:48 pm »
Yeah, definitely harder than last year's, but I found it alright!  What did everyone get for q10? I was tossing up between A and B, ended up putting B.

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 05:28:23 pm »
I was prepared for the exam to be very hard for me, I've never managed to complete a whole paper because I either run out of time or can't do some questions, so I think that helped to keep me calm in the exam when I couldn't do some questions.

I thought the multiple choice and question 11 in particular were fine. There were a few things that I struggled with in question 12 and 13, like the ferris wheel question and the porabola one where you had to prove that STBA or something was a cyclic quadrilateral and find the diameter. I was annoyed for the inverse function question I did the first 2 parts using the middle section of the graph before realising f(x) was for x > 1, so I had to redo some of it, and I couldn't get part iii. And I agree that question 14 was really hard, I only did the binomial theorum question and part i and ii for the last question.

Overall I found it very hard, and so did the other people in my class. I think I did not too bad in comparison to the practice tests I've done, but I don't really know. Glad it's over!

like 23C4 * 2^19 or something
Same! I was so happy that I managed to do this question at all.

Dam 25 raw mark here I come! Even mc I couldnt do the last 2 qs. I just wrote some random stuff for q12 and 13 hopefully I could get some marks. Even the induction like I checked LHS equal the but no it didnt the negative sign was meant to be plus. What did I do wrong. Did anyone else run into the same problem?
That's frustrating, but I think everyone found it harder than previous years so hopefully it scales well. I just guessed the last 2 multiple choice as well, mostly because I didn't want to waste time working them out, but I had no idea for question 9 anyway.
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle

dazza2020

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 05:42:32 pm »
Yeah, definitely harder than last year's, but I found it alright!  What did everyone get for q10? I was tossing up between A and B, ended up putting B.

I put B as well, hopefully we right.

Most of the paper was challenging but alright, the final limiting sum tho had so many ways it could be expressed that I didn't really get there. Didn't read where x>1 for the inverse function question so lost 1 or 2 there, but besides that, consdering we were predicting a harder paper, it was alright :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 05:44:12 pm by dazza2020 »
HSC 2016: IPT (91)
HSC 2018: English Advanced | Mathematics | Mathematics Extension 1 | Physics | Chemistry | Legal Studies

ATAR Goal: 99.3

A Selective Student

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 06:14:50 pm »
Truly tragic. Spent an hour on Q14 and only got half of them right. Can't believe i didn't see some of them.
The way the test was set out didn't seem that good, it was easy up until q14.
HSC 2018
Advanced English | Maths Ext 1 | Maths Ext 2 | Chemistry | Physics

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 06:18:13 pm »
Common consensus is a bomb in the last question again?

Was honestly hoping that NESA wouldn't do what they did with MX2 again but well, if that was really the case, once again I feel bad for you guys :(

I haven't seen the paper yet at this stage to properly critique

Caleb Campion

• Forum Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 06:21:40 pm »
Common consensus is a bomb in the last question again?

Was honestly hoping that NESA wouldn't do what they did with MX2 again but well, if that was really the case, once again I feel bad for you guys :(

I haven't seen the paper yet at this stage to properly critique

Yeah so it was just really weird I guess :// Definitely harder than last year!! It would've been nice to have the last question be a projectile motion question or something, but nope, they went with another weird series sort of question, and ANOTHER circle-but-not-circle-geometery question??

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 06:23:14 pm »
Yeah so it was just really weird I guess :// Definitely harder than last year!! It would've been nice to have the last question be a projectile motion question or something, but nope, they went with another weird series sort of question, and ANOTHER [color=redcircle-but-not-circle-geometery question??[/color]
Seriously!? What the fuck NESA. The MX2 one was bad enough as is.

envisagator

• Forum Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 06:31:25 pm »
Most part of exam was straight forward until q14. The cylic quad gave reminded me of mxt 2 last question. Felt there was more emphasis on domain and range and curves in general than previous years.
2018 HSC: English Standard          Mathematics EXT 1,2          Physics          Engineering Studies