Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 10:42:04 am

Author Topic: Preparing for Extension 2 English - All Tips  (Read 1970 times)  Share 

frog0101

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Preparing for Extension 2 English - All Tips
« on: August 08, 2018, 07:48:03 am »
Hi,
I am in term 3 of Year 11, and have been considering Extension 2 English. If I do choose to do the subject, I was hoping to come up with a rough idea before the start of Yr 12 (term 4). Does anyone have any tips for how to choose a fantastic idea, and anything else I should know before I start? Would anyone recommend attempting to finish the majority of the task before the end of the Christmas School holidays - and if so, what is the best way to approach this?

Thanks

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Preparing for Extension 2 English - All Tips
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 01:54:36 pm »
+1
Hi,
I am in term 3 of Year 11, and have been considering Extension 2 English. If I do choose to do the subject, I was hoping to come up with a rough idea before the start of Yr 12 (term 4). Does anyone have any tips for how to choose a fantastic idea, and anything else I should know before I start? Would anyone recommend attempting to finish the majority of the task before the end of the Christmas School holidays - and if so, what is the best way to approach this?

Thanks

Hey, frog0101!

Welcome to what may be the most enjoyable subject you do in the HSC  ;D Extension 2 English is an incredibly rewarding journey and it’s amazing to hear that you are already considering what you could do for Year 12. Excellent initiative taking!

Some general tips I could give for generating ideas that I wished I was given for Extension 2 would be the following.

Start off with what interests you. Choosing a fantastic topic starts from something that sparks a fire in you. It’s important you choose something that you know you’ll continue to enjoy investigating in and writing about during your process.

Find what motivates you in English in regards to your texts. Are you interested in critiquing works or are you more inspired by them to write your own? What is it about English that compels you and how do you want to respond? If we use my example, I love 1920’s poetry and my major work was inspired by Harlem jazz poetry. I studied Modernism in Preliminary Extension 1 which was what drew me to it. One of the requirements is to link the major work to texts you have studied and how the major work is an extension of what you have learnt in those courses. Finding what interests you in English, reading one or two of your prescribed texts in advanced and even just researching into unique areas of literature can provide a platform for an amazing idea.

Narrow your scope down. Once you have a grand plan of what you want to explore, choose a certain idea or notion you want to sustain over the process. In my poetry, I wanted to achieve a sense of identity reconciliation in mine and so I chose to take an autobiographical approach similar to Sylvia Plath.

Another thing you should know is that your idea will grow. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing- it actually makes the experience of Extension 2 that much more liberating. Ideas will change, tears will be shed but your approach to the course will become more clear once you engage in it. The major work journal is your best friend in this situation. Give it the love it deserves  :D

I recommend starting on your research once your teacher approves of your idea. The research process is extensive and your drafting should come once you have substance to work with. Finishing the majority of the task will be a big challenge to tackle. I had my first draft for the major work and the reflection statement finished in Term 2 of this year so it does take a while. You just need to dedicate time to it and continually engage in your topic.

I hope this helps and if you have any ideas at the moment, feel free to drop down in this thread your brainstorm! I’d love to share your journey with you as mine is coming to an end  ;D Have a great day  :D :D

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music