Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 03, 2024, 02:27:33 pm

Author Topic: So - any advice for driving tests?  (Read 1877 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
So - any advice for driving tests?
« on: June 18, 2018, 11:43:48 am »
+7
As you may or may not know, I'm currently learning how to drive. My plan is to have my licence by the end of the year.

But I really don't know what to expect in the test (do you do theory and then practical separately?). I'd love some practical advice in this thread of how to prepare well for it, or things to look out for on the day. :)

And let's broaden it up so that we have a nice collection of advice for those going for both their Ls and their Ps.

🚗🚗🚗🚗🚗

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Re: So - any advice for driving tests?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 12:19:27 pm »
+3
As you may or may not know, I'm currently learning how to drive. My plan is to have my licence by the end of the year.

But I really don't know what to expect in the test (do you do theory and then practical separately?). I'd love some practical advice in this thread of how to prepare well for it, or things to look out for on the day. :)

And let's broaden it up so that we have a nice collection of advice for those going for both their Ls and their Ps.

🚗🚗🚗🚗🚗
I'm still stuck on 50ish hours on my L's.

In NSW, there is a practise test here for your L's that you can do online and has almost all of the questions that would be in the actual test. I did it quite a few times and made sure i was getting good marks/close to 100%. The test itself has 45 questions: 15 general knowledge which you need to get 12 correct and 30 road safety questions which you need to get 29 correct.

Theres also a bank of all the possible questions that can be asked here.
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: So - any advice for driving tests?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 12:50:29 pm »
+8

🚗🚗🚗🚗🚗
So for your Ps, it's got 2 aspects - your "hazards" (hazard perception test), where you book in and sit a test on the computer at Vicroads, you basically just have to click when you would act (if you would act at all). Fairly straightforward, it's potato quality so you'll be so paranoid that you've failed but I don't think many people fail their hazards :)
You have to pass your hazards test before you sit your driving test.

Part 2 is the driving test. Basically you just go with your driving instructor and the Vicroads assessor (who sits in the back), the assessor will give you instructions ("at the traffic lights, turn right", "change lanes when safe to do so", etc.) and if they don't say anything you just continue on straight ahead. There's kinda two parts to the driving test - driving on suburban streets (this is when you do your reverse parallel park/three point turn) and driving on main roads/highways.

My driving test (from memory) basically went something like this:
- got in car, did all the testing indicators, headlights, windscreen wipers etc.
- went out, went into some residential streets, did my reverse parallel park
- went onto main roads (~80km/h), did some lange changing, etc.
- went back to Vicroads

My biggest tip is to not forget to stop at the stop sign that's at the exit from your Vicroads - if you forget to stop, that's an instant fail and would just be embarrassing haha. Aside from that, just practice with your driving instructor (they'll know the usual test routes the assessors take you on so you'll be able to do some practice tests) and chill - just pretend the assessor isn't there (and don't forget to make your headchecks and looking in the mirror obvious haha).

I'd recommend reading on the website about the structure of the test. It'll tell you how many errors you can have and stuff and what constitutes an automatic fail.
That's basically it :) Happy to answer any questions. If you've practiced, you'll be fine!

Re: sdfg's comment about driving under the speed limit - always stay a few km under, but don't go too slow, because that's also something they can pull you up on.

Oh, and always make sure you schedule your test so it doesn't coincide with school times, the lunchtime rush or peak hour!