Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 03, 2024, 10:01:21 pm

Author Topic: Module A Help - Metropolis and 1984  (Read 1301 times)

jaiezou

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Module A Help - Metropolis and 1984
« on: June 12, 2018, 09:40:19 pm »
Hey guys,

So a couple of questions:

1. How should i structure my body paragraphs if i am doing a non-integrated essay? How to weave in context?
2. What are the requirements for Module A essays? Like for Discovery, we had to include a conceptual message about discovery...
3. Help with identifying links between the texts, particularly power and control?

Thanks! =)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: Module A Help - Metropolis and 1984
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 09:56:56 pm »
+5
Hey guys,

So a couple of questions:

1. How should i structure my body paragraphs if i am doing a non-integrated essay? How to weave in context?
2. What are the requirements for Module A essays? Like for Discovery, we had to include a conceptual message about discovery...
3. Help with identifying links between the texts, particularly power and control?

Thanks! =)
Hey there,
1. To be honest, a non-integrated essay is inevitable. As someone who highly prefers integrated essays, I had to do non-integrated because one paragraph was reaching 500 words. So I would do:
Para 1: Metropolis
Para 2: 1984 and so on
As for context, your context should emerge from the text. You don't need to constantly refer to the context at every analysis, but you should do at least one sentence on context after your analysis.
For example: The setting of the Worker's City as a place 'below the depths' (paraphrased, don't remember the actual quote off the top of my head) reflects Lang's context of Weimar Germany, where there was tension between the working and upper class due to economic disparities.

2. When it comes to the requirements of Module A, your thesis should be centred around the theme the question addresses. For example, my question centred around the exploration of love and sacrifice- My thesis was essentially how values of love and sacrifice are important elements of humanity and acknowledgement and actions of love reflects the restoration of humanity. It really depends on the question but it should be centred around the main theme of your question as well as your intake of the texts. What did you learn from these texts? Was it the importance of human values? The significance of power and control in our lives?

That being said, DO NOT have your thesis centred around the relationship between the text and context. Firstly, that kind of thesis is vague. Secondly, the whole point of Module A is to compare the two texts despite the varying context. Arguing that context shapes the way composers construct their text won't get you anywhere because that's a regurgitation of the rubric. Remember, you should be using the rubric as your guide, not your thesis. Your thesis should be your stance on the question and the themes of the texts.

3. When it comes to identifying links, see if there are any parts where you can compare and contrast. Both texts come from different context so there will be disparities in the way each composer approaches each idea. You mentioned power and control, so maybe you can contrast the way the oppressed are manipulated, i.e. both texts explore the oppressed but the way the working class are oppressed differ, and then you may possibly include context here to elaborate. You can find more links in the notes section!

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

jaiezou

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Module A Help - Metropolis and 1984
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 06:34:24 pm »
Thanks!
Hey there,
1. To be honest, a non-integrated essay is inevitable. As someone who highly prefers integrated essays, I had to do non-integrated because one paragraph was reaching 500 words. So I would do:
Para 1: Metropolis
Para 2: 1984 and so on
As for context, your context should emerge from the text. You don't need to constantly refer to the context at every analysis, but you should do at least one sentence on context after your analysis.
For example: The setting of the Worker's City as a place 'below the depths' (paraphrased, don't remember the actual quote off the top of my head) reflects Lang's context of Weimar Germany, where there was tension between the working and upper class due to economic disparities.

2. When it comes to the requirements of Module A, your thesis should be centred around the theme the question addresses. For example, my question centred around the exploration of love and sacrifice- My thesis was essentially how values of love and sacrifice are important elements of humanity and acknowledgement and actions of love reflects the restoration of humanity. It really depends on the question but it should be centred around the main theme of your question as well as your intake of the texts. What did you learn from these texts? Was it the importance of human values? The significance of power and control in our lives?

That being said, DO NOT have your thesis centred around the relationship between the text and context. Firstly, that kind of thesis is vague. Secondly, the whole point of Module A is to compare the two texts despite the varying context. Arguing that context shapes the way composers construct their text won't get you anywhere because that's a regurgitation of the rubric. Remember, you should be using the rubric as your guide, not your thesis. Your thesis should be your stance on the question and the themes of the texts.

3. When it comes to identifying links, see if there are any parts where you can compare and contrast. Both texts come from different context so there will be disparities in the way each composer approaches each idea. You mentioned power and control, so maybe you can contrast the way the oppressed are manipulated, i.e. both texts explore the oppressed but the way the working class are oppressed differ, and then you may possibly include context here to elaborate. You can find more links in the notes section!

Hope this helps!