Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 11:20:23 pm

Author Topic: Do you have a niche area of knowledge?  (Read 14930 times)  Share 

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
Re: Do you have a niche area of knowledge?
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2018, 10:36:14 pm »
An interesting question. The first one that comes to mind is the soundcloud rap scene from 2016-present. Drama/gossip and music both. Just because most of the artists I like primarily post on there (or at least started their now big careers there) and I would follow the news closely on youtube to see when new projects are coming out/collaborations etc.

Beyond that the only other one is probably poker, from technical stuff to the history of the game etc. I have seen literally every single televised hand of poker from 2004-2011 and have travelled overseas to play in certain places for extended periods. When my grandpa would babysit me growing up he would always watch it on TV and as an adult I re-discovered those old tv shows and just dived back into them

Are you a big Texas hold'em fan? :)

I absolutely love it... :D
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2018, 03:19:05 pm »
+5
I can tell whether an AA or AAA battery has gone flat by just weighing it on my hand...

This sounds exactly like a Lee Mack lie from Would I Lie to You hahaha. Love it.

@Susie @Kate

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2018, 10:00:00 pm »
+1
This sounds exactly like a Lee Mack lie from Would I Lie to You hahaha. Love it.

@Susie @Kate

Love for you has doubled on the back of this video. WILTY is GOAT.

Do you have a niche area of knowledge though J41?
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

extremeftw

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2018, 09:49:02 pm »
+2

How have you come about that knowledge? Why?

The 1970s (and 60s) were such a pivotal moment in terms of political development and culture. In the UK it really signified a turning point, particularly for the Conservative party. I find that many current political debates have significant and meaningful links back to events in the 70s, and therefore it is still very topical to learn about the period.

Take Watergate for example. This is a fascinating period of history for a few reasons. Firstly, the event itself was very important (the only time a President of the United States has resigned is obviously a significant development). But it is mostly interesting because many developments in American political culture, e.g. a strong cynicism about government, were enhanced by Watergate.

Also, I find it surprising hat people aren't fascinated by the Nixon tape archive as much as I am; we have the (almost) completely unfiltered records of the conversations of a sitting U.S. President for ~2 years!  You can literally go and listen to how China was opened up to the world, how Nixon tried to end the Vietnam War, candid discussions in the Oval Office, etc. It is a truly unique historical resource.

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2018, 10:11:03 pm »
+1
I know a lot about Middle Eastern politics and history, it actually is really interesting  :)

This came about as I was wondering:
- Why is it that the world is as it is?
- Is there some context to the Middle East Prior to the American Invasion?
(Yes, It was very messy even 20 years before the American invasion)

- Did Slaves exist in the World before the Europeans
(Hint hint: The slave trade did Exist before the Europeans)

I'll elaborate on it, in private (for obvious reasons)  :D. But I will say that the reason for all of this is that , the media often showed one side of history. Europeans and slaves, Brits and slaves, Germans and slaves... so I thought, why not the African nation or ME? That led me onto a lot of deep history!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 10:14:09 pm by EEEEEEP »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2018, 09:23:55 am »
Love for you has doubled on the back of this video. WILTY is GOAT.

Do you have a niche area of knowledge though J41?

@Susie @Kate We have another WILTY lover! ;D

Re: your question, I'm honestly not really sure. Like, I think I know a fair bit about the Melbourne Football Club 2000 - present. I guess my thesis topic would qualify as my dataset was really quite specific. Otherwise, I don't think so (but I'll think about it!).

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2018, 09:16:48 pm »
@Susie @Kate We have another WILTY lover! ;D

Re: your question, I'm honestly not really sure. Like, I think I know a fair bit about the Melbourne Football Club 2000 - present. I guess my thesis topic would qualify as my dataset was really quite specific. Otherwise, I don't think so (but I'll think about it!).

Having experienced the force of your Melbourne knowledge, can definitely confirm that this is niche. And Honours would have to be niche.

I know a lot about Middle Eastern politics and history, it actually is really interesting  :)

This came about as I was wondering:
- Why is it that the world is as it is?
- Is there some context to the Middle East Prior to the American Invasion?
(Yes, It was very messy even 20 years before the American invasion)

- Did Slaves exist in the World before the Europeans
(Hint hint: The slave trade did Exist before the Europeans)

I'll elaborate on it, in private (for obvious reasons)  :D. But I will say that the reason for all of this is that , the media often showed one side of history. Europeans and slaves, Brits and slaves, Germans and slaves... so I thought, why not the African nation or ME? That led me onto a lot of deep history!

Are there any important things you wish other people knew?

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2018, 09:51:20 pm »
Having experienced the force of your Melbourne knowledge, can definitely confirm that this is niche. And Honours would have to be niche.

Are there any important things you wish other people knew?

If it was one thing, it would be that the Middle East was in turmoil long before the US came. The Middle East was always in turmoil due to conflict of religion, politics and surrounding nations ! There was lots of geopolitics involving Africa, Mongolia and the Turkish Empire.

Google: Mongol invasions and the Ottoman Empire, and you'll know that they did try invade the Middle East.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 09:53:04 pm by EEEEEEP »

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2018, 09:52:14 pm »
If it was one thing, it would be that the Middle East was in turmoil long before the US came. The Middle East was always in turmoil due to conflict of religion, politics and surrounding nations ! There was lots of geopolitics involving Africa, Mongolia and the Turkish Empire.

Do you think that means that the US didn't contribute to the instability in the middle east though?

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2018, 09:53:46 pm »
Do you think that means that the US didn't contribute to the instability in the middle east though?
They definitely did contribute, but the ME, was never a stable place, like there wasn't even a stable period for 200 years.

Edit: Other western nations had wars, etc, but the ME was always constantly in a hyper state of flux and war.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 10:29:38 pm by EEEEEEP »

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2018, 10:27:59 pm »
+3
Anyone else have a niche area of knowledge? :))

They definitely did contribute, but the ME, was never a stable place, like there wasn't even a stable period for 200 years, unlike Aus,

Probably better for another thread, but I don't think that the fact that there had been instability in the region should necessarily absolve the US of its influence there. It could hardly be argued that any area of the world has experienced a period of "stability", remembering of course that Europe has barely gone a year without a war on its continent.

dashnog

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2018, 03:05:31 am »
+1
The history of music production techniques and histories of specific music producers.
Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholar's Program) at Monash (2021-2023)

ATAR: 94.XX
2019: VCE Biology & VCE Psychology
2020: VCE Extended Investigation, Chemistry, Music Performance, Methods, Literature

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2018, 08:45:47 pm »
The history of music production techniques and histories of specific music producers.

Any hot takes about music production? What's the most interesting/surprising thing about its history?

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2018, 02:42:30 pm »
no way! same here  :D
ATAR: 98.20

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2018, 04:34:36 pm »
+3
I have an unhealthy amount of knowledge about the British royal family (loyal stalker since 2013 lol), and can remember the order, names, titles, and the birth and death years of every reigning monarch from 1066 onwards. (This is how I spend my time instead of remembering dates for my ancient history exam). Also know the birth and death years of all the Tudors, the most interesting family in history IMO.

I can also remember the birthdays of most major classical composers (using the term 'classical' very broadly here ;D)
While we're on the topic of music, I also have perfect pitch, though I guess that's more of a trained ability rather than knowledge.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:06:16 pm by hums_student »
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)