Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 04, 2024, 12:11:23 am

Author Topic: Social media pile ons and public shaming  (Read 1552 times)  Share 

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
Social media pile ons and public shaming
« on: March 27, 2018, 09:09:30 pm »
+1
We often think of public shaming in the sphere of people doing evil things (aka murderers and rapists) , politicians making unpopular decisions. It happens to everyone (even people who have only made 1 mistake. Often after it makes the news... pile ons.

While I won’t show you the most results of public shaming as it is against the rules of AN, it does make me think though, do we go too far sometimes? Has public shaming become sort of an excuse or means to pile on abuse?

The problem with online shaming is that once we’ve let the shaming cat out, it’s hard to get it back in the bag. If we want to make a genuine argument, do not shame others. We’ve ultimately unleashed a mob (which is very powerful in today's online world) on someone without ever being able to explain to them why we did it.

Jon Ronson who did a ted talk once said.....
the social media platform gave us all a chance to speak up and hit back at perceived injustice. But somewhere along the way, things took a turn. We turned into a mob.

This is so far up the rabbit hole it isn’t funny. I used to think of online media as a voice for people, now it’s just a place where people spread vile abuse (and just plainly go over the top became others are doing it).

The Case of Monica Lewinsky
https://www.ted.com/talks/monica_lewinsky_the_price_of_shame) , she had a relationship with a president and was made to hide due to life threats and humiliation. It affected her mental being, physical being and friendships.

Justine Sacco
Justine Sacco She made a comment about AIDS (“Hope I don't get AIDS. Just kidding. I'm white!”. While this isn’t in the same sphere as Monica Lewinsky, did she really deserve the threats that she got? She got embarrassed, had depression and was too afraid to go outside.

It went from:
“racist as **** ” to “Last tweet of your career” to “I hope Justine get aids” … you get the point.

Now, in the light of Steve Smith and the cricket saga, people’s wives are being dragged and shamed. (http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/relationships/marriage/glamorous-australian-cricket-wags-caught-up-in-ball-tampering-scandal/news-story/36fe0d1fe88458f3da7bdff138737969) . Bancroft’s wife and Warner’s wife are getting hateful comments. He is copping it himself too.

“Bunch of Cheats”
“Steve Cheater Smith”
“Steve "*******" Smith”
“Go ****** yourself Smith”

One to a few of the comments even came from a few people that I knew!

There’s a common thread.

Appropriate criticism > personal attacks > life threatening attacks > attacks on family and relatives.

Would people in real life tell Steve smith, Justine Sacco or Monica Lewinsky to seriously you know… injure themselves (or get HIV)?  ….
That brings this q to you?

Is it just the internet that brings out the worse in people (due to the lack of consequence)?  Do people get excitement or happiness out of piling on abuse over someone that's already in a not so good spot?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:12:58 pm by EEEEEEP »

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: Social media pile ons and public shaming
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 09:31:35 pm »
+1
We often think of public shaming in the sphere of people doing evil things (aka murderers and rapists) , politicians making unpopular decisions. It happens to everyone (even people who have only made 1 mistake. Often after it makes the news... pile ons.

While I won’t show you the most results of public shaming as it is against the rules of AN, it does make me think though, do we go too far sometimes? Has public shaming become sort of an excuse or means to pile on abuse?

The problem with online shaming is that once we’ve let the shaming cat out, it’s hard to get it back in the bag. If we want to make a genuine argument, do not shame others. We’ve ultimately unleashed a mob (which is very powerful in today's online world) on someone without ever being able to explain to them why we did it.

Jon Ronson who did a ted talk once said.....
This is so far up the rabbit hole it isn’t funny. I used to think of online media as a voice for people, now it’s just a place where people spread vile abuse (and just plainly go over the top became others are doing it).

The Case of Monica Lewinsky
https://www.ted.com/talks/monica_lewinsky_the_price_of_shame) , she had a relationship with a president and was made to hide due to life threats and humiliation. It affected her mental being, physical being and friendships.

Justine Sacco
Justine Sacco She made a comment about AIDS (“Hope I don't get AIDS. Just kidding. I'm white!”. While this isn’t in the same sphere as Monica Lewinsky, did she really deserve the threats that she got? She got embarrassed, had depression and was too afraid to go outside.

It went from:
“racist as **** ” to “Last tweet of your career” to “I hope Justine get aids” … you get the point.

Now, in the light of Steve Smith and the cricket saga, people’s wives are being dragged and shamed. (http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/relationships/marriage/glamorous-australian-cricket-wags-caught-up-in-ball-tampering-scandal/news-story/36fe0d1fe88458f3da7bdff138737969) . Bancroft’s wife and Warner’s wife are getting hateful comments. He is copping it himself too.

“Bunch of Cheats”
“Steve Cheater Smith”
“Steve "*******" Smith”
“Go ****** yourself Smith”

One to a few of the comments even came from a few people that I knew!

There’s a common thread.

Appropriate criticism > personal attacks > life threatening attacks > attacks on family and relatives.

Would people in real life tell Steve smith, Justine Sacco or Monica Lewinsky to seriously you know… injure themselves (or get HIV)?  ….
That brings this q to you?

Is it just the internet that brings out the worse in people (due to the lack of consequence)?  Do people get excitement or happiness out of piling on abuse over someone that's already in a not so good spot?
Yes
People use the internet as a mask, to conceal themselves. They hide behind to make their comments. It's kind of like saying something about someone behind their back. You aren't getting in trouble from the person for saying it (albeit for the reason they don't know you said it, not that they cannot confront you directly as the comments were made on social media); so there are no consequences arising from confrontation. They think they can get away with it.
There are probably some people who would publically call out abuse at people like this, but the majority are just hiding behind the internet as you said.
There is a fine line between criticism and straight up unnecessary and inappropriate abuse. Using this cricket scandal as an example, criticism is appropriate. They're international sporting stars who were caught cheating. That's not okay and it needs to be dealt with and they should be punished, yes. But that's as far as it should go. No more. It is totally uncalled for to totally go out of your way to abuse someone, it's just not on at all.
They feel bad about their own lives, so they just look for a scapegoat to blame and to take out their anger on. It makes them feel good to say bad things about people. They use other people's sadness to make themselves feel better about themselves, using social media as a platform to hide behind in order to gain attention and not suffer consequences and it's just downright appaling
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 01:44:04 pm »
+6
I think it's absolutely ridiculous.  We've all done or will do some awful things (well, almost all of us) and don't deserve to be sent hundreds of hate messages or death threats for them.  I recommend listening to Monica Lewinsky's TED talk on this.

Best we can do is to not join in.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

visiblegirl

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 11:06:35 am »
Sometimes it's over the top (like that 'my culture is not your god damn prom dress') but it can sometimes be positive when someone does something truly horrific and is held accountable online.