Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 03:55:48 pm

Author Topic: Semester One Timetable Thread [2018]  (Read 9240 times)  Share 

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Semester One Timetable Thread [2018]
« on: February 03, 2018, 09:23:23 pm »
+7
In preparation for timetables being released @ 10am on the 6th of Feb  :P

How many contacts hours? Any days off? or tips for newbies (although late for monash/but may have chances to adjust)?

My tips... (so far)
·For subjects with MSTs** during tutes and where you need to submit assignments during tutes put these on friday or thursday if possible that way you end up getting the most time to complete/study for them + could get tips from students in earlier tutes.
·If you don't go to lectures try to put them in the morning so that your tutes are generally going to be in the afternoon if possible.
·The timetable is only valid for 12 weeks so doesn't matter how good or how bad it is you will get a new one sooner than you think.
·If you don't like your lecture slots check whether there are multiple streams if so you can "unoficially" go to the other stream and no one will know or care. This won't work for lectures with compulsory attendance or tutorials.
·There is a 10 minute gap between lectures so you generally won't have to rush to your next class unless the lecturer goes overtime which is rare since the recordings stop.
·Recordings are probably 99% effective (the uni stresses you can't rely on technological failures but the worst that has happened to me is the sound wasn't captured) so if you have only a single lecture and live relatively far away from uni you can watch it at home.

**MST = Mid Semester Test (get used to it) :P

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Semester One Timetable Thread [2018]
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 10:08:36 pm »
+3
Regarding this issue:
·Recordings are probably 99% effective (the uni stresses you can't rely on technological failures but the worst that has happened to me is the sound wasn't captured) so if you have only a single lecture and live relatively far away from uni you can watch it at home.
They usually are willing to post last year's lecture where available if this occurs. Just ask nicely on Moodle.
Oh and Moodle is the portal with all your online stuff. As Sine said, "Get used to it."

Also, hot tips for JAFFYs, skip the hour breaks, try not to have more than 4 hrs in a row and try to avoid the dreaded double labs. It's draining, it's annoying and it's simply not a good idea.

Amendment to this tip by Sine:
·If you don't go to lectures try to put them in the morning so that your tutes are generally going to be in the afternoon if possible.
To be honest, put any no-attendance-requiring classes first out of your classes for the day. If you're a person who tends to accidentally sleep in (but likes to attend lectures), this tip is super helpful to not miss all the ones with attendance requirements.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:25:49 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

vilamonikoro1

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 12:02:11 am »
Regarding this issue:They usually are willing to post last year's lecture where available if this occurs. Just ask nicely on Moodle.
Oh and Moodle is the portal with all your online stuff. As Sine said, "Get used to it."

Also, hot tips for JAFFYs, skip the hour breaks, try not to have more than 4 hrs in a row and try to avoid the dreaded double labs. It's draining, it's annoying and it's simply not a good idea.

Amendment to this tip by Sine:To be honest, put any no-attendance-requiring classes first out of your classes for the day. If you're a person who tends to accidentally sleep in (but likes to attend lectures), this tip is super helpful to not miss all the ones with attendance requirements.
What’s wrong with hour breaks ?? 🤔🤔

When’s the best day to make your day with no classes. I have Friday atm, but Monday looks good too, maybe Wednesday..

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 12:54:55 am »
+3
What’s wrong with hour breaks ?? 🤔🤔
It's just super unproductive. Hour breaks realistically turn into half hour breaks, sometimes less, so it just becomes an inconvenience more than anything. The reasons range from lectures going overtime to waiting in line for lunch or simply trying to move through campus to your next class, because campus is sometimes crowded during semester. Either way, it's usually something you'll understand once you actually hit semester. 

When’s the best day to make your day with no classes. I have Friday atm, but Monday looks good too, maybe Wednesday..
This is usually up to you. Sometimes it's dictated by your other commitments outside of uni.
VTAC Info Thread

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
  • Do not touch the great one
  • Respect: -14
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 02:13:07 pm »
+1
I have like 0 choice with my law units. Single unit allocation.

It's hard basing my life with what the uni wants and not the other way around.

In the workplace you have a set schedule and don't need to uproot everything every half year 

Bachelor of Laws @ Monash (2nd year)

Feel free to PM me about anything, happy to give advice about school and/or uni.

melbperson

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 05:17:36 pm »
what is a double lab? I also tried the will.io website to see the timetable and two practicals were together

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 05:23:11 pm »
what is a double lab? I also tried the will.io website to see the timetable and two practicals were together
if it's for the same subejct it probably means two different sets of dates i.e one may run weeks 1-6 and the other weeksn 7-12 hence for your "total timetable" it looks like a clash even though there isn't one

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 05:25:19 pm »
+1
Double lab basically means you have two labs back to back or almost (probably with an hour break), within the one day. I’ve experienced this before on Thursdays and Fridays (all 4 units had labs) last year. It was not fun to say the least.

As for “together”, did you mean for two different units or a single unit? The former is a clash. In the latter, one unit may move location for lab in certain weeks and put that through Allocate+.

Note: Sine posted while I was typing. Leaving the second paragraph for additional clarification.
VTAC Info Thread

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 05:33:55 pm »
+1
I feel you on this- but then again my cohort is quite small, so I can see why my faculty makes my timetable for me instead of using allocate+ :)

I'm unlucky- I don't get my timetable until the 20th; it's not fun trying to rearrange stuff around 6 days before semester starts
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 10:06:41 pm »

What units are you doing?
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

sweetcheeks

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +83
  • School: ---
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 10:19:18 pm »
As a UoM student, how does Monash's timetabling work?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 10:27:58 pm »
+2
As a UoM student, how does Monash's timetabling work?
preference system (generally) some units or portions of units may be "auto-allocated" which means you have no choice as to where and when that lecture/tutorial/lab is. Sometimes you also get the normal "first come first serve" go where we can pick from a bunch.

For prefernces you generally put down 6 choices for labs/tutorials then maybe 2-3 for lectures and the system will try to work how give the most people their 1st pref.

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 10:17:40 am »
+1
Timetables are out! How do they look?

I didn't get everything I wanted, but it's not too bad  :-\. Was to be expected though - can't expect all your first preferences when you're overloading with 23 contact hours.
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 10:19:17 am »
+1
if I'd gotten my first preferences I would have had a day where I didn't need to travel in, but unfortunately the system decided I needed to have a 4 hour lab on that day.  Oh well, at least my week is a lot more balanced now.

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 10:35:50 am »
+1
if I'd gotten my first preferences I would have had a day where I didn't need to travel in, but unfortunately the system decided I needed to have a 4 hour lab on that day.  Oh well, at least my week is a lot more balanced now.
You can keep refreshing to see if a slot frees up. I just managed to avoid back-to-back pracs! :)
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]