Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 01, 2024, 04:23:50 am

Author Topic: Apply to be a Moderator in 2018!  (Read 8547 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Apply to be a Moderator in 2018!
« on: December 18, 2017, 07:23:44 pm »
+20
Want to be our next moderator?
 Click here!

The ATAR Notes Moderator Team are what keeps the site moving smoothly. They facilitate discussion, keep things organised, contribute content, and just generally make the forums a better place for everyone. Being a moderator is an amazing opportunity to help steer AN in cool new directions, it looks great on resumes, and you'll get access to sections of the forums no one else can see (it is mostly just lots of banter).

What are the Criteria? There are no hard criteria for becoming a moderator, but we'd expect users to have an established history of contributions and helpful posts on the forums (particularly in the area they want to moderate), and be able to continue this into the future. You should be able to bring ideas for improving the forums and be able to help make those ideas a reality.

You do not need to have graduated to be a moderator, and you do not need to be a genius in your subject area to be a moderator! :)

What are the Responsibilities? State moderators should be doing two things. First, they need to be keeping their section(s) of the forums clean and organised. Getting rid of spam, ensuring that all new topics are in the right place, making sure that resources are organised with mega-threads if required – Etc, etc.

Secondly, and definitely more importantly, moderators need to be promoting the positive culture of ATAR Notes, making their section a better place. This is totally up to interpretation, but a few awesome things that State mods have done that meet this description perfectly:

- This Debating Thread for HSC History Extension students to swap ideas and gain new perspectives on their content.

- Aural Analysis Club, a semi-regular chance for practice of a specific section of the exam.

- This Week in Chemistry – A news thread where news stories are shared to promote wider understanding of the topic area.

- The Creative Corner, an entire section spearheaded by Coffee.

Do you need to be writing a guide a week or hosting a huge competition 100% of the time? Absolutely not, but the most effective state moderators will be doing things like this, even just on occasion. At the basic level, we expect state moderators to be encouraging questions and/or responding to questions in their relevant section. In general, just create good vibes – It goes a long way to making this site the amazing community it is :)

How Many Moderators Will We Choose? We don't have a threshold we want or need to meet. It will depend on the applicants, the sections they are passionate about moderating, and where we feel people will be able to contribute the most :)

Know someone who would be perfect? Give them a shout out below!! It might encourage them to put their name forward. We'd hate for a deserving member of the community not to apply because they feel intimidated by the process.

Interested in applying? Click here!

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
Re: Apply to be a Moderator in 2018!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 07:35:25 pm »
+11
Know someone who would be perfect? Give them a shout out below!! It might encourage them to put their name forward. We'd hate for a deserving member of the community not to apply because they feel intimidated by the process.

Quantum44, I'm looking at you ;)
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !

snowisawesome

• Forum Leader
  • lebron james the goat
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 07:36:15 pm »
How many posts do you need to become a moderator?

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 07:38:28 pm »
+10
I nominate you, Cookiedream. In all seriousness, I do. I think you'd be great.

(Reason I haven't nominated myself is because I'm not sure what I'm doing next year and if I'll even be on the forums regularly enough.)

How many posts do you need to become a moderator?
I don't think there's a number. As long as you're super helpful and have a certain area that you help a lot in.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:41:48 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 07:53:08 pm »
+9
Quote from: jamonwindeyer
At the basic level, we expect state moderators to be encouraging questions and/or responding to questions in their relevant section. In general, just create good vibes – It goes a long way to making this site the amazing community it is :)

I would like to highlight this, so much. If you do apply, you understand that you need to be an active contributor to your section (contributing, along with moderation actions where necessary). You are essentially the 'gatekeeper' for the sections you are assigned to.

This means making guides, responding to questions, making the section the best it can be... etc :)

I wish everybody the best of luck with their applications and hope to see some fresh faces soon :)

Any questions, again, please post here and one of us will respond :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:01:06 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 07:55:01 pm »
+6
Seconding this, and looking at you too, cookiedream! ;D
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 08:03:29 pm »
+11
@miniturtle

@Shadowxo

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 08:16:17 pm »
+9

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 08:35:10 pm »
+15
That Jamon guy would make a great mod imo
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 08:38:29 pm »
+9
That Jamon guy would make a great mod imo
Who?

snowisawesome

• Forum Leader
  • lebron james the goat
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 08:40:54 pm »
Can moderators remain moderators for as long as they want, or is there a limit to the amount of time they can be a moderator for?

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 08:45:31 pm »
+6
Can moderators remain moderators for as long as they want, or is there a limit to the amount of time they can be a moderator for?
I think you can be a mod till your old and grey if you wanted to be - but if life is getting too hectic, you can opt out of it kinda? May be wrong  :D

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 08:46:26 pm »
+16
Other good contenders I would like to nominate, because these guys are no brainers (so much so that I don't even need to link their profiles!):
- Zhen
- Paigek3
- Beatroot
- Opengangs
- VanillaRice
- Rodero
- Fantasticbeasts3
- Clarke54321

This is not an exhaustive list, by the way. Just ones I've noticed, can recall at this point in time and have yet to be mentioned. 
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 08:55:28 pm »
+14
Obviously I cannot make official endorsements or recommendations for specific people.... but for those who have contributed and feel like they are mature enough to take on this position and help others who are going to be doing their Year 12 etc next year.... please put your name forward. Some names have already been mentioned above that would be ideal candidates :)

Even if you have doubts that you can be a mod.. we examine based on merit so if you're a new-er person but have been making super awesome contributions, just try! Let us know why you want to join us and show that you're interested. Convince us.

Attitude and a willingness to positively contribute is definitely the key pre-requisite (in addition to activity)... get that sorted and the rest is left to us. :)

Honestly, it doesn't matter if you've been a member for 2 months or 5 years (unfortunately, like me, who's probably a bit past the expiry date).
You need to hit that submit button to be in the running... :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:02:14 pm by Aaron »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 09:10:22 pm »
+6

As long as they're active and contributing to their section, sure. They most certainly can opt-out if they find that life is getting in the way. :) We do recommend that so that somebody else who is keen for an opportunity to take their place. Rarely do mods get removed, unless they have been inactive for a significant amount of time without letting anybody know (or if they .. act in a way which is against what we expect of mods).
I think you can be a mod till your old and grey if you wanted to be - but if life is getting too hectic, you can opt out of it kinda? May be wrong  :D
Not wrong in the slightest :) Ty.
Although.. one would question why you would still be modding when your hair is grey...... bigger things await in your young lives! im probably the last person who should be stating this lol
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:12:26 pm by Aaron »