Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 07:50:08 pm

Author Topic: What to expect on Exam 2?  (Read 6550 times)  Share 

NathanG

• Trailblazer
  • 2+2=4-1=3
  • Respect: 0
What to expect on Exam 2?
« on: November 04, 2017, 09:43:18 am »
+1
With exam 2 on Monday, I thought it would be a good idea to start a sort of last-minute thread about what people think will be on the exam, especially with the weekend to study for it..
So far I've come up with the following (correct me if I'm wrong, this is purely based off of exam 1 and previous years' gaps in knowledge, also it's only for Core, Matrices, and Geometry / Measurement as they're the modules I'm doing)
- Smoothing (3-5-7 median, mean, etc)
- Log transformations
- Bearings of some description (not really seen on Exam 1)
- Arc Lengths
- Great Circles
- Sectors?**
- CoSine Rule
Any other suggestions??
2017 ATAR: 79
2016 | Biology (30)
2017 | English (35) | Further Maths (35) | Business Management (40) | Psychology (31) | Physical Education (33) |

DAM0005DAM

• Fresh Poster
Re: What to expect on Exam 2?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 10:00:44 am »
Hamiltonian for matrices I reckon

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 05:28:38 pm »
+1
Any indicated with *** are almost surefire questions in Exam 2. They have consistently been on there in previous years.
Note that my knowledge is not up to date and some of this may have been taken out of the syllabus.
Core: Data and Stats
Likely to have more on:
- describing trends in data (written/ sentence-long answers) ***
- explanation questions ***
- normal distribution
- regression analysis ***
- transformations in general (not just log)
- coefficient of determination (r2)
- finish the graph/ plotting points

Geometry and Measurement (Note: Remember units!)
- Pythagoras theorem in 3D
- scale factors/ ratios
- similar/ congruent triangles 

Graphs and Relations
- completing graphs/ drawing in one line
- shading sections of inequalities in (Don't forget your legend!)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 05:57:38 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

winged dragon 151

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 05:33:05 pm »
Hamiltonian for matrices I reckon

Hamiltonian is for networks and decision maths not matrices  ;D

winged dragon 151

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 05:35:45 pm »
Core: Data and Stats
Likely to have more on:
- describing trends in data (written/ sentence-long answers)
- explanation questions
- normal distribution
- transformations in general (not just log)
- coefficient of determination (r2)
- finish the graph/ plotting points

Geometry and Measurement (Note: Remember units!)
- Pythagoras theorem in 3D
- scale factors/ ratios
- similar/ congruent triangles 

Graphs and Relations
- completing graphs/ drawing in one line
- shading sections of inequalities in (Don't forget your legend!)

Note that my knowledge is not up to date and some of this may have been taken out of the syllabus.

Hey Angel Wings, I remember you in a post of mine about a SAC Score..............................
Well I completed Exam 1 and I know I got 29/40 and 9 of my mistakes were overlooking (not reading as time was going quickly) questions.
How can I stop this before my next one?

elle6299

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 05:37:58 pm »
Hey, I was just wondering if with working out bearings, is it always in a clockwise direction and never anticlockwise? Thankyou in advance.

elle6299

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 05:39:26 pm »
Hey Angel Wings, I remember you in a post of mine about a SAC Score..............................
Well I completed Exam 1 and I know I got 29/40 and 9 of my mistakes were overlooking (not reading as time was going quickly) questions.

This was the same as me

addictwithatextbook

• Forum Regular
  • Hello :)
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 05:47:10 pm »
+1
What I think will be on Exam 2:

CORE: Data Analysis
- A question on a dot plot or stem plot (or any other plot but these weren't seen in exam 1)
- A question (maybe joined with the dot/stem plot) of the 68-95-99.7% rule (wasn't in exam 1)
- A regression analysis (maybe find a least squares equation, draw regression line, describing scatterplot in terms of strength, direction, and form, interpret intercept or slope, interpret coefficient of determination, maybe find correlation coefficient from coefficient of determination, predicting and residuals, is it a reliable prediction?)
- A transformation question (finding coefficients of an equation, regression analysis again maybe)
- A question(s) on time series (describe pattern/trend, three/five moving means, moving medians, finding a seasonal index, deseasonalising, finding an actual value from predicting from a deseasonalised equation)

CORE: Recursion and Financial Modelling
- A small question either on simple interest or depreciation (asking for a recurrence relation or a rule, finding a value after n periods, finding a time after a certain value)
- A large question(s) on a loan or annuity, likely an annuity, with several complex Finance Solver uses in the latter pages.

Matrices
- A short question on any matrix products (likely to have summing, asking an element or row/column sum in context)
- A question on simultaneous equations.
- A question on dominance (calculating most dominant, maybe changes if one person/team one instead, etc.) (wasn't in exam 1)
- A large question on state and transition matrices (creating a transition matrix from a transition diagram, using that transition matrix to calculate state matrix after a short number of terms and a large number of terms, calculating the steady state, the same equation except with an addition matrix, etc.)

Networks and Decision Mathematics
- A question on travelling (sub-question may vary heaps, Eulerian/Hamiltionian stuff, shortest path, minimum spanning tree)
- A question on minimum allocation and the Hungarian Algorithm (wasn't in exam 1)
- A question on an activity network (last sub-questions likely to have crashing, as crashing wasn't in exam 1)
- Maybe a question on maximum flow (which changes like increased capacity)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 02:17:00 pm by addictwithatextbook »
VCE Subjects:
2017: Further Mathematics | Biology 1 & 2
2018: Legal Studies 3 & 4 | Chemistry | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | English | Psychology

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 05:54:37 pm »
+1
This was the same as me
I've actually just answered this question on another of Deyshan's posts, so maybe the two of you might want to have a look at that. :)
Also, in future, could you guys please refrain from double posting and modify your posts instead? The mods would appreciate that.

Hey, I was just wondering if with working out bearings, is it always in a clockwise direction and never anticlockwise? Thankyou in advance.
It depends.
If you're working with true bearings, then you'll only ever work in the clockwise direction.
If you're working with standard compass bearings (ones with North, South, East and West), then I would consider which direction is easiest. For me, it is usually easier to work with North and East (clockwise). When you get South and West directions, I would consider the lazy person's route and probably just choose to work with South and West if it was easier. ::)
It depends on how you prefer to work and that this may not be the way you like to do things; I would just recommend that you do it the way you are most comfortable.
VTAC Info Thread

elle6299

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 05:59:13 pm »
If you're working with true bearings, then you'll only ever work in the clockwise direction.
If you're working with standard compass bearings (ones with North, South, East and West), then I would consider which direction is easiest. For me, it is usually easier to work with North and East (clockwise). When you get South and West directions, I would consider the lazy person's route and probably just choose to work with South and West if it was easier. ::)
It depends on how you prefer to work and that this may not be the way you like to do things; I would just recommend that you do it the way you are most comfortable.

Thankyou so much, I was referring to examples like find the bearing of B from A, so I think that's true bearings. Thankyou!

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 06:04:54 pm »
Thankyou so much, I was referring to examples like find the bearing of B from A, so I think that's true bearings. Thankyou!
Yup!
Also, be wary of the wording. A from B is different to B from A!
VTAC Info Thread

omxrk

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 06:05:04 pm »
Hey guys,

For exam 2 is working out required for all questions worth 2 marks and more? Do we have to write the finance solver inputs for questions?

Also my SAC average is around 95 (Rank 5 in a strong cohort), 38/40 for exam 1 and if I get around 57/60 (95%) for exam 2 what kind of SS am I looking at?

Thanks!

elle6299

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 06:06:25 pm »
Yup!
Also, be wary of the wording. A from B is different to B from A!

Yeah, I've never really understood bearings but I've got the hang of it today! Thanks heaps!

Steve252

• Forum Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 10:52:51 pm »
Hey guys,

For exam 2 is working out required for all questions worth 2 marks and more? Do we have to write the finance solver inputs for questions?

Also my SAC average is around 95 (Rank 5 in a strong cohort), 38/40 for exam 1 and if I get around 57/60 (95%) for exam 2 what kind of SS am I looking at?

Thanks!

Right, so for questions worth more than 1 mark, ALWAYS show working, and finance solver input does count, so always write it down
Regarding the scores, those exact marks gave a 45 last year, but considering the increased difficulty of the exam, I'd say 46 :)

Izzy999

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 05:04:33 pm »
What should I expect in terms of difficulty with the questions on exam 2. Roughly how tricky are they compared to exam 1? I did well on exam 1 (compared to my teachers answers) but now I'm stressing that I won't be able to do the same on exam 2, since I'm more prone to making silly mistakes...
2016: Psych [42]
2017: Chem [43] Lit [41] Methods [36] Drama [31] Further [50]~ 98.2