Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 02, 2024, 01:14:57 pm

Author Topic: ATAR Notes - English (Paper 1) Practice Paper!  (Read 11188 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
ATAR Notes - English (Paper 1) Practice Paper!
« on: October 13, 2017, 10:43:09 pm »
+12
The response to our last practice paper was so awesome, we knew we had to do another. And so we have!!

You can download a full Paper 1 exam below - Just register if you haven't already and you'll see the download link just below this post!!

Happy studying guys ;D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 12:27:07 am by jamonwindeyer »

olliesfield

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: ATAR Notes - English (Paper 1) Practice Paper!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 03:17:16 pm »
Having a bit of trouble understanding the short story extract

can anyone help me out?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 03:45:11 pm »
+3
Having a bit of trouble understanding the short story extract

can anyone help me out?

Take it quite literally - the story is about exactly what you think it is! The short answer is only asking you to talk about imagery, so you don't need to try and interpret the plot line too much. But, it truly is exactly about what it says, it's not necessarily a metaphor (although it could be if you wanted it to be!)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 03:50:39 pm »
+2
Take it quite literally - the story is about exactly what you think it is! The short answer is only asking you to talk about imagery, so you don't need to try and interpret the plot line too much. But, it truly is exactly about what it says, it's not necessarily a metaphor (although it could be if you wanted it to be!)

Haha exactly what I was just about to say Elyse. As weird as the story sounds, take it at face value and the discovery is pretty simple :) Sometimes when stories are like that and seem highly influenced by the imagination it is tempting to think surely there's an overriding metaphor or symbol here but yeah it's a weird, literal discovery
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 03:54:57 pm »
Haha exactly what I was just about to say Elyse. As weird as the story sounds, take it at face value and the discovery is pretty simple :) Sometimes when stories are like that and seem highly influenced by the imagination it is tempting to think surely there's an overriding metaphor or symbol here but yeah it's a weird, literal discovery

How would you go if this was the exact paper they gave you on Monday, dancing phalanges? Would you be confident with it?

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 04:03:43 pm »
How would you go if this was the exact paper they gave you on Monday, dancing phalanges? Would you be confident with it?

I thought I was relatively confident with Texts 1-3. I think Text 4 was a bit harder to grasp in terms of obvious techniques but in terms of relating it to different perspectives it wasn't overly difficult either :) With the creative, if you remember my story, the mother plans out and deliberately sets out to bring the truth about her father to the daughter so I don't know if you have any suggestions on maybe whether the daughter is walking with the mother and sees a tree like the one she planted with her father and then the mother decides to tell her the truth thus making it unplanned. In saying that, the mothers discovery of her own strength is unplanned as its an unexpected offshoot of her going out to tell grace the truth, so interested to hear your thoughts if you had time :) For the essay, that wouldn't be too bad as it is pretty open. Gray's journey the north coast is a planned discovery in the way that he deliberately sets out to rediscover his hometown and then i'd contrast (and therefore argue to a moderate extent) with flames and dangling wires where the impact is just as significant despite being unplanned (arguing that unexpected discoveries are just as significant in that they often challenge assumptions and beliefs etc.) and then my ORT boys in the island, the boy plans to explore the mainland and the impact it has on him is heavily influenced by this as in planning the trip he has previous assumptions as to what it will be like and therefore, the unexpected discovery of its corruption is far more impacting.
So overall not too bad in my opinion, room to move in all questions :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 04:11:19 pm »
+1
I thought I was relatively confident with Texts 1-3. I think Text 4 was a bit harder to grasp in terms of obvious techniques but in terms of relating it to different perspectives it wasn't overly difficult either :) With the creative, if you remember my story, the mother plans out and deliberately sets out to bring the truth about her father to the daughter so I don't know if you have any suggestions on maybe whether the daughter is walking with the mother and sees a tree like the one she planted with her father and then the mother decides to tell her the truth thus making it unplanned. In saying that, the mothers discovery of her own strength is unplanned as its an unexpected offshoot of her going out to tell grace the truth, so interested to hear your thoughts if you had time :) For the essay, that wouldn't be too bad as it is pretty open. Gray's journey the north coast is a planned discovery in the way that he deliberately sets out to rediscover his hometown and then i'd contrast (and therefore argue to a moderate extent) with flames and dangling wires where the impact is just as significant despite being unplanned (arguing that unexpected discoveries are just as significant in that they often challenge assumptions and beliefs etc.) and then my ORT boys in the island, the boy plans to explore the mainland and the impact it has on him is heavily influenced by this as in planning the trip he has previous assumptions as to what it will be like and therefore, the unexpected discovery of its corruption is far more impacting.
So overall not too bad in my opinion, room to move in all questions :)

That's awesome to hear! I think your creative focuses on unplanned discoveries in a lot of ways - I mean the mother discovered herself in a predicament she could never have imagined, so all you'd need to do is tease out specific elements to nail it home from there!

Great to hear that you're feeling on top of things! :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 04:17:25 pm »
That's awesome to hear! I think your creative focuses on unplanned discoveries in a lot of ways - I mean the mother discovered herself in a predicament she could never have imagined, so all you'd need to do is tease out specific elements to nail it home from there!

Great to hear that you're feeling on top of things! :)

That's actually really true! An obvious discovery (wasn't thinking about it that way haha). Thanks Elyse :) The only part of the rubric I am struggling to link/adapt my creative to is an intellectual discovery as its highly emotional and existential.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:21:48 pm by dancing phalanges »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 04:41:04 pm »
+1
That's actually really true! An obvious discovery (wasn't thinking about it that way haha). Thanks Elyse :) The only part of the rubric I am struggling to link/adapt my creative to is an intellectual discovery as its highly emotional and existential.

Remember the intellect is the faculty of reasoning, so an intellectual discovery has everything to do with reasoning. And I think you can really explore the "reasoning" behind the mother's actions in the interests of her daughter!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 04:42:07 pm »
Remember the intellect is the faculty of reasoning, so an intellectual discovery has everything to do with reasoning. And I think you can really explore the "reasoning" behind the mother's actions in the interests of her daughter!

100% right! Thanks again! Life-saver! :)

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 04:46:50 pm »
I just finished section 1 and 2 of this paper and I was trying to interpret text 3 metaphorically for a good 10 minutes all to no avail. I ended up just writing generic statements like- The composer employs confronting kinesthetic imagery such as in the explicit connotations, 'The mustached man who had passionately taught a classroom... suddenly turned up dead' to convey both the barriers of time, and the sudden and unexpected nature of discoveries.

However, in trials, I lost so many marks for not explaining the actual text. We got it externally marked so I didn't really know what she wanted me to do. So if I just made 3 statements like this would I get full marks even though I literally... metaphorically have no idea what's going on?

Also, the stimulus basically summed up my creative in eight words so hopefully we get something similar to that.

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 04:53:39 pm »
+1
I just finished section 1 and 2 of this paper and I was trying to interpret text 3 metaphorically for a good 10 minutes all to no avail. I ended up just writing generic statements like- The composer employs confronting kinesthetic imagery such as in the explicit connotations, 'The mustached man who had passionately taught a classroom... suddenly turned up dead' to convey both the barriers of time, and the sudden and unexpected nature of discoveries.

However, in trials, I lost so many marks for not explaining the actual text. We got it externally marked so I didn't really know what she wanted me to do. So if I just made 3 statements like this would I get full marks even though I literally... metaphorically have no idea what's going on?

Also, the stimulus basically summed up my creative in eight words so hopefully we get something similar to that.

As Elyse said up there, I personally interpreted Text 3 literally, as in I wrote (spoiler for those who haven't attempted it):
Spoiler
Something along the lines of how at first, she was anxious to embrace the discovery, referencing imagery such as "the colour drained from her face." However, motivated by her own curiosity, she eventually discovered the new world growing on her tongue. I used imagery such as "trees swayed gracefully in the breeze" and "tiny hotels with beautifully framed windows like those in Paris" to highlight how as a result of her discovery, she gained an exciting insight into a new world of possibilities. Might not be 100% correct, but that's how I interpreted it in essence. :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 05:21:48 pm »
+2
As Elyse said up there, I personally interpreted Text 3 literally, as in I wrote (spoiler for those who haven't attempted it):
Spoiler
Something along the lines of how at first, she was anxious to embrace the discovery, referencing imagery such as "the colour drained from her face." However, motivated by her own curiosity, she eventually discovered the new world growing on her tongue. I used imagery such as "trees swayed gracefully in the breeze" and "tiny hotels with beautifully framed windows like those in Paris" to highlight how as a result of her discovery, she gained an exciting insight into a new world of possibilities. Might not be 100% correct, but that's how I interpreted it in essence. :)

Really great analysis by the sounds of things! I deliberately put this text in because I know students desperately look for another level (that student was me) and it can mean you waste a lot of time. And I deliberately put text 4 in because it is a unique style of writing and text type, as a transcript, so I wanted to throw something in there that is (genuinely an interesting text) not so typical to see, so the less creative techniques can be explored.

georgiia

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 05:51:29 pm »
Could someone please take a look at me thesis/intro? I’m doing the tempest and moonrise kingdom is my relates

Thanks!! :)

theofficialsabrina

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 07:28:37 pm »
Can anyone mark the first two 2 mark questions. I'm not sure if I'm getting the full 2 marks. Thanks.

a) Through the use of salient image, the photograph prompts the viewer to consider perspective. The sun being the focal point, challenges the viewer to understand that, because of the careful positioning of the camera, the subject looks as though he is holding the sun.

b) Discovery may be sudden and unexpected. Through the use of second person inclusive language in 'You own nothing', Atwood confronts the reader, even though we did not expect to be a part of the text.