Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 03, 2024, 07:33:25 pm

Author Topic: Comparative Essay  (Read 2717 times)  Share 

tinasdbest

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Comparative Essay
« on: September 12, 2017, 05:30:49 pm »
Hi,
Can someone please give me some ideas on what I should talk about in each of the body paragraphs for my comparison essay between Year of Wonders and The Crucible. The topic is: 'In texts Year of Wonders and The Crucible, how does fear affect the community?'

Thankyou.

Lavanya

• Fresh Poster
Re: Comparative Essay
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 06:26:38 pm »
Hi guys,
I have the same topic for my SAC too tomorrow any ideas???
I thought to write my first body paragraph on how fear can make people to act irrationally. I don't know what else to write about.
If you have any ideas please share them.

bethany.north

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:46:27 pm »
Here are some ideas that came to my mind...

Yes - some act irrationally and succumb to the mob mentality. The mob (Mary Hadfield, Lib Hancock etc) in YOW attack Mem - they look to witchcraft and scapegoating in an attempt to explain their variously disordered lives. This mob in YOW can be compared to the mob of repressed girls in The Crucible, who look to witchcraft and scapegoating (Tituba = their scapegoat)- out of pure fear and panic- in order to deflect blame off of themselves. Each mob has different motives behind their actions, yet their actions in a fearful situation are strikingly similar.

I would also mention that some individuals have the ability to overcome the fear and adversity that they face in both Eyam and Salem. Although Anna loses her sons, Elinor and Mr Viccars to the plague, she does not allow her fear to contaminate her passion for helping others in such a disastrous time. Yes, she does struggle with fear and grief, but in the end, she is (as Elinor states) "the one good, perhaps, to come out of this terrible year". John Proctor could also be mentioned here.

Lavanya

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 09:49:56 pm »
Thank you Bethany  :)
That was really helpful