Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 08:09:40 pm

Author Topic: Seas supporting statement  (Read 6825 times)  Share 

Nataliaelias

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Seas supporting statement
« on: August 30, 2017, 02:03:44 pm »
Hi
My grandparents were in a difficult circumstances and I was visiting the hospital frequently which intrurped my study time. Would a letter from the hospital or doctor that my grandparents went to be a good supporting statement?

And how do you apply for it?

Please reply

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Seas supporting statement
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 02:57:10 pm »
+1
Hi
My grandparents were in a difficult circumstances and I was visiting the hospital frequently which intrurped my study time. Would a letter from the hospital or doctor that my grandparents went to be a good supporting statement?

And how do you apply for it?

Please reply
Hi there!

Sorry to hear about the difficult circumstances.
I assume you'll be applying for SEAS under the "difficult circumstances" category, in which case you can have a trusted person, who isn't related to you, but has known you for 12 months or the duration of the difficult circumstances (whichever is shorter), write your supporting statement.
Teachers can be great for this, as they've a) known you for a while, and b) will likely already know the impact it has had on your education. You can also get someone from the hospital to write a statement, but in my opinion, a teacher would be fantastic, even if they don't know the full extent of your circumstances - you can always explain things to them, and they'll also have likely helped out people in a similar situation in the past. :)
Plus, the benefit of a teacher is that you can sit down together face to face, make sure they understand exactly what has been written in your impact statement, and then they can write a supporting statement to fit that.

In terms of applying for SEAS - I really, really recommend that you go speak to your careers counsellor at school - mine guided me through my SEAS application and gave me heaps of help!

In a nutshell, it's all online - you write your impact statement, where you:
- Outline your circumstances
- Explain how it has impacted on your education (eg: having interrupted study time due to visiting the hospital, etc.)

You then submit that, and from memory, it will then ask for an email address for the link to complete the supporting statement to be sent to. This is where you put down the email address of the person writing the supporting statement (alternatively, I think you can just put down your email address and then forward that email on to the person writing your supporting statement), and an email will be sent to them that allows them to complete the supporting statement for you online.
That supporting statement will basically include another outline of your circumstances (from that person's perspective), and it will verify the impact on your education.

Here's a useful link, I really recommend taking your time to read through the information thoroughly:
http://www.vtac.edu.au/who/seas/evidence.html
:)

All the best, I hope this has helped somewhat, and please definitely speak to your careers counsellor, or at least a trusted teacher!