Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 01, 2024, 06:40:09 pm

Author Topic: Extension 2 Topic Tests  (Read 1103 times)  Share 

Ali_Abbas

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
Extension 2 Topic Tests
« on: August 01, 2017, 10:59:19 pm »
+1
Hi all,

As you may know, the Topic Tests version for the Extension 2 course is available on the ATAR Notes website (the link is https://atarnotes.com/product/hsc-mathematics-extension-2-topic-tests/). The author is myself, however, during the final stage of editing, I was never given a chance to review the final draft (for reasons I do not know). As such, I have now had a look at the book in its entirety and thought I'd open this new thread simply for the purpose of amending any typos or issues with the actual content. They are as follows:

For Integration Test 2, Question 1, an integral sign is missing. It should read:

For Complex Numbers Test 1, Question 1, the question reads:

For Complex Numbers Test 1, Question 5, part a) reads:

For Polynomials Test 2, Question 1 part (c), it reads:

For Mechanics Test 2, Question 1, I am not completely sure but I believe the question is not worded correctly. It is my understanding that the terminal velocity of a particle can never be reached as it only gets approached asymptotically (as t --> infinity). So I believe the question should rather say "Under what conditions will the terminal velocity exist?". Furthermore, the solution does not take h into account. So even if the terminal velocity can be reached in finite time, the value of h must be sufficiently large to allow the motion to take place for
at least that amount of time. If I can get a second opinion on this it will be much appreciated (I'm not the one who wrote the question).

Lastly, I want to talk about the solution to Conics Test 1, Question 1. The method given in the book is certainly not the intended approach. Again, had I been given a chance to look at the manuscript before printing, I would have amended this right away. The 'nicer' solution is as follows:

In future, I will post any further issues that I find and I welcome you to share any problems you find yourself. Above all, I hope this book is of tremendous benefit to your high school endeavours. Happy reading :)