Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 09:19:06 am

Author Topic: Difference between the English Advanced Modules  (Read 1143 times)

frog1944

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Difference between the English Advanced Modules
« on: July 30, 2017, 07:39:22 am »
Hi,

What is the difference between Discovery, Module A (Metropolis), Module B (Speeches) and Module C (People and Landscapes) for English Advanced? I know that the texts are different, and the themes analysed are different, but when I write an essay for each I don't feel I distinguish the modules differently enough.

Question: What should an essay for Discovery, Module A (Metropolis), Module B (Speeches) and Module C (People and Landscapes) for English Advanced English Advanced include, that each other module doesn't focus on/include in the essay?

Thanks

bronwoolbank

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +6
Re: Difference between the English Advanced Modules
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 01:11:18 pm »
+10
Hi,

What is the difference between Discovery, Module A (Metropolis), Module B (Speeches) and Module C (People and Landscapes) for English Advanced? I know that the texts are different, and the themes analysed are different, but when I write an essay for each I don't feel I distinguish the modules differently enough.

Question: What should an essay for Discovery, Module A (Metropolis), Module B (Speeches) and Module C (People and Landscapes) for English Advanced English Advanced include, that each other module doesn't focus on/include in the essay?

Thanks

Hey frog1944. I didnt study Metropolis, but i did study speeches and can give you an insight to the differences. In plain english --> check out this stage 6 english syllabus from the board of studies and scroll down to english advanced.
( https://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/english-syllabus-from2010.pdf )

I would try to write your essays with the appropriate syllbus/ rubric infront of you. For example in Module A it is a comparitve study of texts (i.e context / value ) . Direct from the syllabus its all about examining ways in which social, cultural and historical context influences aspects of texts, or the ways in which changes in context lead to changed values being reflected in texts. So if your essay question for Module A was " Discuss which one of these two texts you feel evokes a more sympatheic response to the human desire for meaningful relationships." (and you know its about comparing [or contrasting] the texts) your thesis might be along the lines of "THe universal emotion of love has developed over time in responses to changing values and attitudes, however, the perspective of love in any given context, is often challenged by individuals in society" <-- this was however for texts that represented love.

Furthermore, for Module B your essay should differ again . THis is about proving textual integrity hand in hand with enduring values which are cemented by the respective composer. Ie if the question was " through the compelling presentation of confronting ideas, speakers demand engaement. Explore the role of language and form in demanding your engagement with confronting ideas" my first sentence would be something along the lines of " audiences are presented with confronting ideas through the intricate manipulation of both language and form that demands engagement. Through the successive presentation of these notions, speakers are able to confront firmly held views of the audience".

Module C I studied wag the dog , where the purpose is to explore the ways in which different media present information and ideas to
understand how various textual forms and their media of production offer different versions
and perspectives for a range of audiences and purposes. OVERALL , these all differ from AOS essays , where youre proving a direct link to the discovery rubric. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:17:50 pm by jamonwindeyer »
HSC 2017 - Legal Studies, Economics, Extension One Mathematics, Mathematics, Advanced English, Studies of Religion 1. USYD Wannabe

frog1944

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: Difference between the English Advanced Modules
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 03:16:52 pm »
Thanks!  :)