Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:09:27 pm

Author Topic: Jamon - Ask a State Ranker (Q+A Closed!)  (Read 30826 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Jamon - Ask a State Ranker (Q+A Closed!)
« on: July 27, 2017, 02:08:42 am »
+10
Jamon's Q+A is Closed!
If you missed your chance to ask, no stress, you can still visit our Question Threads! Here are the links to a couple of them:

Legal Question Thread
Music Question Thread

Some things you might want to know about Jamon:
- Achieved 13th in NSW for Legal Studies
- Was selected for Encore in Music 1 (Musicology)
- ATAR of 99.80
- Currently studying Electrical Engineering as a Coop Scholar at the University of New South Wales

To ask a question...
1. If you haven't already, register for an ATAR Notes account by clicking here!
2. Scroll down to the Quick Reply window at the bottom of the page
3. Type your reply and click Post!

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:42:15 am by jamonwindeyer »

sarahhamilton

• Adventurer
  • I'm still in the denial phase of turning eighteen
  • Respect: +9
Re: Jamon - Ask a State Ranker (Q+A Open Now!)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 04:02:13 pm »
+7
Hey Jamon, I have my legal studies trial exam on Wednesday. Do you have any tips for quick revision, or study techniques that worked for you?
Subjects: Advanced English, General 2 Maths, Business Studies, Legal Studies, Geography

Disney

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 04:05:58 pm »
+8
Hey Jamon! What are your best strategies/pieces of advice for NEXT year and post-HSC? I know the HSC is the important focus but I'm so worried that I'll still be unsure of what I want to do, or where to go, or how to handle everything.

Also, I heard you did Music 1. I do Music 2, but are you pursuing anything musical now, after school, as well?

And what's your fave life motto/advice to give/anything nice or motivational? Trials start on Monday....

failure101

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 04:07:02 pm »
+5
Hi, any tips on how to smash the extended responses in the legal trial? Are you aware of any good strategies or structures which can be easily applied?

Eleanore8

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Mar
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 04:07:27 pm »
+6
Hi Jason I was wondering how u remembered all the cases and legislation for legal and how many would be needed to answer a 25 marker

sarahhamilton

• Adventurer
  • I'm still in the denial phase of turning eighteen
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 04:08:33 pm »
+6
Also, I just finished my first week of Trials, with my two English exams, Business Studies, and Maths. How can I maintain my motivation for my last two exams?
Subjects: Advanced English, General 2 Maths, Business Studies, Legal Studies, Geography

Bubbly_bluey

• Trendsetter
  • Just Floating By :)
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 04:08:43 pm »
+5
Hey Jamon! Just a general question about trials. Usually trials are a lot harder that hsc so if we did poorly in trials would it impact a lot on your hsc mark if you are to perform on the hsc relative to what you do in school internals. So maybe for eg) average 85-90% but the trials 60-70%.
For english as well what is the best way to tackle paper 2 with 3 essays in 40 minutes. I'm really struggling to manage my time for this Anyt tips? ;)
Also whats the best way to use the time after trials and before hsc and keep up the motivation to study.
Thanks as always :D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 04:12:01 pm by Bubbly_bluey »

gabbieguindi

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 04:10:02 pm »
+5
Hey, Jamon !
What do you think is the best way to study for content- heavy subjects such as legal studies?

niamh.mcintyre

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 04:10:26 pm »
+4
Hey Jamon, i have a question about legal studies
what is the best way to study and prepare for the 215 mark crime response?

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 04:10:50 pm »
+4
Thanks for doing this! :)

Why did you choose electrical engineering?

Have you ever been banned on Club Penguin?
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 04:11:25 pm »
+5
Hey Jamon, I have my legal studies trial exam on Wednesday. Do you have any tips for quick revision, or study techniques that worked for you?

Hey Sarah! So I suppose the most important thing to actually remember for Legal is your LCMTR (or whatever your acronym is). Laws, cases, media, reports, statistics, treaties, and any other evidence you want to include. Arguments can be made up, topic sentences can be made up, etc - But you can't bullshit that evidence. So make it a priority before Wednesday to make yourself some summary sheets (like this perhaps) and try and memorise as much evidence as you can for all your essays! And don't forget Human Rights ;D

I know English is probably making you lose your patience with essay writing, but try and write a practice response or two before Wednesday as well. Get a friend to mark it - Really important to have your ideas cross checked! You'll also want to cram a few practice MC sections too - It's really the best way to study for the Crime content, reading notes and stuff just takes too long with how much there is to know, you'll almost always miss something :P

I'll also link you to this guide I wrote on studying for Legal, it has a few things you might want to try, but maybe in the long term for the HSC instead of for Trials ;D

The big thing for succeeding in Legal is a clever Thesis - Be sure, even if you don't get time to write a practice essay, you practice writing your Thesis in response to the question (meaning, the first sentence or few sentences that actually says what you are going to argue). I wrote a guide on this here, but basically you want to make it interesting! Not just a "good" or "bad" argument, but somewhere in the middle, which lets you talk about both sides of the argument too (meaning you've got more stuff you can talk about!) ;D

Tara_m

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 04:14:17 pm »
+4
May I know some study tips,  how to focus and some techniques before exam. For preparation
Thank u

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 04:15:57 pm »
+4
Hi there!

I was just wondering if you have any predictions on the area of the syllabus you think this year's crime, world order and families question will be on?

Also, what is the most effective way of studying for legal studies in exams, particularly in remembering LCMID for all those dot points!

Thank you :)
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

Ngm678

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Ryde secondary college
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 04:20:59 pm »
+2
Hey Jamon!

For ENGLISH PAPERS 1 AND 2 would you recommend just memorizing all essays? if so, any tips to memorize all the essays!

biffi023

• Trailblazer
  • Kum Bah Yah
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 04:22:25 pm »
+5
Hello  :)
I have largely been doing past papers as study for my Mathematics Trial.. but how do you remember formulas? There seem to have been so many in just the last few topics that I struggle to remember them all accurately? Any other general tips for Maths study??!
Also, how did you maintain motivation and not procrastinate when studying?!
thanks!