Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:26:57 pm

Author Topic: Emily - Ask a State Ranker! (Q+A Closed)  (Read 34499 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Emily - Ask a State Ranker! (Q+A Closed)
« on: July 27, 2017, 02:05:52 am »
+9
This Q+A is now closed!!
Welcome to Emily's Q+A!

Some things you might want to know about Emily:
- Achieved 1st in NSW for Advanced English, scoring a perfect 100/100
- Achieved 7th in NSW for Earth and Environmental Science
- ATAR of 99.85
- Currently studying Arts/Law at University of Sydney

To ask a question...
1. If you haven't already, register for an ATAR Notes account by clicking here!
2. Scroll down to the Quick Reply window at the bottom of this page
3. Type your reply and click Post!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 08:59:22 pm by jamonwindeyer »

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
Re: Emily - Ask a State Ranker! (Q+A Open Sunday 3:00pm)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 09:59:58 am »
+13
By way of a short introduction:

I am an Emily, I'm quite short, I love pasta and all things yellow. Last book read: This Earth of Mankind.

Accolades are mentioned above. Otherwise, I am also a Queen's Scout (shoutout to anyone completing this during the HSC, I know how tough it is!), a lover of public speaking and debating, an in-the-car singer and embarrassing dancer. I went to a non-selective Catholic school in Windsor (Western Sydney). That is important, because I know that this time last year, to hear that success is determined by your own passion and dedication would have made Trials a lot less stressful than they were. 

Ask any and all questions you may have in relation to your HSC year, or even, about the University of Sydney. I am currently studying English and Government subjects in my Arts degree, and Law. 

Ask away!
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 03:02:42 pm »
+6
Hi Emily! ;D

What was your personal preference for structuring your notes for the area of study?

And what do you like about your degree so far?  :)
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

sharpie11

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 03:03:57 pm »
+3
Hi Emily, what techniques would you suggest using when analysing a non-fiction text in paper one section one?

Thanks  :)

daniel044

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 03:04:17 pm »
+3
Hi Emily,

Just wondering whether you had any techniques for Paper 1 in terms of timing (which section did you do first) and also with Modules

I was also wondering how you memoriesd your Extension Creative and whether you learnt quotes for every prescribed text or just picked two and hoped for the best (I do After the Bomb btw)

Also how is English at uni, compared to at school. I am thinking I may dabble in it.

Thankyou so much :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 03:06:37 pm by daniel044 »
HSC 2017: Subjects

-English Advanced
-English Extension 1
-English Extension 2
-Drama
-SOR 1
-Business Studies
-General Maths

ATAR Goal: 96

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 03:04:24 pm »
+2
Hey Emily,
Just want to say a huge thanks for your English lecture in the holidays-it definitely helped me heaps! :D
With your module C did you do Art of Travel, if so, I’m finding it really hard to get into the text. As we’ve never analysed a philosophical text before I’m finding it a bit difficult and really boring. Do you have any tips on how to analyse module C texts and any ways that I could find the text more interesting? How did you memorise quotes for each module? How did you memorise enough good quotes especially for module B (I’m doing Hamlet)?
Did you have a structure for each essay (especially the modules)?
I always get really stuck trying to come up with good creative writing ideas, especially ones that aren't cliche or overused. Do you have any tips on how to come up with good ideas that can fit with multiple stimulus? And, just general ideas to improve my creatives?
Also, do you have any general tips on how to improve in English and further appreciate the texts? English is my worst subject and also the one I dislike the most so I find it harder to study then some of my other subjects.
Also, what did you need to do for the Queens Scout? I’m currently doing Queens Award for Girls Brigade (which is also a national award). I need to do voluntary service (Girls Brigade, church and community-which I’m doing next year), two initiative tasks, a speech, a major work (music based-not as huge as the HSC but still big), and a few other things. It’s heaps of fun but a lot of work.
Thank you so much-your help is really appreciated! :) Sorry that I have a huge amount of questions. :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

theblackswan

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 03:05:27 pm »
+3
Hi Emily! As a student failing spectacularly at English, I see you in a holy light :). Can you give some tips on the separate modules of English? I know you have to improvise your essay on the spot so that's what I've been doing but I've been getting low marks for it. Is it better to pre - prepare my response in my case? And can you also give me some tips on how to structure the thesis of each module? Thanks :) 

sarahkhan

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 03:05:46 pm »
+3
Did you memorise an essay for discovery? Or just remember key values and quotes?

heathersnowy

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 03:06:07 pm »
+4
Hi Emily,

I was just wondering what your tips are for 'show not tell' in creative writing as that has always been something that I have struggled with in my creative writing. I was also wondering what tips you have for time management of each section. Also what are your tips for approaching unseen hamlet questions as my reading is:
Hamlet in his negotiation with various degrees of success for individual truth particular feels overwhelmed by the responsibility to avenge his father’s death, questioning the legitimacy of revenge and suicide. His indecision and inaction tragically leads to his death and others.
Thank you.  :)

jasmine.nahrain

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 03:06:27 pm »
+3
Hi Emily,

What structure do you recommend completing paper 1 in (short answers first or last etc)???

livcopeland

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 03:07:29 pm »
+3
How did you memorize your essays?

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 03:08:02 pm »
+7
Hi Emily! ;D

What was your personal preference for structuring your notes for the area of study?

And what do you like about your degree so far?  :)

Hey there!

I used palm cars for AOS. Each palm card had a dot point from the rubric on the front, with synonyms and similar concepts on it. On the back, it had quotes from both my ORT and prescribed text. I covered all sections of the rubric using this method

As for Arts/Law, I love the content of the degree. The most difficult part of the degree, really, is transitioning from a relatively small, and uncompetitive school to Sydney Uni. It was, and still is, a really big shock. But slowly and surely, I'm getting used to it :)
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

Tallis

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 03:08:39 pm »
+3
Hi there, my trials start tomorrow and I'm currently sitting at first in my year for advanced English with a mark of 98. Was just wondering what your top tip would be to give a discovery essay an 'edge' over the other 500 in my year? Paper 1 is tomorrow and I'm currently looking for anyway to be able to get those couple of extra marks to put me a step ahead of everyone else and not lose my rank.

Thanks for any help!
(I also want to study law at USYD next year!)

heathersnowy

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 03:08:44 pm »
+3
I was also wondering if you went into english exams with pre-prepared essays that you could adapt to a specific question? Thanks. (:

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 03:10:00 pm »
+6
Hi Emily, what techniques would you suggest using when analysing a non-fiction text in paper one section one?

Thanks  :)

Look at the tone of the text. Is it trying to confront, inform, inspire or narrate? Then, pinpoint the words that are working to create this tone. You can then use these at the quote + technique (being tone), which helps to express a particular aspect of discovery.