Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 01, 2024, 12:55:30 pm

Author Topic: Argument analysis  (Read 4944 times)  Share 

MagicCoin

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Argument analysis
« on: May 21, 2017, 06:58:59 pm »
Hey guys, I really like this idea of posting about argument analysis help on here.
I am trying to practice analysing arguments and sometimes struggle to structure an analysis on an article/opinion piece/whatever piece. I seem to try and include every single point in my argument analysis, and find it difficult to link two things together, thus making the analysis piece far too long with more than 3 body paragraphs. To get an idea of how to structure an argument analysis and persuasive techniques essay, could someone please help me to form a good analysis on this opinion piece: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/seven-reasons-not-to-celebrate-on-january-26-20170120-gtvdxs.html . I'm sure it would give me a great understanding as to how to structure an essay on this area of study for year 12. Thanks! :)

Mod Edit [Aaron]: Split off and moved to English board.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 07:41:11 pm by Aaron »

teacher28

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Re: Argument analysis
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 10:54:27 am »
+1
Hello, several of my students tell me they have this problem.

I suggest they structure their analysis around supporting arguments for the author's contention and they no longer have to work around this issue. In a recent exam report VCAA specifically warned about attempting to analyse every single element.

PS there is no rule that demands only three body paragraphs!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:56:37 am by teacher28 »
I think, I speak, I act. Therefore... I create my own reality.

kjade

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 06:38:20 pm »
Can someone give feedback on this? I haven't proof read for grammar and am not very confident for this SAC next week (I'm aiming for over 35 and would also like to know what kind of SAC average that would require since my school is rather confusing and lacks communication)  :-[ Thanks anyone!  ;D

Sick lit (stories depicting terminally ill teenagers) has dominated the conversations of adults who think young adults should not be looking up to the characters of these stories. Jess Whitby’s opinion piece ‘So called “sick lit” only idolizes the reality’, written for The UnderAge, disputes the idea that ‘sick lit’ sensationalizes fictional characters with illnesses. Accompanying the blog is a photograph of a child who appears to be sick, reading a book by themselves. Two commenters give their opinion on the issue in response to the article.

Whitby begins by labelling herself as the epitome of a teen girl, thus telling the audience she has a right to an opinion on the topic as it concerns people of her age. With sarcasm, she states that according to others not in her niche, “if I read certain novels I just might. (idolize mental or physical illnesses)”. She addresses critiques of sick lit in this way to propel the idea to the audience that the idea of idolizing illness is not logical and is unreasonable. Whitby identifies the critics of sick lit as ’30 somethings rather than the book’s target audience’. This assumption suggests to the audience that Whitby believes that these “30 somethings” are not entitled to an opinion and that she has no intention to listen to what they have to say.  She continuously appeals to the young adult audience by reminding them of the contrasts between the readers and these “30 somethings”, by creating a divide between ‘Us’ and ‘them’, referring “those of us” who have read these types of books. She attacks ‘them’ who believe sick lit is “exploitative” and “mawkish”. The attack creates a feeling of solidarity between the reader and Whitby, as though she is the voice speaking for a generation. The readers may agree with Whitby and decide to comply with whatever she has to say. Whitby shares a quote to the audience from sick lit writer John Green. The use of evidence from the perspective of one whose work is being critiqued, discredits the 30 somethings and leads the audience to further agree with Whitby’s argument and share the same opinions with her, in a stand against critics.

teacher28

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 10:41:11 am »
Can I access the original article?

Okay, I have found the article...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:48:47 am by teacher28 »
I think, I speak, I act. Therefore... I create my own reality.