Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:54:23 pm

Author Topic: JMSS Entry For 2018  (Read 434128 times)  Share 

WhompingWillow

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: JMSS Entry For 2018
« Reply #1545 on: August 23, 2017, 08:33:48 pm »
I got a friend whose dad is a professor at Monash Uni and he said to his dad to give me a recommendation.

Chinese SL   Methods

English  Economics Spesh  Physics

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #1546 on: August 23, 2017, 08:36:02 pm »
Wait so there are ~400 interviews? and ~220 people are offered a place. So a bit more then half the students will be successful in gaining a place. I do methods 1/2 in yr 9 at Box hill high school SEAL do you think the school will look favourable towards it as not many schools if not any school offers it. Thanks

Sorry man, I don't think any of us are certain about the chances of getting accepted into the school. It depends on how you went on the exams and interviews in comparison to other students that tried out.

This is just my assumption, but I feel as though they would reserve a certain percentage for schools that are socially disadvantaged (just so it's a little more fair).
When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

Jessica1231

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1547 on: August 23, 2017, 08:37:09 pm »
If you ace the interview and do pretty well in the group activities but cant solve the puzzle is that considered good? Not many people got the maths question
You will be absolutely fine. As you said not many students solved it, so I think that one question doesn't effect your overall performace.

begirodos18

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1548 on: August 23, 2017, 08:48:51 pm »
For the first group activity did anyone get any of the animals because i got the koala myself. Do you think high will be marked high. I gave my reason because it was a hervivore and the structure of its teeth .

sZera

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1549 on: August 23, 2017, 08:51:35 pm »
+2
"two humanities/lote/computing/pe/music subject"
Ugh. I've only planned on doing 1 LOTE ;-;
What happens if you only do 1 of those?

Late reply, but subjects like accounting, economics, psychology and environmental science also count in the list. None of the subjects in the list have prerequisites (except for LOTE I suppose) so I guess you gotta pick one, whether you like the subject or not.

If you ace the interview and do pretty well in the group activities but cant solve the puzzle is that considered good? Not many people got the maths question

They take everything into account including your results from the entrance exam. Don't stress too much if you did well on the interview and entrance exam.
2018 | :(
2019 | :'(

Mewfle

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1550 on: August 23, 2017, 09:37:10 pm »
Do you think they have a recording of what happened during your interview or is it just the notes they took?

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1551 on: August 23, 2017, 09:40:57 pm »
Do you think they have a recording of what happened during your interview or is it just the notes they took?
BWAHAH A RECORDING :') it would be funny if they did, but I highly doubt it. They took notes during the interview and afterwards.

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
  • GO BEYOND!!!! PLUS ULTRA!!!!
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #1552 on: August 23, 2017, 09:49:30 pm »
BWAHAH A RECORDING :') it would be funny if they did, but I highly doubt it. They took notes during the interview and afterwards.

If they would record us, I would dab. Nah, jokes. XD

Mewfle

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1553 on: August 23, 2017, 09:58:38 pm »
That's what I thought XD but some of my friends are saying how they've been recording the audio so eh
And afterwards? aaaa well either way I'm pretty sure my interviewer got less than one page of notes on me, so rip my chances haha

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1554 on: August 23, 2017, 10:14:54 pm »
+10
Guys, we shouldn't fret about how well/terrible our interviews went because it won't change anything. We did what we could and now it's up to the school and interviewers to decide what happens. Just relax for the next 2 weeks and we'll worry about the results when they come.

My words may not mean much, but I want to express them.
If you don't make it into JMSS, please don't beat yourself up. Continue studying what you love and you'll end up with a career that you'll enjoy. It's easy to stop trying and become one of those people who couldn't care less about their education and constantly wag classes. It's a more peaceful and carefree life, but in the end, they end up contributing nothing to the world because they don't care. They're oblivious to environmental issues and other global issues. You guys have made it through the entry exams and interview, so you guys have a lot of potential, especially in STEM. So if you think that you've failed - you haven't. Just know that you have the capabilities to make a difference in the future.

Mewfle

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1555 on: August 23, 2017, 10:22:06 pm »
Guys, we shouldn't fret about how well/terrible our interviews went because it won't change anything. We did what we could and now it's up to the school and interviewers to decide what happens. Just relax for the next 2 weeks and we'll worry about the results when they come.

My words may not mean much, but I want to express them.
If you don't make it into JMSS, please don't beat yourself up. Continue studying what you love and you'll end up with a career that you'll enjoy. It's easy to stop trying and become one of those people who couldn't care less about their education and constantly wag classes. It's a more peaceful and carefree life, but in the end, they end up contributing nothing to the world because they don't care. They're oblivious to environmental issues and other global issues. You guys have made it through the entry exams and interview, so you guys have a lot of potential, especially in STEM. So if you think that you've failed - you haven't. Just know that you have the capabilities to make a difference in the future.
Ah, shadestache being wise again mhmmmm
Are you sure you're not like, secretly 74 years old or something

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1556 on: August 23, 2017, 10:23:30 pm »
+1
Ah, shadestache being wise again mhmmmm
Are you sure you're not like, secretly 74 years old or something

Dammit, I keep blowing my cover D:
I hope 74 years isn't too late to get into JMSS

begirodos18

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1557 on: August 24, 2017, 10:03:34 am »
For the interview on the website it went from the 9th to 16th of August does that include weekends or not. Did anyone have an interview on the weekend?

quinn_03

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #1558 on: August 24, 2017, 12:00:16 pm »
For the interview on the website it went from the 9th to 16th of August does that include weekends or not. Did anyone have an interview on the weekend?

No, there were no interviews on the weekend.
Does anyone here know if it's about 400 kids for interviews like begirodos said?
2020 VCE
English [raw 50 + 60/60 exam score]
Literature [48]

Offering 2021 English and Literature tutoring + resources!

begirodos18

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1559 on: August 24, 2017, 08:31:57 pm »
The less interviews the better. The less people higher chance we have. Some people have said 70-80 percent of students get in some said 50 percent. Lets say 60 students are interviewed everyday that means 360 interviews. The most they will possibly interview would be 80 which means 480 interviews id say there will be ~3070 so odds are decent.