Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 02, 2024, 07:01:51 pm

Author Topic: Peter Skryznecki Creative Piece. HELP!!  (Read 1618 times)  Share 

rachid.kam

• Forum Regular
  • The higher you fly, the harder you fall
  • Respect: +5
Peter Skryznecki Creative Piece. HELP!!
« on: March 31, 2017, 10:05:42 pm »
Hey everyone!
I have this teacher who wants us to write a creative piece based on Peter Skryznecki's Immigrant Chronicle poems. TBH, these poems were really draining to read and analyse as I also did them in year 11. Anyways, I'm having trouble thinking about how I should approach the creative task using my set poems. Any food for thought anyone?

Cheers! :D
2016:
Biology [41]
2017:
Texts and Traditions [] | Physics [lool] | Chemistry [46] | Methods [looool] | English[38]
Atar: 92
Monash University: Bachelor of Biomed 2018-2020

Texts and Traditions: The path toward a 40+
100 Days until the VCE Chem Exam: STRATEGY

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Peter Skryznecki Creative Piece. HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 10:19:33 pm »
+1
Hey everyone!
I have this teacher who wants us to write a creative piece based on Peter Skryznecki's Immigrant Chronicle poems. TBH, these poems were really draining to read and analyse as I also did them in year 11. Anyways, I'm having trouble thinking about how I should approach the creative task using my set poems. Any food for thought anyone?

Cheers! :D

Hey!! Omg, I studied these poems in Year 12 for my HSC, I really love them (but I totally get that they are draining)

I always had this idea for a Creative that I never did, and it was a creative from the perspective of a teacher at St Pats College (not sure if you've read that poem?), observing Peter and possibly forging a connection with him, seeing his disconnection from Australian culture. I'm not sure how much you can 'base' your creative on the works, if you are allowed to actually use the characters/situations directly, but this is something I always meant to do but never actually did. Could be worth considering? :)

rachid.kam

• Forum Regular
  • The higher you fly, the harder you fall
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 10:27:37 pm »
+1
Hey!! Omg, I studied these poems in Year 12 for my HSC, I really love them (but I totally get that they are draining)

I always had this idea for a Creative that I never did, and it was a creative from the perspective of a teacher at St Pats College (not sure if you've read that poem?), observing Peter and possibly forging a connection with him, seeing his disconnection from Australian culture. I'm not sure how much you can 'base' your creative on the works, if you are allowed to actually use the characters/situations directly, but this is something I always meant to do but never actually did. Could be worth considering? :)

Oh my god, YESS!
That is such an amazing idea. I absolutely love it. Thank you so much for your help jamonwindeyer! Oh, but how would I be able to write a writte explanation on that?
2016:
Biology [41]
2017:
Texts and Traditions [] | Physics [lool] | Chemistry [46] | Methods [looool] | English[38]
Atar: 92
Monash University: Bachelor of Biomed 2018-2020

Texts and Traditions: The path toward a 40+
100 Days until the VCE Chem Exam: STRATEGY

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 10:39:10 pm »
+1
Oh my god, YESS!
That is such an amazing idea. I absolutely love it. Thank you so much for your help jamonwindeyer! Oh, but how would I be able to write a writte explanation on that?

No problem!! I'm not 100% sure about written explanations/statements of intent, I never did one, but I imagine you'd address things like:

- The form your creative piece will take (you could do a narrative or a diary entry even?)
- The intended audience of your piece (writing for older audiences? Younger? Those who've read the poems?)
- Why you are writing it and the context behind you choosing to write it (background info)

And I'm not sure, but I think you guys have to include techniques from your own piece in it too? Not sure about how VCE does things - I'm basing this on similar stuff I've done for Music, absolutely no knowledge of how it works for VCE English, so please someone for the love of all that is good check what I've just said, ahaha :P

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 08:05:48 am »
+1
Oh my god, YESS!
Jamon's more or less covered this, but if you're in need of a little mnemonic for your written explanation, just remember that you have to discuss: FLAP-CI :)

- F: the form of your piece; what genre and style are you writing in? Is it a poem like Skryznecki's? If so, how have you emulated his form? Or is it a short story, or a letter or something? In which case, are there any similarities to Skryznecki's style?
   - L: the language choices you've made - this can be broad (e.g. 'I've chosen to use language befitting 19th century England because that's when my story was set' or 'I've chosen to use broken English to capture the struggles of a recent immigrant experiencing culture shock') or really small-scale (e.g. 'I had my protagonist say "quote from your piece" in order to explore their state of mind...) This can also apply to other structural features like metaphors, symbols, connotations, tone, etc.
   - A: the audience for your piece. Who would be likely to read this, and what do you want them to understand about your piece and the ideas you're exploring. Note: some schools put a lot of emphasis on this, whereas others don't care about it at all, so check with your teacher if in doubt.
   - P: the purpose of your piece. This is NOT about what you as an author are saying/exploring (that comes later!) but rather why your character or speaker would be saying/writing this piece. Are they writing a letter to someone to express their true feelings? Are they writing a diary entry to get something off their chest and try to work through it? Is it a POV narrative where they're trying to come to terms with an even that's happened? What is your character's motivation? What do they want, and why?
   - C: the changes you have made to the source material. Have you rewritten one of the poems to have a different ending? Have you taken the message of one poem and explored the opposite? Have you said something different about a particular theme, or used different means (i.e. different language and structural features) in order to say it? Basically, address a few key similarities and differences between your piece, and the set text you're using.
   - I:: the intention of your piece i.e. your overall argument or message as the author. Note that this is distinct from the purpose because this is where it's you, as a Year 12 student, saying 'I based this piece on Skryznecki's poems because I wanted to explore...'

Having said all that, your teacher will (probably... unless your school cross-marks) be the one marking your piece and your statement, so CHECK WITH THEM if  you're unsure what you need to address. That acronym above should cover all bases, but your teacher may have their own preferences, so it's always good to ask :)