Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:21:00 pm

Author Topic: A Guide to Creating your Major Work!  (Read 5921 times)  Share 

jkhoo

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
A Guide to Creating your Major Work!
« on: January 30, 2017, 12:51:27 pm »
+4
Hey everyone! I'm Jeffrey, a 2016 HSC graduate, and today I want to share with you my experience completing a Major Work, and a quick rundown of the process involved. I did Drama as part of my HSC (and loved it!). HOWEVER, I want to make sure that this guide is usable for any subject that involves a major work (e.g. English Extension 2, creative arts subjects, technology subjects, humanities research projects etc). If I can summarise the guide in a few words, it would be: if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. (I'm here all week. Try the veal.)

So, without further ado:

1. When searching for ideas, cast your net wide. Many people start their HSC year with an idea for their Major Work in mind. And while I'm not saying that you absolutely shouldn't, I think it's best if you are still open to exploring new paths. This is for two reasons: (a) you may find something else that you could do even more brilliantly, and (b) you have several 'backup' ideas if your first choice doesn't go as planned.

Ideas for a Major Work don't just come out of thin air, or from a divine stroke of inspiration. It's tough, and it can take a lot of time. At the beginning of your HSC, you need to just immerse yourself in as much content as possible. Consume all the content that you can - if you're a Drama student, go on YouTube and watch amazing performances. And also, consume content that isn't related to your discipline, because originality comes from unexpected things coming together and making something new and amazing. For example, read or watch the news for interesting and diverse takes on topical issues.

2. Once you have an idea, figure out what your thesis will be. On the surface, this point seems more relevant to students of subjects like English Extension 2, Society and Culture, History Extension, and so on. But no matter what subject you are taking, you are required to communicate something to the markers. This is to show that you understand that no work is created without a reason - creators always have something to say. Thus, having a thesis elevates your Major Work in two ways: (a) it ensures you are hitting all the marking criteria; that is, you are not only rewarded for your performance skills, or your facility with words, or your ability with tools - you are rewarded for your whole approach and concept, and (b) having a thesis as a guide, or something to come back to when you're stuck, will make your work better structured, highly original and meaningful, and much more coherent.

But what actually is a message? What should it look like, especially for subjects that don't normally deal with a thesis? Well, it's the same as with English - your thesis is what you want to say through your work. For example, a thesis for Design and Technology could be about the effect of unchecked deforestation on local animals and the timber industry; a thesis for Music could be about how the idea of childhood is represented in certain pieces. It can be specific to your discipline, or about a universal concept. Just make sure that you have one!

If, by the end of Term 4, you have completed these two steps, you are well on your way!

3. Experiment, experiment, experiment. If your thesis is what you want to say, your Major Work is how you actually express it. So, you need to get up, research, and experiment with different forms, methods and techniques, until you hit on something that feels just right. Many students get stuck at this step, the bridge between ideas and implementation. My advice: just do it! The hardest part is starting, but once you start it's much easier to keep going.

The most important thing throughout this step is to keep asking yourself questions. Questions drive exploration, which give rise to learning and creation. What do I care about? Why isn't this working? Where could I take this?

Throughout this process, keep a record of what you've done, what you've tried, what has worked and what hasn't, and what you want to try next. This is a good idea even if your subject doesn't require a final report, folio or logbook, because you can always come back to this record if you're stuck.

Most people finish this step halfway through Term 1. You're in a really good place if you can move on by the end of the summer holidays.

4. Start crafting your work. So far, all this talk of 'concepts' and 'theses' and 'ideas' may seem a little vague. Now it's time to get down to business. Map it out - draw sketches, diagrams, lists, whatever you need, so that you end up with a detailed vision of what your final Work will be like. Hone your practical skills, and be very familiar with the requirements of whatever form, style or issues you are exploring (e.g. the conventions of Absurdism for Drama, or the various arguments about teenage social media usage for CAFS). Creating your Major Work requires small, regular efforts; maybe one hour, three times a week. It is not something you can cram.

An important part of this step is to constantly seek feedback from everyone, because people bring so many different perspectives to your work. People familiar with your subject will tell you how to change the finer details, while people who have no idea about your subject can give you a 'man-on-the-street' opinion - if they don't understand it at all, you aren't being clear enough.

Your final physical draft should be finished at least a month before submission, so you can spend plenty of time refining and editing.

5. Add the finishing touches. Once you finish the final physical draft of your work, sit back and relax for a bit! A week or two away from your Major Work is really helpful to get your energy back. Plus, you come back to your work with fresh eyes.

The reason why I use the word 'draft' is to emphasise that your Work always has room for improvement, right until the day of submission or performance. Even with, say, Visual Arts, there may be some bits you can retouch, some small pieces you can add. However, you don't want to be completely overturning your work at this stage. Just keep at it.

6. Crunch time. A few tips for the actual day:
- Have a checklist of props, pieces, equipment etc. that you need to bring in, and check them off when you pack them.
- Fill out all the paperwork in advance. The worst thing is having to rush around on the day for a stupid piece of paper.
- If you are performing something, get a good night's sleep, eat a nutritious breakfast, and bring all your energy.
- Performers, if you're feeling overly nervous before your performance, go outside and take five deep breaths. During the performance, adrenaline and nervous energy will kick in, and you may be inclined to go faster than usual, or to make on-the-spot decisions. However, it is unfortunately too late to improvise. Resist that temptation and stick to what you've practiced, and you'll smash it.

7. PARTY!!!

So! Phew. I hope that helped. For all your Major Work troopers out there, you are doing a fantastic job. Even choosing to complete a Major Work (or a few!) is something you should be really proud of. And if I can say something quickly to close off, make the most of this opportunity. For the vast majority of your time in school, you are being assessed on how well you can remember pointless facts, how well you respond to an exam paper. But for your Major Work, you are not reactive, but proactive. You have a chance to create something that is new, meaningful and truly your own. Carpe diem, everybody.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:57:21 pm by jkhoo »
HSC 2016: ATAR 99.45
EngAdv 97 | EngX1 47 | MathsX1 96 | MathsX2 93 | Drama 93 | Chemistry 83 | Economics 88
BCom/LLB @ USYD
[email protected] for English and Mathematics tutoring!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: A Guide to Creating your Major Work!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 12:53:58 pm »
+1
Jkhoo, this is seriously cool. Thanks for your great work! I've stickied this thread so that students can find it easily :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 01:06:50 pm »
I'm so dead for visual arts. I'm so lost my photographs are so baddddd...
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 02:45:17 pm »

Can you tell us about your ideas? What's your vision? Are your progressing along the timeline as you hoped?

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 02:47:21 pm »
Hey everyone! I'm Jeffrey, a 2016 HSC graduate, and today I want to share with you my experience completing a Major Work, and a quick rundown of the....

This is legendary! Thanks for posting :)
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 02:47:47 pm »
YES!! Finally another drama student I'm not alone <3 Hopefully we can find some more this year  ;D

Hey! You've still got ages until you need to have everything finished don't worry  :) You won't believe how much your skills will increase this year as you keep chipping away at your major work! I look forward to seeing the final product (and anything in between if you ever want to post here and bounce off some ideas) :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 02:50:01 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 04:45:22 pm »

Can you tell us about your ideas? What's your vision? Are your progressing along the timeline as you hoped?

My idea is exploring a different outlook towards life. Basically my photographs are composition of worms eyes view (ants view or something in English) of architecture that brings a visual metaphor of "looking up", that denotes to seeing life in a non-linear way. Therefore, if the society can somewhat bring this into their lives possibly, things that they wouldn't expect to find or opportunity that rise spontaneously could have a huge impact to their lives. Whether it's negative or positive it still allows them to gain experiences. So I intend also include close up shots of buildings focusing on lines, texture and pattern to be a symbol for those intriguing products of discovery that come from looking at things in a non-linear way.

Right now, I've shot some photos but they are looking like the same . I've chosen some photographs to work with as experiments. And I literally, just started learning Lightroom. I've been using photoshop lately but I think the layout for Lightroom is so much better - everything is there haha
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 04:46:26 pm »

YES!! Finally another drama student I'm not alone <3 Hopefully we can find some more this year  ;D
Hey! You've still got ages until you need to have everything finished don't worry  :) You won't believe how much your skills will increase this year as you keep chipping away at your major work! I look forward to seeing the final product (and anything in between if you ever want to post here and bounce off some ideas) :)

Heya! Haha yeah I just posted my idea just then. But photographs are just so bad. I was looking at art express... and they ARE SO GOOOODDDD WTF
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 05:07:16 pm »
+1

Heya! Haha yeah I just posted my idea just then. But photographs are just so bad. I was looking at art express... and they ARE SO GOOOODDDD WTF

Hey! You're idea sounds really really cool and unique! You've definitely got a strong concept behind it, which is really great particularly so early in the process - I bet this is something that a lot of other students will be struggling with, so it's fantastic that you're already at the next stage! In terms of everything looking the same, is there a way that you can maybe manipulate the photos in another way other than just the positioning of them? Like adjust the colour, sharpness or tone etc. etc. that will give them a different, symbolic effect? I don't know, maybe that would work if you're stuck (I didn't study Art so take this with a grain of salt). Also if you really don't like the photos you have taken, take them again! The amount of reshoots I had to do for my short film (for drama) was insane and frustrating, but I'm glad that I did it because I was able to produce a better product at the end  :D

DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO ART EXPRESS! Particularly at this stage. Remember that the works shown there are the product of A LOT of time and effort - basically an entire years worth. They certainly wouldn't have looked so incredible at the beginning - where you are now. Trust me, as the year progresses your work will get better and better. It'll take a lot of time and effort (all major works do) but I'm sure you will get there in the end :) Who knows, maybe you're work could even make it into the showcase  ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:15:12 pm by sudodds »

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 05:18:07 pm »
+1
Hey! You're idea sounds really really cool and unique! You've definitely got a strong concept behind it, which is really great particularly so early in the process - I bet this is something that a lot of other students will be struggling with, so it's fantastic that you're already at the next stage! In terms of everything looking the same, is there a way that you can maybe manipulate the photos in another way other than just the positioning of them? Like adjust the colour, sharpness or tone etc. etc. that will give them a different, symbolic effect? I don't know, maybe that would work if you're stuck (I didn't study Art so take this with a grain of salt). Also if you really don't like the photos you have taken, take them again! The amount of reshoots I had to do for my short film (for drama) was insane and frustrating, but I'm glad that I did it because I was able to produce a better product at the end  :D

DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO ART EXPRESS! Particularly at this stage. Remember that the works shown there are the product of A LOT of time and effort - basically an entire years worth. They certainly wouldn't have looked so incredible at the beginning - where you are now. Trust me, as the year progresses your work will get better and better. It'll take a lot of time and effort (all major works do) but I'm sure you will get there in the end :) Who knows, maybe you're work could even make it into the showcase  ;)

Hahah, thank you for a reminder! It really helped me reconsider what I've said :P But yes, that's right... I may need to go again and take the photos. I also got in trouble twice for taking a photo of several buildings from the workers there :/ They were so rude and thought I was a tourist ( I mean I did look like one with a camera haha) and they told me to delete it, but I never did ;) Oops ? I guess?  ???
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 06:49:47 pm »
Hahah, thank you for a reminder! It really helped me reconsider what I've said :P But yes, that's right... I may need to go again and take the photos. I also got in trouble twice for taking a photo of several buildings from the workers there :/ They were so rude and thought I was a tourist ( I mean I did look like one with a camera haha) and they told me to delete it, but I never did ;) Oops ? I guess?  ???

Your idea certainly sounds very sophisticated and I think that by engaging with your teacher about the way you are bringing your ideas to reality will be helpful. Keep taking photos, keep playing with the angles and colours until you find a thread that ties it all together! Major works are never a first-go-first-success situation ;)

shamus.clarke

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 06:18:07 pm »
+1
Hello world,

I am currently working on my IP, which is a monologue. I am reading from a script called 'Jerry and the Dog'. Is it better to write an original monologue or to pursue a script? Any advice would be supremely helpful!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 06:33:57 pm »
Hello world,

I am currently working on my IP, which is a monologue. I am reading from a script called 'Jerry and the Dog'. Is it better to write an original monologue or to pursue a script? Any advice would be supremely helpful!

Hey Shamus! I didn't do a monologue for my IP (video drama woop woop), but the advice that my teacher gave our class was that it really doesn't matter! You can get incredible marks either way, its more to do with the amount of effort that you're willing to put in. But here are the pros and cons for both ways:

Original
PROS:
- Allows you to work more towards your strengths and abilities as you have ultimate control of the narrative and characterisation.
- Allows for more creative freedom.
- If it's your own work you may be more motivated to work on it.
- May be easier to memorise as its your own work.

CONS:
- Takes a lot longer. While all those that are doing pre-written texts are already up and performing, you may still be in the early stages of writing.
- Writing a good monologue is just a hard thing to do in general
- The marker doesn't know the text, which may have negative implications if part/all of your monologue is more obscure/artistic. Think about it this way, Shakespeare can be freaking confusing as hell! But the likelihood that the marker (many of whom are also english teachers) has already studied the text and knows the ins and outs, the metaphors, the symbolism etc. means that they'll still understand what is going on. They don't have the same luxury with your piece.

Prewritten
PROS:
- Takes a lot less time and energy
- Depending on the monologue you chose, you marker may already know the text, therefore they don't have to spend the entire performance trying to understand, and instead can just sit back, relax, and focus upon your own skills and interpretation rather than the basic narrative progression.
- You can learn from other peoples experiences and interpretations of the monologue to inform your own.

CONS:
- Less creative freedom. The way you interpret your chosen monologue can for sure be unique, but there will be constraints.
- Your maker may know your text. Yes this is a PRO also, but only if you perform it well. If you screw up their favourite Stephen Berkoff god have mercy of your soul (and your mark - just letting you know some HSC Drama markers can be catty af).

I hope this helps! Again as I said before, in the end it really just comes down to how much work and effort you put in :) Whether you write your own or you perform a pre-written script you can still smash the IP! A girl from my year did extremely well combining the two in fact! She took bits of Shakespeare's 'Romeo and Juliet' and created an epic monologue from the perspective of Mercutio!

Good luck!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 01:31:51 am by sudodds »