Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:22:49 pm

Author Topic: How To Get a 50/50 BOW (GUIDE)  (Read 7042 times)  Share 

ninax

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10
How To Get a 50/50 BOW (GUIDE)
« on: December 18, 2016, 08:48:16 pm »
+16
How To Get a 50/50 Body Of Work.  :o ;D
GUIDE FOR GETTING A HIGH MARK IN VISUAL ARTS

- Be Original. Amonst 10,000 other works, if your Body Of Work is cliche and cheesy and is the typical work about some over-done topic, nobody's going to give it a second glance and it's gonna get a mediocre mark.Unless you execute it really well.   The point of Art is to raise questions never raised before. Additionally, if you're doing photography consider the following options - Underwater photography, long-exposure shots. These works are highly under-done and reward you well with your marks. (They stand out) If you're doing portraiture, consider abstract works.

- Execution. Do it right. Whether it's photography, painting, drawing, sculpting, or anything else - You should do it well. Look up tutorials, learn from the best.

- Have a meaning behind your work. Your work must have conceptual weight to it. If your work is about mental illnesses, perhaps look into the psychological/scientific aspect in it. Don't follow the crowd. Do something unique. Ask the questions about social stigma. Entice the audience to look at your work, and ask 'what's this work mean?'

- Don't leave it to the last month. Pretty much how it goes.

- Never be satisfied. Now, this may sound pessimistic, however even if your work is the best in your class, there's hundreds more out there with works just as good as yours. Just because you're in a class that is weaker than you doesn't mean that you will receive a good mark. If you keep working at your work (especially if it's a traditional media) your efforts will inevitably be rewarded.

- Don't start your Body Of Work after 1 weeks worth of thought. You will be working on this Body of Work for hours, so it needs to be well thought out. Got the concept? Okay. How will it be presented? Horizontally or vertically? What size? What will this mean conceptually for your work? These are all questions you need to ask yourself.

- If you finish early consider refining your work, or adding more. Although remember, it's quality over quantity. Make sure all your works are refined. A bad work amongst your others may pull you down.

Good luck!  :D ;D Remember though... Art is subjective so there isn't a sure-way guaranteed way to get a full mark or high 48-49-50/50, because each individual's mind is different. So even if your work get's marked as less than that, it may still be a great work. :o Regardless of this, this guide will inevitably guide you in the right direction.  :)
Hope you enjoyed this guide! :) ;D
Hsc 2016 Exam Results: English Standard: 91 (93 raw)  General Math: 79 Business Studies: 78 Legal Studies: 84 Sor: 88 Visual Arts: 96 (99th percentile +Nomination for Art Express)
ATAR aim: 70-80. ATAR: 88.45 :D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: How To Get a 50/50 BOW (GUIDE)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 04:13:51 pm »
+2
Thanks for posting ninax! Congratulations on an amazing VA result! You must be stoked!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

sharpeye

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Sydney Boys
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 05:06:01 pm »
+2
Left it to the last month - no Art Express nomination and I thought I had done really crap then turned out to have gotten a 97 - was super stoked :D
Very risky though!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 05:36:43 pm »
+1
Left it to the last month - no Art Express nomination and I thought I had done really crap then turned out to have gotten a 97 - was super stoked :D
Very risky though!

Amazing! Can you tell us a bit about your BOW?
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

ninax

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 07:10:40 pm »
+2
Very risky though!

That's awesome! I've had friends with no Art Express nomination and got super awesome marks. How ArtExpress nominations work is that they recquire a certain amount of works /mediums for each type of school, for example, 'A painting from a catholic school, a painting from an urban school...'. You must be super skilled/ talented. I'd love to know more about your work. :D

Thanks for posting ninax! Congratulations on an amazing VA result! You must be stoked!

No worries, glad to help out :D
Hsc 2016 Exam Results: English Standard: 91 (93 raw)  General Math: 79 Business Studies: 78 Legal Studies: 84 Sor: 88 Visual Arts: 96 (99th percentile +Nomination for Art Express)
ATAR aim: 70-80. ATAR: 88.45 :D

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 11:21:02 pm »
+1
Amaaazzzzzziiiinnngg, thank youuu!!!! <3
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

sageziman

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 09:16:36 am »
Does anyone know any criteria to follow when filling out your VAPD

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 10:16:24 pm »
Hey! I'm wondering much should I be done with my BOW?

And I changed my idea, but it seems so basic, not unique and nothing deep ... :(
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

sina_wildr99

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 10:38:26 am »
Just a question, do you think i is alright to start my BOW without a strong conceptual work and then shape he meaning around the final product?

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 11:50:55 pm »
+5
Just a question, do you think i is alright to start my BOW without a strong conceptual work and then shape he meaning around the final product?

Honestly, that's what I was realised was best for me... since the time of that question, I posted just above yours.
I found that there are two ways of starting your BOW, both are suitable to the individual...
Some people are CONCEPTUALLY stronger, so they'll start developing their concepts first and then sort out the actions to convey their idea...
Some people, like you and I, are more PRACTICAL/hand-on, so they start off with the prac side then figure out the idea.
BUT, personally, I did have an idea to know the gist of my actions but then the experiments of what I envision them to be has helped me construct a stronger concept.
Once that is all good, IDEAS + ACTION table is your best friend from there... It will sort out your methods even clearer to you and from there, you are able to assess and evaluate... Such as, maybe that symbol isn't that good to show that idea? What else could show it better?
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

chloeannbarwick

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 04:07:00 pm »
+1
Hey! I'm wondering much should I be done with my BOW?

And I changed my idea, but it seems so basic, not unique and nothing deep ... :(

If you are feeling as though your idea is not unique nor deep, you should try to make up your marks within your practice and style. Lots of people with basic ideas create amazing works and do really well.
Get it done now, and you'll have less to do later

sina_wildr99

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 02:59:49 pm »
+2
Honestly, that's what I was realised was best for me... since the time of that question, I posted just above yours.
I found that there are two ways of starting your BOW, both are suitable to the individual...
Some people are CONCEPTUALLY stronger, so they'll start developing their concepts first and then sort out the actions to convey their idea...
Some people, like you and I, are more PRACTICAL/hand-on, so they start off with the prac side then figure out the idea.
BUT, personally, I did have an idea to know the gist of my actions but then the experiments of what I envision them to be has helped me construct a stronger concept.
Once that is all good, IDEAS + ACTION table is your best friend from there... It will sort out your methods even clearer to you and from there, you are able to assess and evaluate... Such as, maybe that symbol isn't that good to show that idea? What else could show it better?

THANK YOU SO MUCH, it made me feel much more confident about what I am doing :)

tahliamag

• Trailblazer
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 10:28:11 am »
hey everyone!,
Could you please suggest some tips on how to study for the theory exams as I'm really struggling. Thanks in advance!

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
How To Get a 50/50 BOW (GUIDE)
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 08:50:44 pm »
+4
Hey! :) It's all good haha, though I'm not sure where you are struggling at but I hope I can help!!

SECTION 1
So for exams, section I... practice exams are the key to success! I CAN'T STRESS THIS!! This has helped me heaps to get better at analysing at the plates in terms of speed and quality of responses.
Doing 1-2 practice question a week, depending on how much you think you need it will SIGNIFICANTLY increase your marks.
Just know your Conceptual Framework, Artist practice and Frames really well! So you are able to identify the question type and get into the mindset of deconstructing through the appropriate agency.

If you are struggling with coming up with to write when first seeing the plates, I would ask these questions.
"Why has the person who made this exam place this?"
"What does the warm colour palette tell us about (concept)"

Remember to not ONLY describe, but give the effect of what you have described. Similar to how you would write in English...
E.g. "In Plate 1, Dali's depicts an unconventional representation of the clock (describing) through his manipulation of its shape, creating obscurity (effect) within the painting"... See how I described what I saw and then stated the effect.
EXTRACTS!!!! PLEASE INCLUDE THEM!!
 Be smart about including them. The way I use them, and definitely, may differ from other students, is that I would incorporate it to express a certain point and explain what it means/shows.
E.g. "Plate 3, depicts Wenda Gu's direction for "1500 children to paint with algae water" (Extract A) indicating his unconventional art practice as he has utilised others to create his artworks, rather than himself" (Btw, poorly worded lol...).

USE YOUR READING TIME EFFECTIVELY --> THIS APPLIES TO BOTH SECTION I AND II.
 During this reading time, I would actually start at Section II and pick a question that suits whatever I have prepared. Personally, I go for the frames questions as my artists and artworks revolve around the deconstruction and influences from the cultural world and personal experiences. More on Section II later.
After knowing what question I want to do, I would do a small brainstorm in my head and organise the ideas/points that I want to deliver in response to the question.
Once satisfied, I would move onto Section I and read each question carefully and decide if its either Conceptual Framework. Artist Practice or a Frames Question. Then observe the plates and extracts. I would make small brainstorms in my head for every question.

DOING THE EXAM
  I ALWAYS start with Section II, since it's the extended response and gives me that drive to "not take my time" and be cautious of time. Then I would move on to the 12, 8 and 5 mark question respectively. Essentially, I work in reverse.  I tend to use too much time on Section I when I first started doing VA exams and lost a lot of marks in Section II.
That way, if I spent too much time on my essay or 12 or 8 mark question respectively. I can really quickly go over the 5 mark question and answer them in simple and short sentence or dot points! You'll at most score a 3 /5 if you did that.
But this approach is totally subjective and you don't need to use it. It's what best suits you!! :)

SECTION II --> TO PREP!!! PRACTICE QUESTIONSS AGAIN!
- Pick artists that you actually like!! And decide what area of the three agencies you want to focus on... Again, I did frames because I found it easier and since my chosen artists were easily adaptable to the questions. REMINDER: That the essay questions are allocated in the three agencies. So whatever agency you prepped for, CHOOSE IT!
- Remember 2 artworks for each artist.
- Generally speaking, frames question are usually question based on the artist's use of cultural, societal issues, visual language and/or personal experience as their influence.
- STRUCTURE --> would be like an English essay. intro, body and conclusion.
- Thesis statements !! Still apply and make it strong and impactful so that it answers the question really well.
- QUOTES!!!! INCLUDE THEMMM! It could from the artist themselves or art critics. Personally, I've only used quotes from the artist's themselves that describe what they explore within their artwork and what aspect of the world it reflects... Though I suspect that Artist practice will definitely need quotes from both artist and art critics!!

REVISION/ MAKING NOTES
- I would imagine that you have had your notes for your artists and artworks completed, if not for any reason, I would recommend them to be completed in the next few weeks.
- Have a general outline of what features/examples you want to use from the chosen artworks, loosely remember so you are able to adapt them to the question in the exam.
- PRACTICE! PRACTICE PRACTICE! This will help you think faster and write faster!
- If  you are having trouble memorising your points, I actually imagine the image in my head or draw a small sketch on the side of my exam paper and deconstruct on the spot. Trigger words like "cursive lines" will be enough to allow me to elaborate on it! So even if you don't remember fully, you'll definitely be able to write about based on your brief memory of your notes, fast thinking skills from practice and passion for the artworks/artist. 

HERE ARE SOME NOTES ON CF, AP AND F TO REVISE AND TEMPLATES I USE FOR STUDY NOTES:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BuKncYhF6JKyF5Gt5XopAGzwfoclO_DOnDTaBGsG08o/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gpF313HmRw-wMNlOJRL2-qrP3NgEP59C6TLQw0p1px8/edit

And I think that's all I've got to say haha! I hope I've helped and please message me if you are unclear about anyhitng I haven't discussed or already discussed! Remember this is purely based on my personal strategy and approach that has helped me sustain A grades for my exams.
AND IF I'M WRONG, ANYONE IS WELCOME TO CORRECT ME :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:20:40 pm by DalvinT »
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

lsong

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 04:46:27 pm »
Hi,
Does anyone if dirt/soil and sand can be used in our BOWs? Not sure if it's considered perishable or not.
Thanks! :)