Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 08:32:53 pm

Author Topic: HSC Class of 2018 Discussion Thread  (Read 14668 times)  Share 

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
  • It`s not a day without an existential crisis or tw
  • Respect: +19
HSC Class of 2018 Discussion Thread
« on: December 17, 2016, 09:49:57 am »
I know there's not too many around, (and I hope this is the right place for this) but I thought I'd give a call out to anyone moving into preliminaries next year! Get to know each other now so we can all help one another out by the time term 4 comes around. I'd love to know what subjects yall are doing and what your plans and goals are for your HSC year and beyond.

I'm taking
—Advanced English
—Mathematics
—Biology
—IPT
—LegL Studies
—Modern History
—And math and English extension

It's a lot of units, but I'll drop a few for HSC at least XD

I'm not sure about math extension though, because my school sent a letter with my electives list on it and there wasn't any sign of it on there :/ I got an overall A for my 10.3 course, which was pretty much year eleven math, but I'm not sure Sotho knows. Can't even email because the head of subject selection is away on vacation.

I hope to hear from some of you soon! 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 10:55:58 am by brenden »
HSC 2018: Who knows at this point

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: HSC Class of 2018?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 10:01:04 am »
14 units is pretty normal to start on tbh, you'd be surprised :P

10 5.3 A is always promising for maths extension but I'm kinda lost. Electives list?

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
Re: HSC Class of 2018?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 10:48:05 am »
Um by electives, it just means the subjects I'm taking next year. My school just words things weirdly I guess, aha. They send one out every year about all the courses you're taking. And essentially they didn't list my math extension course on there, despite having confirmed the lines earlier this year. I am the only one taking both extensions and am the only one having done so in a long time here, but I hope it's just a typo.

Sorry if I was unclear! I'm always so jumbled up when speaking to new people.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: HSC Class of 2018 Discussion Thread
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 11:07:29 am »
Oh I had that list in Yr 10 but not in Yr 11

Double check if you get timetabled in. If your lines are sorted it should be a typo. If you're a bit too concerned over it just contact them before the holidays start

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 11:35:11 am »
Our holidays have already started, (Anglican school) but I've shot an email to our head of learning about it. She wont be back until the third, but at least no one can accuse me of being complacent. Chances are it was a mail merge issue in that I had one more space than everyone else in my year.

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me, I really appreciate it.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 08:36:03 pm »
Our holidays have already started, (Anglican school) but I've shot an email to our head of learning about it. She wont be back until the third, but at least no one can accuse me of being complacent. Chances are it was a mail merge issue in that I had one more space than everyone else in my year.

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me, I really appreciate it.

Hey! Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about it, as you can pick up and change subjects at the beginning of prelim anyway :) So even if they have made a mistake and you haven't been placed on the roll, you should still be able to pick up the subject at the beginning of next year with hardly any fuss  ;D

Good luck with next year, and enjoy you holiday!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 09:41:04 pm »
I know there's not too many around, (and I hope this is the right place for this) but I thought I'd give a call out to anyone moving into preliminaries next year! Get to know each other now so we can all help one another out by the time term 4 comes around. I'd love to know what subjects yall are doing and what your plans and goals are for your HSC year and beyond.

I'm taking
—Advanced English
—Mathematics
—Biology
—IPT
—LegL Studies
—Modern History
—And math and English extension

It's a lot of units, but I'll drop a few for HSC at least XD

I'm not sure about math extension though, because my school sent a letter with my electives list on it and there wasn't any sign of it on there :/ I got an overall A for my 10.3 course, which was pretty much year eleven math, but I'm not sure Sotho knows. Can't even email because the head of subject selection is away on vacation.

I hope to hear from some of you soon!
Honestly i dont know how you managed a workload like that, even in prelim. I did 12 units and now im only doing 10. The way teachers say "you should have 12 so you can have a fallback" is just crap. Im already half decent at all my subjects and i was getting mid 80s for prelim exams (i only need an 80 ATAR) and even then my only really bad subject is english and i could do 20 units and nothing would save me if i fail english.
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

felicity_bry

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 09:41:58 pm »
Hi does anyone else feel like they're crumbling under the pressure of assessment tasks piling on top of another? I feel like I'm getting unnecessarily stressed for no reason, like I'm subconsciously telling myself if I fail the first assignments I'm setting myself up for failure. Peers telling me these are going to be worth a bit of my overall ATAR rank doesn't help either. If you're in the same situation holla at me pls because I feel so overwhelmed. r.i.p, good luck to you all <3

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 09:46:48 pm »
Hi does anyone else feel like they're crumbling under the pressure of assessment tasks piling on top of another? I feel like I'm getting unnecessarily stressed for no reason, like I'm subconsciously telling myself if I fail the first assignments I'm setting myself up for failure. Peers telling me these are going to be worth a bit of my overall ATAR rank doesn't help either. If you're in the same situation holla at me pls because I feel so overwhelmed. r.i.p, good luck to you all <3
Yep definitely know how your feeling - like it all 'counts' now so theres extra pressure to do a good job. All my goals for time management and dedication are literally flying out the window

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 09:49:09 pm »
+4
Hey! I personally found the first term of year 12 to be the hardest. The jump from year 11 to year 12 seemed even larger than year 10 to 11! Definitely completely normal to feel overwhelmed, you're not alone there :) It does get better, you get more used to the pressure as year 12 moves onwards :) Take this term as a bit of a learning experience moving forward - maybe you need to start your assessments earlier to avoid stress? Or start studying a week earlier than you normally do? Maybe your study habits aren't working, and that's why you feel overwhelmed? When I was at the same point as you, I realised that a big reason I was so stressed was because I was spending so much time writing notes, yet still feeling like I had no idea what I was learning, which made me super stressed. It alerted me to the fact that, hey, maybe writing notes wasn't my thing, and I transitioned to just focusing on past papers and I found year 12 from that point onwards a lot easier to manage :) Not saying that you're like me in that situation, but if you are finding things super difficult, maybe that means something needs to change?

If things are getting super difficult to manage, remember that people on here are always ready to help! :)

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 09:53:43 pm »
+2
Hey! I personally found the first term of year 12 to be the hardest. The jump from year 11 to year 12 seemed even larger than year 10 to 11! Definitely completely normal to feel overwhelmed, you're not alone there :) It does get better, you get more used to the pressure as year 12 moves onwards :) Take this term as a bit of a learning experience moving forward - maybe you need to start your assessments earlier to avoid stress? Or start studying a week earlier than you normally do? Maybe your study habits aren't working, and that's why you feel overwhelmed? When I was at the same point as you, I realised that a big reason I was so stressed was because I was spending so much time writing notes, yet still feeling like I had no idea what I was learning, which made me super stressed. It alerted me to the fact that, hey, maybe writing notes wasn't my thing, and I transitioned to just focusing on past papers and I found year 12 from that point onwards a lot easier to manage :) Not saying that you're like me in that situation, but if you are finding things super difficult, maybe that means something needs to change?

If things are getting super difficult to manage, remember that people on here are always ready to help! :)
True tips from a survivor. Thankyou

felicity_bry

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 09:17:08 am »

Yeah I definitely try to start my assignments earlier so I have more time to edit and change things in the week leading up to the due date, but I feel like when its time for me to sit down and do it my mind goes blank :( on top of assignments my teachers give us a lot of practice extended responses, and because I do almost all essay-based subjects (engl adv, ext1, ext 2, pdhpe, legal and bio), I feel like I'm going to burn out really quick.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 09:39:55 am »
+4
Yeah I definitely try to start my assignments earlier so I have more time to edit and change things in the week leading up to the due date, but I feel like when its time for me to sit down and do it my mind goes blank :( on top of assignments my teachers give us a lot of practice extended responses, and because I do almost all essay-based subjects (engl adv, ext1, ext 2, pdhpe, legal and bio), I feel like I'm going to burn out really quick.
I ONLY did essay-based subjects! I know it may seem like a lot right now - but your teachers have the right idea. Getting into the habit of regularly writing practice responses is one of the BEST ways to prepare for the HSC, and in the long run, actually cuts down your workload. Writing practice essays was the only way I studied for most of my subjects, and I didn't just do them before an exam - i'd consistently write them during the "off-period" as well. That meant that I was getting feedback and realising certain problems with my writing well in advance, so that by the time it was 1-2 weeks before an exam, when other people started to hand in responses and realise issues, I had already corrected them, and was focusing on smaller stuff to push my mark into the higher ranges like detail, links, etc. I didn't feel the crazy "rush" during exam times (I did during Trials, but that wasn't really because I had an insane amount of work today, more that I just put too much emphasis on those exams in my head and it freaked me out), because I was already prepared.

In terms dealing with assignments, I used to get writers block a lot in the first term, until I realised what was actually "blocking" my writing. I didn't feel confident when I'd get an assignment task, and automatically assume that I wouldn't be able to do it/understand - almost giving my brain an excuse to not do the work because "it's impossible, i'm not going to get it so why bother" (I had a lot of other friends that felt this way as well). When I kinda forced myself to shift this attitude away from "I can't do it" to "I can try to do it" I saw a lot more progress. I realised that if I can't do something, I probably need firstly talk to my teacher, but also experiment a bit more, and be willing to write a crap draft at the beginning, but work on it until its great :) My first draft for most of my assessments was pretty shit, but since I wrote the shit draft quite a few weeks in advance, I had enough time to pick it apart and improve! If your mind still goes blank, try and write out what you DO know about the topic, and start from there. You've been studying the content for how many weeks now - I'm sure you know something, even if you feel like its not that important :) Write out what you do know, that work out the gaps that you need to fill in, and work towards doing that my going through your classwork, talking to your teacher, and doing your own research :)

Hope this helps!

Susie

Alan.Najjar

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 11:33:53 am »
Hey guys i was just wondering if anyone has been granted disability provisions and what you gain from it?

felicity_bry

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 03:49:08 pm »
I ONLY did essay-based subjects! I know it may seem like a lot right now - but your teachers have the right idea. Getting into the habit of regularly writing practice responses is one of the BEST ways to prepare for the HSC, and in the long run, actually cuts down your workload. Writing practice essays was the only way I studied for most of my subjects, and I didn't just do them before an exam - i'd consistently write them during the "off-period" as well. That meant that I was getting feedback and realising certain problems with my writing well in advance, so that by the time it was 1-2 weeks before an exam, when other people started to hand in responses and realise issues, I had already corrected them, and was focusing on smaller stuff to push my mark into the higher ranges like detail, links, etc. I didn't feel the crazy "rush" during exam times (I did during Trials, but that wasn't really because I had an insane amount of work today, more that I just put too much emphasis on those exams in my head and it freaked me out), because I was already prepared.

In terms dealing with assignments, I used to get writers block a lot in the first term, until I realised what was actually "blocking" my writing. I didn't feel confident when I'd get an assignment task, and automatically assume that I wouldn't be able to do it/understand - almost giving my brain an excuse to not do the work because "it's impossible, i'm not going to get it so why bother" (I had a lot of other friends that felt this way as well). When I kinda forced myself to shift this attitude away from "I can't do it" to "I can try to do it" I saw a lot more progress. I realised that if I can't do something, I probably need firstly talk to my teacher, but also experiment a bit more, and be willing to write a crap draft at the beginning, but work on it until its great :) My first draft for most of my assessments was pretty shit, but since I wrote the shit draft quite a few weeks in advance, I had enough time to pick it apart and improve! If your mind still goes blank, try and write out what you DO know about the topic, and start from there. You've been studying the content for how many weeks now - I'm sure you know something, even if you feel like its not that important :) Write out what you do know, that work out the gaps that you need to fill in, and work towards doing that my going through your classwork, talking to your teacher, and doing your own research :)

Hope this helps!

Susie

Thank you so muchhh! It really did :))