Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:37:18 am

Author Topic: HSC Business Studies Question Thread  (Read 223355 times)  Share 

droodsh

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
Re: Business Studies Question Thread
« Reply #270 on: August 30, 2017, 12:07:25 pm »
+1
i would do it BK's way round... it seems more logical.
DO WHAT YOU WANT COZ A PIRATE IS FREE!

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #271 on: August 30, 2017, 02:29:37 pm »
+4
Could someone please explain the best way to approach this section IV essay question - should the answer focus on HR strategies or indicators of HRM effectiveness?

Assess the effectiveness of HR management strategies

Thank you!
Hi, julia_warren13!

This question comes straight out of the syllabus. When you revise the syllabus and content, be sure to remember what each section of the syllabus is being referred to.
This specific question asks about the human resource strategies, which is a heading in the syllabus. Effective indicators can be integrated to prove your point, but it shouldn't be the main focus.

So, you can discuss and assess the following:

leadership styles -- autocratic, democratic, laissez-faire, visionary
job designs -- specific or broad tasks
recruitment -- specific or general skills required
training and development -- current or future skills needed
performance management -- developmental or administrative
workplace disputes -- negotiation, mediation, grievance procedure, and courts and tribunals
rewards -- monetary or non-monetary, individual or group, performance pay
global strategies -- skills, costs, supplies

I think you should integrate some aspects of the indicators, because they interlink really well (e.g. the declination of absenteeism, as shown ..., is perpetrated by the appraisal and appreciation from managers).

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #272 on: August 31, 2017, 12:15:57 pm »
+1
hey...
i'd don't know if anyone uses this thread, :o but, i was just wanting to know-
what are some global factors that need to be considered when outsourcing?
thanks in advance! ;)

I would say:

-Increased cost of logistics, storage and distribution
-Managing different regulatory conditions between nations
-Increased complexity of overall operations when sourcing from diverse locations

~BK~

• Trendsetter
  • "Bibia be ye ye"- all will be well!
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #273 on: August 31, 2017, 12:32:59 pm »
+1
I would say:

-Increased cost of logistics, storage and distribution
-Managing different regulatory conditions between nations
-Increased complexity of overall operations when sourcing from diverse locations

Thanks so much 12070!! ;D ;D
i had never considered that 3rd point...
thats awesome! really appreciate it :)
i'll get to work finishing my essay now :D
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

Juliesokha

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #274 on: September 10, 2017, 01:54:33 pm »
Hello,

Can someone please mark my response? Let's say it's out of 8 marks.

1.   Asses the relationship between operations and the other key business functions in THREE actual businesses
The interrelationship between operations and other key business function is crucial in the aim of efficiently and effectively achieving the business’s main goals and objectives. Operation is the main key business function which involves in the process of transforming inputs into outputs and has the responsibility in producing quality goods and services. Therefore, there are needs for the operation function to be closely interrelated with the other functions. Marketing is to provide the business with information about the changes in tastes and preferences of the customers, the supplies and demands in the market, identifying target markets, help in promoting and designing products to satisfy the customers need and wants-. These factors determine the operation function to produce goods and services to meet the fluctuate changes and demands, designing favourable products to look more appeal to the target market and the potential target market and collect information to develop strategies to create an effective marketing plan for a business. For example, QANTAS does market research about the times of the year that everyone loves to travel and therefore, promote their company with special discounted prices to specific destinations or specific times of the year especially in Christmas Season. As a result, this promotion plan appeals to attract more customers in that time of the year every year. In relation to Finance, it needs to allocate adequate funds from different sources of finance in purchasing new equipment, budgeting funds into different operation activities, invest into more technological equipment to sophisticate the transformation process leading to an improvement in productivity and eliminating wastage of resources to achieve the objective of efficiency. These will reduce the cost of production which will have impact on the prices of final goods or services, resulting in the operations management to achieve its role in cost leadership. For example, Google raised US $23 billion in equity funds to purchase the Android mobile operating system in 2005 and YouTube in 2006. Google was also significantly increase its Research and Development budget, resulting in the creation of products such as Google Maps and Gmaill. Therefore, this feature helps to differentiate google or gmail in particular from its competitor Yahoo. While relating the operations with human resources is necessarily focusing on the recruitment of relevant and skilful employees who has the potential to work in the transformation process of the business.  They need to be trained with skills that are needed in the process and works towards to improve the worker productivity in the operations process. This increases will help in producing goods in a high volume which will allow the business to meet their customers needs and demands quickly. For example, Apple recruited people from China to reduce their cost of labour which is seen as an additional expense for the business. Also, the supply of employees with skills and relevant experience was huge which easily allow the business to produce their products in a high volume with quality. As a result, this has allowed Apple to sustain its competitive advantage against the competitors through cost leadership that derives from reduction of expenses and products differentiation in terms of quality, flexibility and availability of the products in the market. Therefore, the understanding of the relationship between operations and the other key business functions are highly effective in the aim of helping the business to sustain its competitive advantage and improve in business performance.

_____

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #275 on: September 10, 2017, 03:40:13 pm »
+9
Hello,

Can someone please mark my response? Let's say it's out of 8 marks.

1.   Asses the relationship between operations and the other key business functions in THREE actual businesses
The interrelationship between operations and other key business function is crucial in the aim of efficiently and effectively achieving the business’s main goals and objectives. Operation is the main key business function which involves in the process of transforming inputs into outputs and has the responsibility in producing quality goods and services. Therefore, there are needs for the operation function to be closely interrelated with the other functions. Marketing is to provide the business with information about the changes in tastes and preferences of the customers, the supplies and demands in the market, identifying target markets, help in promoting and designing products to satisfy the customers need and wants-. These factors determine the operation function to produce goods and services to meet the fluctuate changes and demands, designing favourable products to look more appeal to the target market and the potential target market and collect information to develop strategies to create an effective marketing plan for a business. For example, QANTAS does market research about the times of the year that everyone loves to travel and therefore, promote their company with special discounted prices to specific destinations or specific times of the year especially in Christmas Season. As a result, this promotion plan appeals to attract more customers in that time of the year every year. In relation to Finance, it needs to allocate adequate funds from different sources of finance in purchasing new equipment, budgeting funds into different operation activities, invest into more technological equipment to sophisticate the transformation process leading to an improvement in productivity and eliminating wastage of resources to achieve the objective of efficiency. These will reduce the cost of production which will have impact on the prices of final goods or services, resulting in the operations management to achieve its role in cost leadership. For example, Google raised US $23 billion in equity funds to purchase the Android mobile operating system in 2005 and YouTube in 2006. Google was also significantly increase its Research and Development budget, resulting in the creation of products such as Google Maps and Gmaill. Therefore, this feature helps to differentiate google or gmail in particular from its competitor Yahoo. While relating the operations with human resources is necessarily focusing on the recruitment of relevant and skilful employees who has the potential to work in the transformation process of the business.  They need to be trained with skills that are needed in the process and works towards to improve the worker productivity in the operations process. This increases will help in producing goods in a high volume which will allow the business to meet their customers needs and demands quickly. For example, Apple recruited people from China to reduce their cost of labour which is seen as an additional expense for the business. Also, the supply of employees with skills and relevant experience was huge which easily allow the business to produce their products in a high volume with quality. As a result, this has allowed Apple to sustain its competitive advantage against the competitors through cost leadership that derives from reduction of expenses and products differentiation in terms of quality, flexibility and availability of the products in the market. Therefore, the understanding of the relationship between operations and the other key business functions are highly effective in the aim of helping the business to sustain its competitive advantage and improve in business performance.

I think your understanding of the concept of interdependence is great but this answer could be made clearer in terms of grammar and also what you're saying in general imo.

The interrelationship between operations and other key business function is crucial in the aim of efficiently and effectively achieving the business’s main goals and objectives. Operation is the main key business function which involves in the process of transforming inputs into outputs and has the responsibility in producing quality goods and services.

In business studies I don't believe it's necessary to try and use incredibly fancy language like you might in English. Hence, there's no need to say "goals and objectives," as these words essentially mean the same thing (plus it saves time if you can avoid writing stuff that probably won't add to an answer).

that everyone loves to travel and therefore

Regarding appropriate language once again you could say "peak travel periods for target markets such as corporate travellers and the holiday travel market" just so you're using business terminology. I'm not sure how much this would affect your mark, but it may reinforce your understanding of the content.

While relating the operations with human resources is necessarily focusing on the recruitment of relevant and skilful employees who has the potential to work in the transformation process of the business.  They need to be trained with skills that are needed in the process and works towards to improve the worker productivity in the operations process. This increases will help in producing goods in a high volume which will allow the business to meet their customers needs and demands quickly. For example, Apple recruited people from China to reduce their cost of labour which is seen as an additional expense for the business.

This is good stuff. You've:

• Described how HR and operations are interdependent
  • Mentioned the significance of this connection (important for an assess question)
  • Linked a relevant case study and described effects on the business

The only thing I'd say is that your ideas could be expressed a bit more clearly, although the markers will provide some lenience for answers under exam conditions. This way, they can be completely certain you understand what you're talking about.

As I'm not a teacher it can be a bit hard for me to provide feedback on this and I'm not sure to what extent it matters. I'll provide an excerpt from your answer and how I'd edit it slightly.

Yours: While relating the operations with human resources is necessarily focusing on the recruitment of relevant and skilful employees who has the potential to work in the transformation process of the business.  They need to be trained with skills that are needed in the process and works towards to improve the worker productivity in the operations process. This increases will help in producing goods in a high volume which will allow the business to meet their customers needs and demands quickly. For example, Apple recruited people from China to reduce their cost of labour which is seen as an additional expense for the business.

Mine: Fundamental to the interdependence between operations and human resources is the recruitment, development and maintenance of employees appropriate to the operations process. Staff need to be trained with skills that are needed in the operations process in order to maximise operational efficiency and to ensure that work is carried out correctly. Investment in new recruits and training programs will help in coping with the operational influence of volume** which will allow the business to meet their customers needs and demands quickly. For example, Apple contracted employees from a global supplier in China to reduce their cost of labour in order to improve operational profit margins.

** Mentioning the influence of volume in operations is a great idea, what I changed was just mentioning it as an operational influence (technically under the transformation processes) a bit more clearly so a marker would understand that you know the syllabus.

Don't be disheartened by the amount of stuff I've edited, this is just how I would do it but hopefully you can take something from it. Your answer and understanding is excellent, just mention a few more business terms (as you're already doing) like global supplier, contractor, investment and target market and keep hammering the syllabus home in order to maximise your mark.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #276 on: September 10, 2017, 09:42:44 pm »
+5
Hey! Sure, I'd be happy to mark it.

Assess the relationship between operations and the other key business functions in THREE actual businesses. (8 marks)

Commented
The interrelationship between operations and other key business function (you won't have long in the exam, so be specific; which key business functions are you going to introduce?) is crucial in the aim of efficiently and effectively achieving the business’s main goals and objectives. Operation is the main key business function which involves in the process of transforming inputs into outputs and has the responsibility in producing quality goods and services. (1) Therefore, there are needs for the operation function to be closely interrelated with the other functions. Marketing (1) is to provide the business with information about the changes in tastes and preferences of the customers, the supplies and demands in the market, identifying target markets, help in promoting and designing products to satisfy the customers need and wants-. These factors determine the operation function to produce goods and services to meet the fluctuate changes and demands, designing favourable products to look more appeal to the target market and the potential target market and collect information to develop strategies to create an effective marketing plan for a business. For example, QANTAS does market research about the times of the year that everyone loves to travel (awkward phrasing; revise) and therefore, promote their company with special discounted prices to specific destinations or specific times of the year especially in Christmas Season. (you've discussed how marketing strategies are used, but how does this relate back to the operations? Look into the relationships marketing research has with the services of operations) As a result, this promotion plan appeals to attract more customers in that time of the year every year. (revise wording) In relation to Finance, it needs to allocate adequate funds from different sources of finance in purchasing new equipment, budgeting funds into different operation activities, invest into more technological equipment to sophisticate the transformation process leading to an improvement in productivity and eliminating wastage of resources to achieve the objective of efficiency. (1) These will reduce the cost of production which will have impact on the prices of final goods or services, resulting in the operations management to achieve its role in cost leadership. For example, Google raised US $23 billion in equity funds to purchase the Android mobile operating system in 2005 and YouTube in 2006. Google was also significantly increase its Research and Development budget, resulting in the creation of products such as Google Maps and Gmaill. Therefore, this feature helps to differentiate google or gmail in particular from its competitor Yahoo. While relating the operations with human resources is necessarily focusing on the recruitment of relevant and skilful employees who has the potential to work in the transformation process of the business.  They need to be trained with skills that are needed in the process and works towards to improve the worker productivity in the operations process. This increases will help in producing goods in a high volume which will allow the business to meet their customers needs and demands quickly. For example, Apple recruited people from China to reduce their cost of labour which is seen as an additional expense for the business. Also, the supply of employees with skills and relevant experience was huge which easily allow the business to produce their products in a high volume with quality. As a result, this has allowed Apple to sustain its competitive advantage against the competitors through cost leadership that derives from reduction of expenses and products differentiation in terms of quality, flexibility and availability of the products in the market. Therefore, the understanding of the relationship between operations and the other key business functions are highly effective in the aim of helping the business to sustain its competitive advantage and improve in business performance.

Mark: 6/8
- Conceptually, I think you have an extensive knowledge on the interactions between the four key business functions; you have relevant case studies, so that's a good place to start.
- What I think you're lacking is: clarity. A lot of the times you're a bit too generic with how you answer the question, which diminishes the extensive knowledge you have. Look into more depth with how each of the key business functions coexist.

For marketing, how does the market research process relate with the services provided by the operations department? How is this information transformed from its input into an output? You've answered the Finance section well, but marketing and human resources required a more in depth knowledge -- in what way? Specifically, how does recruiting the right people increase productivity? Because just recruiting the right people with specific skills doesn't ascertain a more productive workplace -- other HR factors can contribute as well; so, make sure you go one step further and describe the specific processes of operations that are affected by the strategies undertaken by the HR department.

- Also look into how you can separate out your points. At first glance, this looks like a wall of text with no direction -- so be sure that when you're answering these questions that your indentation is clear with appropriate paragraphs.

If I was to answer this, and it was worth 8 marks, here would be my marking guidelines:
8 marks:
- 1 mark: Describe what the operations department does for a business (1/1)
- 3 marks: Outline how each of the kbf enable the operations department to succeed (1/3)
- 3 marks: Outline how the operations department is successful (with other kbf) in three actual businesses (3/3)
- 1 mark: Evaluate/Assessing the success of the operations department for the business, relating it back to the three kbf (1/1)

Hopefully, this helps with answering those longer response questions!

Juliesokha

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #277 on: September 11, 2017, 10:22:02 pm »
+1
Hi BK and opengangs,

Thank you so muchhh!! They helped a lot and I don't mind as if you both were being harsh on it :)

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Augustines College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #278 on: September 16, 2017, 01:20:24 pm »
Hi All,

Does anyone have any predictions for this years essay questions?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #279 on: September 16, 2017, 05:39:55 pm »
+1
Hi All,

Does anyone have any predictions for this years essay questions?

at my school, one of the business teachers runs predictions every year.

if you're reading this, please remember they're predictions! this teacher thinks for the essay, it'll be either marketing or finance, and the business report will be operations and hr.
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #280 on: September 19, 2017, 07:58:11 pm »
HEY GUYS!

For HR- i was wondeirng which strategies can be used in responce to which influence?

I have an essay question 'Assess strategies that management may use to respond to key influences on human resources' but idk which strategy can fix which influence on hr

Thank you

Mathew587

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #281 on: September 19, 2017, 08:24:52 pm »
HEY GUYS!

For HR- i was wondeirng which strategies can be used in responce to which influence?

I have an essay question 'Assess strategies that management may use to respond to key influences on human resources' but idk which strategy can fix which influence on hr

Thank you

HEY GUYS!

Thank you

what influences do you think you'd want to talk about in that essay?
HSC 2017- 90.58
English Adv: 85
Mathematics Adv: 89
Biology: 86
Chemistry: 81
Economics:86
Business Stud: 91

~ UNSW Economics/Science ~

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #282 on: September 19, 2017, 08:30:38 pm »
+3
HEY GUYS!

Thank you

stakeholders would be an influence affected by every strategy, because the hr topic is just on people and how they interact with a business :-)

leadership style
 job design – general or specific tasks // stakeholders
 recruitment – internal or external, general or specific skills // stakeholders, maybe technological, maybe ethics/csr (i'm not too sure on this because i can't exactly remember the difference between operations csr and hr whoops)
 training and development – current or future skills // stakeholders, technological (because technology is constantly evolving, and you need to train people on that)
 performance management – developmental or administrative // stakeholders, technological (administrative)
 rewards – monetary and non-monetary, individual or group, performance pay // stakeholders, social
 global – costs, skills, supply // stakeholders, legal, technological, economic
 workplace disputes
– resolution – negotiation, mediation, grievance procedures, involvement of courts and tribunals // stakeholders, legal

i think that covers all strategies and influences - hope this helps!!

not going to lie i'm waiting for OpenGangs to come through with a super detailed answer
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #283 on: September 19, 2017, 08:34:13 pm »
+2
what influences do you think you'd want to talk about in that essay?

i don't think it's a matter of which influences you'd want to talk about in an essay, because shouldn't you do all? one of the trials questions i had on hr was on influences (and something else but i can't remember because i didn't do this question), and it was expected that we knew all of them, and could write an entire essay about them. :-)

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Augustines College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #284 on: September 19, 2017, 09:06:23 pm »
+2
HEY GUYS!

Thank you

Hi there,

Here are some Infleunces to Stratagies you could link

Infleunce of the Stakeholder of Employees you could link to rewards, Participative leadership style, Training and workplace disputes

The infleunce of the Stakeholder - Trade Unions you could link to the strategy of recuritment ( its tough) or workplace disputes ( also not easy)

The influence of Legal requirments you could link to Recuritment

The Influene of Economic you could link to Training and rewards

The influence of Ethics + CSR you could link to Workplace disputes, leadership style and Training and development

Hope that helps