Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 08:48:20 pm

Author Topic: Paper One Preparations: 16 HOURS TO GO!  (Read 15357 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Paper One Preparations: 16 HOURS TO GO!
« on: October 12, 2016, 04:07:37 pm »
+16

Paper One is Tomorrow

You’re about to discover how sweet it is to cross one exam off your list. This is one hurdle closer to the finish line, the parties, the perpetual sleep-ins and the bonfire of all your study notes (but not before you upload a digital copy for the next cohort – right?). So, the night before Paper One, how are we feeling?

Tonight You Need Rest

Paper one starts later than most of your other morning exams, starting at 10:20am tomorrow. That allows plenty of time for a good breakfast, some serious pep-talking (this is not the time for wallowing in self-doubt), and a quick refresher of your notes. For now, get to bed at some reasonable hour and remind yourself that tomorrow you’ll perform to the best of your ability.

Tomorrow You Need Food

Those “I don’t eat breakfast” people have got a conundrum coming up – your exam will sit right on top of prime lunch time for the non-breakfasteers amongst us. Give yourself some toast. If you are a breakfast person, make sure you fill up on lots of good things and probably not a breakfast burrito (be considerate of your fellow peers!).

Make Up Your Little Exam Pack

You know how it is, labels off water bottles, a little zip lock bag with a sad absence of food and instead a few pens and a highlighter. Don’t be the person who doesn’t have a pen for the exam. Please. Don’t.

Last Chance to Commit to Memory!

Yeah, tomorrow you can revise, but if you’re wanting to get that last quote nice and comfy in the front of your brain, then now is the chance. Don’t beat yourself up staying up late tonight for the sake of memorising. You’ll be pleasantly surprised how much information you bring to an exam that you didn’t anticipate. But, if you’re truly cramming, the time is now. Bring it back to basics, the essentials, the backbones of your work. No use remembering a concluding sentence when that brain space is better used nailing a quote. If you want some help memorising for paper one tomorrow, you can get some tips here.

What's Your Exam Plan?

If you haven’t decided your plan of action for the paper one exam yet, then the time is now. How will you approach each section of the exam? Will you go in order of the paper? Perhaps your weakest section first? Or last? Consider how you’re going to use your reading time. Personally, I tackled the first reading of the unseen texts for the majority of the reading time and tried to knock that out of the park as the first section off the list. All went well, and I finished the unseen texts within the first 30 minutes, then I fled through my memorised creative and approached the essay with the extra time I shaved off elsewhere. Think carefully about how you want to allocate your time.

Walk in Confident

There's a lot to be said for holding your head high and giving yourself a little pat on the back before the exam. You'll be around people who are comforting one another with their comparable lack of preparation. Trust in the ability for fake confidence, or real and outwardly confidence, to carry into the exam. If someone asks you how you think you're going to go, the answer is, "I think I'm going to go really well, it is what it is." Don't let the puddles of self-pity around you drag you down, because if you're feeling confident, let that light shine. If you're feeling less than confident, FOOL yourself into thinking that this exam was MADE for you.

Time For Some Good Feels

This is the beginning of the end. It is the beginning of a painful ending to a strenuous year. You’ve done it! You’ve carried yourself, you’ve carried others, and they’ve carried you. This is no time to be soppy, but dammit give yourself a jolly pat on the back. Push through tomorrow, and keep on keeping on. The end is near, dear friend.

Give yourself the best start to the exam rush as possible. Set a good tone early on and be proud of yourself. REALLY PROUD OF YOURSELF. When you walk out tomorrow, the thoughts of “I completely screwed up section one” are incomparably sour in contrast to the tiny but mighty voice inside you that wants to acknowledge your solid effort. When you walk out tomorrow, it’ll be one exam done.

I know you feel like you’re crawling, maybe scraping, possibly being dragged, across the finish line. Get up and turn it into a sprint. The final leg is here, now make it yours.

Need Some Help?

Ask last minute questions here and get a quick response.

Looking to stamp out some easy mistakes that can be made? Find out what they are here.

Trying to nail a thesis statement? Put the finishing touches on it with this guide.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 12:16:54 am by jamonwindeyer »
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
Re: Paper One Preparations: 16 HOURS TO GO!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 04:39:18 pm »
+3
This is such an amazing piece of persausive writing elyse!! You have really gone above and beyond this time!

The breakfast burritos part made me lol, as there always is that one person who decides to crack one in the exam room..

Also, for those people like me who struggle with hayfever symptoms..
Tomorrow you need tissues.

Be fair to your peers, and to yourself, and just bring some tissues. Or if you have a hayfever medication working for you, then dont forget to take it!! Don't be that person who sniffs it all back so that the other people can hear it for over two hours. Seriously, this is the last time you will ever see some of these, dont be remembered for the grot who didn't blow their nose for the whole exam. Also remember there are tissues at the front! Just get a supervisor to get a few or place the whole box on your desk (this was my Biology Trial paper, the whole box got placed on my desk after the third time asking ;D)

Just want to bring up an old quote (by Neutron) that has been helping me through the lead up to the HSC as it is so accurate:
"The HSC is a marathon right? Right now it feels like I've sprained both of my ankles and it's the final 100 metre sprint."

Haha good luck everyone!!! You can do it!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:43:28 pm by studybuddy7777 »

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 05:01:07 pm »
+1
Thank you Elyse! Right now I am trying to stay calm while planning some essays, nothing to heavy! This was really helpful. :)
HSC 2016: Adv. English [83] Adv. Maths [89] Physics [80] Chemistry [85] Ancient History [94]
ATAR - 92.70

BPunjabi

• Forum Obsessive
  • So... Hows life?
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 05:10:54 pm »
This is such an amazing piece of persausive writing elyse!! You have really gone above and beyond this time!

The breakfast burritos part made me lol, as there always is that one person who decides to crack one in the exam room..

Also, for those people like me who struggle with hayfever symptoms..
Tomorrow you need tissues.

Be fair to your peers, and to yourself, and just bring some tissues. Or if you have a hayfever medication working for you, then dont forget to take it!! Don't be that person who sniffs it all back so that the other people can hear it for over two hours. Seriously, this is the last time you will ever see some of these, dont be remembered for the grot who didn't blow their nose for the whole exam. Also remember there are tissues at the front! Just get a supervisor to get a few or place the whole box on your desk (this was my Biology Trial paper, the whole box got placed on my desk after the third time asking ;D)

Just want to bring up an old quote (by Neutron) that has been helping me through the lead up to the HSC as it is so accurate:
"The HSC is a marathon right? Right now it feels like I've sprained both of my ankles and it's the final 100 metre sprint."

Haha good luck everyone!!! You can do it!

TF is a breakfast burrito?
Did HSC in 2016 and was first person to get 100. Aeronautical engineering for me now :P
  <-- CLICK ME

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 05:13:59 pm »
TF is a breakfast burrito?

Lol if you did not get the reference it has a lot of baked beans on it ;D ;D

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 05:16:03 pm »
+2
This is the beginning of the end. It is the beginning of a painful ending to a strenuous year. You’ve done it! You’ve carried yourself, you’ve carried others, and they’ve carried you. This is no time to be soppy, but dammit give yourself a jolly pat on the back. Push through tomorrow, and keep on keeping on. The end is near, dear friend.

Give yourself the best start to the exam rush as possible. Set a good tone early on and be proud of yourself. REALLY PROUD OF YOURSELF. When you walk out tomorrow, the thoughts of “I completely screwed up section one” are incomparably sour in contrast to the tiny but mighty voice inside you that wants to acknowledge your solid effort. When you walk out tomorrow, it’ll be one exam done.

I know you feel like you’re crawling, maybe scraping, possibly being dragged, across the finish line. Get up and turn it into a sprint. The final leg is here, now make it yours.

Pep Talk Queen  8)
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

Nicki

• Trailblazer
  • hello
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 06:06:54 pm »
+1
this was so empowering!  ;) :D 8)
HSC 2016 Graduate
Subjects:
English Standard, Mathematics, Business Studies, Legal Studies, Economics, Community and Family Studies

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
  • School: Cerdon College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 06:08:56 pm »
+2
thanks Elyse for another amazing advice pep talk :) You're the best

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 08:37:10 am »
+5
Good luck all!

I'm happy I've been a tiny little part in your happy feels before exams :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jessica.sheppard23

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 08:10:56 pm »
help Do you need to memorise your student number or not ?!!! my teachers didn't tell me

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 08:19:35 pm »
+1
help Do you need to memorise your student number or not ?!!! my teachers didn't tell me

Welcome to the forums! Nope you should have a student card on your desk with those details ;D

biffi023

• Trailblazer
  • Kum Bah Yah
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 08:19:40 pm »
+1
should be on your name tag on your desk... at least ours always are!
ATB ;)