Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 02:12:57 pm

Author Topic: Thesis statement feedback and discussion thread  (Read 128490 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Thesis statement feedback and discussion thread
« Reply #270 on: October 07, 2017, 09:47:27 am »
Hi everyone. If anyone could comment on my introduction for Module C, it will be a big help. Thanks in advance.

'Political motivations may be ambiguous, but control is the ultimate goal.'

Hey there! Welcome to the forums - so stoked to have you here!! \

Texts are subjective constructions which represent a composer’s personal perspective on political ideologies or agendas, reflecting their specific contextual concerns. Nice! Often, these texts present an unambiguous political motivation, where control in the form of influencing audiences into adopting the composer’s perspective is the primary focus. Revisionist Historian Henry Reynolds’ memoir Why Weren’t We Told is one such text, no need for the comma which negatively portrays Australian society’s attitudes towards race relations to highlight the systemic expurgation of Aboriginal perspectives in Australian history. Similarly, Kirkpatrick’s documentary Mary Meets Mohammed (2013) challenges the contemporary culture of misinformation and cross-cultural barriers in Australian society with regards to asylum seekers. this part needs to relate more directly to the question - about politics, ambiguity, and goals. Instead, you've spoken about the subject matter. The respective composers select specific textual forms and associated techniques to present their ideas, enforcing obvious political agendas which ultimately aim to garner control of audience’s perspectives on a given issue. Nice ending! Just that second text's sentence you need to adjust :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Henry Kocatekin

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #271 on: October 07, 2017, 11:09:10 am »
Hi, This is for Module C, People and Politics:

"Representation of the world, like the world itself, is the work of men; they describe it from their own point of view, which they confuse with the absolute truth.” Simone de Beauvoir. To what extent is this notion evident in the texts you have studied. Your response must refer to your prescribed text and at least ONE other text of your own choosing.

Political systems are not intrinsically good or bad, but rather open to interpretation and representation. Composers represent the world and particular political values, dependent on their own personal values, in order to invite critique towards how those ideologies impact people and societies. They leave the ultimate decision up to the audience, rather than definitively sharing what they believe is absolute truth.

Checkmate123

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #272 on: October 07, 2017, 04:40:17 pm »
I am having difficulties understanding some parts of the Notes from markers. This is Mod A by the way.
For example, in the candidates should improve in section, it says:

"avoiding a thematic study of the two texts. Comparative study must not simply be seen as thematic study. Textual form and purpose must be integrated"

What does is mean by integrating textual form and purpose? While purpose of the texts may have been shaped due to context, surely they are not expecting a comparative study of two textual forms.

I'm doing 1984 and Metropolis, so if anyone has specific pointers, it would be fantastic.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 04:41:48 pm by Checkmate123 »
English Advanced - 95
Physics - 95
Chemistry - 95
4U Maths - 95
3U Maths - 98

2017 ATAR: 99.85

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #273 on: October 08, 2017, 03:21:54 pm »
does anyone have any thesis ideas for mod b curiuous incident if the dog in the night time essays
ATAR Goal 90

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #274 on: October 08, 2017, 03:55:55 pm »
+1
does anyone have any thesis ideas for mod b curious incident if the dog in the night time essays

For this study, you need to understand what the author is trying to portray. For the curious-incident, it was all about differing perspectives and uniqueness, shown through the character of christopher (and other characters!), and the structure of the book. Also, thesis ideas come from the question, so having a set thesis, especially from this book is difficult, but normally discussing this unique world, you are able to talk about any question.

For example, CSSA was about independence, and my half-yearly was about the difficult nature of life.
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #275 on: October 08, 2017, 10:09:11 pm »
I am having difficulties understanding some parts of the Notes from markers. This is Mod A by the way.
For example, in the candidates should improve in section, it says:

"avoiding a thematic study of the two texts. Comparative study must not simply be seen as thematic study. Textual form and purpose must be integrated"

What does is mean by integrating textual form and purpose? While purpose of the texts may have been shaped due to context, surely they are not expecting a comparative study of two textual forms.

I'm doing 1984 and Metropolis, so if anyone has specific pointers, it would be fantastic.

I think they mean that the textual form has been changed to suit the audience. Most people nowadays are more interested in a movie than a Shakespeare play, and you need to use textual features in your answer. eg for poem use poetic techniques and focus on how it makes the original more accessible for the audience

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #276 on: October 08, 2017, 11:36:39 pm »
I only have a thesis for AOS and mod A at this stage. They've worked ok for internals but just wondering if anyone has feedback and do you think they are easily adaptable to the question?

AOS: the acceptance of discovery leads to growth in individuals and allows them to change their circumstances, while a lack of discovery leads to stagnant characters in a static situation

Mod A: despite differing forms and contexts, the various perspectives portrayed by texts offer a snapshot of humanity that is essentially the same
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

winstondarmawan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #277 on: October 14, 2017, 10:20:22 am »
Would appreciate feedback on my Mod B and C thesis for the following questions:
Q: Composers reinforce the significance of having a voice as part of the human experience in their speeches. To what extent does your interpretation of speeches support this view?
Thesis: Impassioned orators effectively vocally assert the importance of literature in giving the impoverished a voice. This is central to the shared human experience, as it provides a pathway for these individuals to escape situations of inequality and lead a promising lifestyle - an aspect of humanity all should be entitled to.

Q: Analyse how the representation of people and landscapes leads to a greater awareness of the complexity of human attitudes and behaviours.
Thesis: Attitudes and behaviour vary across individuals, as as such a composer's representation of these attitudes within landscapes epitomises the audiences awareness of the importance of maintaining open-minded attitudes in response to the natural landscape - testament to it's complexity.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:51:59 am by winstondarmawan »

SSSS

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #278 on: October 14, 2017, 04:31:53 pm »
Hey what do you guys think will be the question for the discovery essay? I should be fine but worried if they try to trick us this year with relationships or something ...

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #279 on: October 14, 2017, 07:36:22 pm »
Hey what do you guys think will be the question for the discovery essay? I should be fine but worried if they try to trick us this year with relationships or something ...
My friend thought she found a pattern and predicted that it will be confronting and provocative discoveries but the pattern doesn't actually work so who knows
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #280 on: October 14, 2017, 09:30:41 pm »

Not relationships!!! There's only one poem of Gray that actually fits with it

Kirri Rule

• Trailblazer
  • School: Northern beaches christain school
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #281 on: October 15, 2017, 11:11:29 am »
Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me how the dot point "discoveries worth may be reassessed over time" relates to the tempest, an idiot abroad or perks of being a walflower!! Thank you heaps :))

angelahchan

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #282 on: October 15, 2017, 07:12:34 pm »
Hi, how do we talk about "ramifications may differ for individuals and their worlds" if there aren't other characters involved in the discovery besides an individual?

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #283 on: October 15, 2017, 07:27:18 pm »
Hi, how do we talk about "ramifications may differ for individuals and their worlds" if there aren't other characters involved in the discovery besides an individual?
You can discuss how the experience of discovering may differ between their personal, spiritual, and emotional. You can also connect ideas of transformation between past experiences and their intentional act of discovering, in order to emphasise the significance of discovery. It can be anything from a transient moment of (re)discovery to something that affects the individual later down the road, and facilitates individuals to explore new possibilities of discovery.

jamlessjimin

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #284 on: November 17, 2017, 10:52:59 pm »
Hi, so our practice question was "It is when our assumptions are challenged by significant discoveries that our lives are transformed. How is this perspective on the Discovery concept represented?" and our actual question was just released and it's "The most important discoveries are unplanned.' To what extent does this statement reflect the way discovery is represented in your texts?" - btw they give us the question since it's a speech. It would be most efficient to just shift my practice a bit but I'm not sure how to. Any suggestions? My texts are Motorcycle Diaries and Demian.
Thanks!