Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 06:58:05 am

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 347603 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: HSC Biology Question Thread
« Reply #1245 on: October 02, 2018, 12:59:49 pm »
+1
Hi...

What is the difference between independent assortment and random segregation? I always get confused between these two...
Random segregation means that homologous chromosomes are randomly placed into the daughter cells. Independent assortment means that which of a homologous chromosome is placed into a daughter cell has no effect on which copy of a different chromosome is placed into the same daughter cell.

That's why when genes are independent it means that they're on different chromosomes. So if gene A and gene B are on different chromosomes (lets say gene A is on 13 and gene B is on 20) then getting allele A (located on the first homologous copy of chromosome 13) of gene A does not affect whether you will get allele A (chromosome 20, copy 1) or allele B (chromosome 20, copy 2) of gene B.

When genes are linked they're on the same chromosome - so they don't assort independently and are generally inherited together (barring things like crossing over separating them).
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

martinarena_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #1246 on: October 02, 2018, 04:38:11 pm »
Hi there!
Just had a quick question regarding the Biotechnology Syllabus - for the following dot points do we only choose one of the suggested or was it providing an example for EACH of the ones they've listed? (bit of a stupid question, but the wording of the dot point just hit me hard haha)
•   describe one example from the following applications of aquaculture:
ー   production of a pharmaceutical from algae
ー   farming of a marine animal
•   describe one example from the following applications of animal or plant biotechnology:
ー   production of monoclonal antibodies
ー   recombinant vaccines to combat virulent animal diseases
•   describe one example from the following applications of biotechnology in medicine:
ー   tissue engineering using skin transplantation as an example
ー   gene delivery by nasal sprays
ー   production of a synthetic hormone, such as insulin

Thank you in advance :) !
2019: Bachelor of Veterinary Biology/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (USYD)

HSC 2018
Legal Studies / Business Studies / Biology / Maths Ext 1 / Advanced English

HSC 2017 (Accelerated)
Mathematics

Ace2018

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1247 on: October 02, 2018, 06:43:29 pm »
HEY GUYS! TO ANYONE DOING MALARIA AS AN INFECTIOUS DISEASE, WHAT IS THE HOST RESPONSE? I'VE DUG THROUGH THE INTERNET HIGH AND LOW BUT KEEP ENDING UP IN COMPLEX REPORTS AND ARTICLES THAT ARE REALLY IN DEPTH AND WAY BEYOND THE BIO SYLLABUS. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED! :) :)

martinarena_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #1248 on: October 02, 2018, 07:22:58 pm »
+2
HEY GUYS! TO ANYONE DOING MALARIA AS AN INFECTIOUS DISEASE, WHAT IS THE HOST RESPONSE? I'VE DUG THROUGH THE INTERNET HIGH AND LOW BUT KEEP ENDING UP IN COMPLEX REPORTS AND ARTICLES THAT ARE REALLY IN DEPTH AND WAY BEYOND THE BIO SYLLABUS. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED! :) :)

Hi there!
Basically, when the plasmodium is inside the human liver (where it produces asexually) it is isolated from the host's immune response. However, when the merozoites (daughter parasites) are released from the liver and enter the red blood cells, this is when the host begins to produce antibodies against it - but get this, the surface antigens of the plasmodium actually changes periodically! This allows it to avoid the host's immune response - therefore the changing surface antigens are not recognised by the antibodies already produced by the host.

Hope this is helpful  :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 07:28:18 pm by martinarena_ »
2019: Bachelor of Veterinary Biology/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (USYD)

HSC 2018
Legal Studies / Business Studies / Biology / Maths Ext 1 / Advanced English

HSC 2017 (Accelerated)
Mathematics

charlottemchenry

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #1249 on: October 02, 2018, 07:32:32 pm »
Hey,

In regards to 'evaluate' and 'assess' questions for Biology are we allowed to be half half...

Like for English and Legal, often I'll say "somewhat effectiveness" or "mostly effective" however when I've read aloud bio answers in class despite me giving both positive and negative things whenever I say "somewhat" my teacher says we have to choose one or the other.

I just wanted to check if this is actually the case or in the HSC can we be on the fence?

Thank you :)
HSC 2018 - Standard English [88] || Mathematics [89] || Biology [89] || Chemistry [83] || Legal Studies [92] || Studies of Religion 1 [45]

Atar:

UTS 2019 - Bachelor of Advanced Science (Infection and Immunity) and Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #1250 on: October 02, 2018, 08:15:54 pm »
+6
Hey,

In regards to 'evaluate' and 'assess' questions for Biology are we allowed to be half half...

Like for English and Legal, often I'll say "somewhat effectiveness" or "mostly effective" however when I've read aloud bio answers in class despite me giving both positive and negative things whenever I say "somewhat" my teacher says we have to choose one or the other.

I just wanted to check if this is actually the case or in the HSC can we be on the fence?

Thank you :)

Hi...

Let's take a look at the NESA definitions for each:

Evaluate: Make a judgement based on criteria; determine the value of.
Assess: Make a judgement of value, quality, outcomes, results or size.

So it is very clear that you need to make a judgement, and you techniquely have, by saying it is 'somewhat effective'. However, this choice of words can sometimes come across as too much like a discuss question, and you cannot really show a clear judgement and still sit at 50/50. Thus, it is always best to pick one side. You can still show in minor ways how they are / aren't effective (this shows you have thought about your response), but really emphasise which side you are taking - especially at the start and end of your answer.

Hope this helps.  :)

2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

charlottemchenry

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #1251 on: October 02, 2018, 10:13:02 pm »
Hi...

Let's take a look at the NESA definitions for each:

Evaluate: Make a judgement based on criteria; determine the value of.
Assess: Make a judgement of value, quality, outcomes, results or size.

So it is very clear that you need to make a judgement, and you techniquely have, by saying it is 'somewhat effective'. However, this choice of words can sometimes come across as too much like a discuss question, and you cannot really show a clear judgement and still sit at 50/50. Thus, it is always best to pick one side. You can still show in minor ways how they are / aren't effective (this shows you have thought about your response), but really emphasise which side you are taking - especially at the start and end of your answer.

Hope this helps.  :)

Thanks so much that makes sense :)
HSC 2018 - Standard English [88] || Mathematics [89] || Biology [89] || Chemistry [83] || Legal Studies [92] || Studies of Religion 1 [45]

Atar:

UTS 2019 - Bachelor of Advanced Science (Infection and Immunity) and Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation

edumax

• Adventurer
« Reply #1252 on: October 05, 2018, 11:43:13 am »
HOW THE HECK DO YOU STUDY EFFECTIVELY FOR BIO???
It's too overwhelming to know where to start  :-[

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #1253 on: October 05, 2018, 01:55:53 pm »
HOW THE HECK DO YOU STUDY EFFECTIVELY FOR BIO???
It's too overwhelming to know where to start  :-[

I did A4 sheets for each topic and did a mind map of key points, using my textbook and notes and the study design. I think it sort of helps to organise the big jumble of information.
Also, do practice exams and then you can identify areas where you need to focus more on.
Hope this helps ;D

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 01:58:57 pm by Owlbird83 »
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #1254 on: October 06, 2018, 01:20:54 am »
Hi there!
Just had a quick question regarding the Biotechnology Syllabus - for the following dot points do we only choose one of the suggested or was it providing an example for EACH of the ones they've listed? (bit of a stupid question, but the wording of the dot point just hit me hard haha)
•   describe one example from the following applications of aquaculture:
ー   production of a pharmaceutical from algae
ー   farming of a marine animal
•   describe one example from the following applications of animal or plant biotechnology:
ー   production of monoclonal antibodies
ー   recombinant vaccines to combat virulent animal diseases
•   describe one example from the following applications of biotechnology in medicine:
ー   tissue engineering using skin transplantation as an example
ー   gene delivery by nasal sprays
ー   production of a synthetic hormone, such as insulin

Thank you in advance :) !

I don't do biotech, but maybe look through all the past papers for biology up till 2001, and see if they've ever specified one of those and generally ask for an example
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

amelia20181

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1255 on: October 06, 2018, 09:29:42 pm »
When blood pressure drops, the body responds by:
A) releasing ADH to increase reabsorption of water
B) releasing ADH to increase uptake of salts
C) releasing aldosterone to increase reabsorption of water
D) releasing aldosterone to increase uptake of salts

Why is the answer for this question A and not d

amelia20181

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1256 on: October 06, 2018, 09:35:21 pm »
This isn’t  from a past paper

terassy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1257 on: October 06, 2018, 10:43:56 pm »
When blood pressure drops, the body responds by:
A) releasing ADH to increase reabsorption of water
B) releasing ADH to increase uptake of salts
C) releasing aldosterone to increase reabsorption of water
D) releasing aldosterone to increase uptake of salts

Why is the answer for this question A and not d

Can't be B or C. So either A or D, since it's talking about blood pressure the answer should be D.

Mate2425

• Trendsetter
  • "A rolling stone, gathers no moss!"
« Reply #1258 on: October 08, 2018, 03:54:30 pm »

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #1259 on: October 09, 2018, 07:14:45 pm »
Hii, I was wondering if someone could clarify this Genetics for point as I find it really confusing: ‘Explain how the use of recombinant DNA technology can identify the position of a gene on a chromosome.’

My understanding is this:
1. A restriction enzyme is used to cut a section of DNA
2. The fragments are placed on gel where electrical impulses cause fragments to separate by size (gel electrophoresis).
3. The fragments are then stained by fluorescent dye which glows, and cut again.
4. A radioactive probe (single stranded sequence of DNA that is complementary to the gene) is are tagged with radioactive marker, and attached to complementary gene and inserted into human chromosome.
5. When a light is shone, the probe glows showing the location of the gene.

That’s what I recall from reading notes, however I don’t understand how the process (if that’s even correct) is recombinant DNA technology or why original DNA is cut up TWICE and probe isn’t just added in initially ugh smh.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :((.
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20