Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 04:13:33 pm

Author Topic: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread  (Read 277825 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #810 on: June 23, 2018, 05:42:37 pm »
+1
Hey Everyone

I just have a quick question that i'm curious about. When people who have already done SOR 2 and received top marks on their HSC talk about their depth study(s), they really have a depth of knowledge and understanding of the content and really, the 'big picture' of the religion. I personally find this very challenging and believe this is the barrier between me and probably others to achieving a band 6. Just wondering is there any tips or tricks to having this depth of knowlege? And am i correct in saying by doing this you can reach high bands, or is there more to it?

Thanks

Hey! I think the key to getting a high band in SOR (or any course) is knowing the content related to the syllabus in a lot of depth, and being able to link it all together in clever arguments that suit the questions directed at you. If the content is outside the syllabus it isn't relevant to you!! But like, having that big picture can help you tie it all together more easily, which can make your essays better, if that makes sense.

I think a big part of making those links is understanding the beliefs. A lot of the Year 12 stuff comes from that - For example, a lot of analysis of significant practice makes more sense when you realise every aspect of it is representative of a key belief in some way, shape or form ;D

mariamboumansour

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #811 on: July 12, 2018, 11:48:46 am »
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any HSC notes on Christian fem theology??

vic321

• Trailblazer
« Reply #812 on: July 17, 2018, 09:34:15 pm »
Hi,

I need some help with this multiple choice question.

Ceremonies are a very important part of Aboriginal culture.
What are they derived from?
(a) Sacred traditions about initiation
(b) Dreaming spirits within sacred songs
(c) The conservation and renewal of life through initiation
(d) Dreaming and its life giving powers

Thanks!!!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #813 on: July 17, 2018, 10:55:16 pm »
+2
Hi,

I need some help with this multiple choice question.

Ceremonies are a very important part of Aboriginal culture.
What are they derived from?
(a) Sacred traditions about initiation
(b) Dreaming spirits within sacred songs
(c) The conservation and renewal of life through initiation
(d) Dreaming and its life giving powers

Thanks!!!

Hey! I'd say D for this one as the dreaming is the foundation of Aboriginal spirituality and tradition, but would love a second opinion :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

henrychapman

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #814 on: July 17, 2018, 11:48:16 pm »
How would I approach this and what should my thesis be and why

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is a right and it is a duty.” - Oscar Romero
Evaluate this quote in light of the teachings on peace of TWO religious traditions.

I think what you would do is link this quote to the principal teachings about peace in your two religious traditions. For example, a key idea in this quote is about non-pacifism and that is a crucial aspect of the Christian understanding of peace and more explicitly, in its teaching of Building God's Kingdom.
I think you should give two paragraphs on each religious tradition, one teaching per paragraph. Include quotes from scripture that relate to this statement. Then you're g to go!
HSC 2018
English Advanced: 90
Economics: 92
Legal Studies: 92
Modern History: 91
Studies of Religion II: 88
History Extension: 41
ATAR: 96.60

2019: B. Commerce/Laws @ UNSW
I offer tutoring in those top 4 subjects above, at a very reasonable price. Have numerous resources as well. Send me a message for more info :)

vic321

• Trailblazer
« Reply #815 on: July 20, 2018, 10:39:20 pm »
Hi,

So in the lecture Elyse mentioned moieties, totems and skin names. What's an example of a question that we would be asked to give details about these since moieties aren't technically part of the syllabus?

Thanks! :)

eliseeeeee_m

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #816 on: July 21, 2018, 12:08:33 am »
I assume you would use it as an example for questions regarding the significance of kinship groups for Aboriginal spirituality, as it provides more detail than generic answers.

:)
HSC 2018: Advanced English // Extension English I // Modern History // Legal Studies // Drama // Studies of Religion I

Brun

• Adventurer
« Reply #817 on: July 21, 2018, 03:56:16 pm »
+1
Moieties, totems, etc are good to add to you answer as examples of traditional Aboriginal culture and kinship groups (how moieties define the responsibilities and rights of ATSI people), and the deep, inextricable connection to land (totems represent animals that an ATSI person is given at birth).

vic321

• Trailblazer
« Reply #818 on: July 22, 2018, 01:07:54 pm »
I assume you would use it as an example for questions regarding the significance of kinship groups for Aboriginal spirituality, as it provides more detail than generic answers.

:)

Thanks so much!

Moieties, totems, etc are good to add to you answer as examples of traditional Aboriginal culture and kinship groups (how moieties define the responsibilities and rights of ATSI people), and the deep, inextricable connection to land (totems represent animals that an ATSI person is given at birth).

Ok cool! thanks
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 04:48:49 pm by jamonwindeyer »

Thomasaa

• Adventurer
« Reply #819 on: July 31, 2018, 11:57:20 pm »
Hey everyone,

For the Post 1945 topic, if you get a question asking about 'account for the present religious landscape in Australia', could you talk about one aspect but go into depth eg. Increasing secularism or would you have to talk about all five aspects briefly?

Brun

• Adventurer
« Reply #820 on: August 02, 2018, 10:20:38 pm »
Hey everyone,

For the Post 1945 topic, if you get a question asking about 'account for the present religious landscape in Australia', could you talk about one aspect but go into depth eg. Increasing secularism or would you have to talk about all five aspects briefly?

I think it would be better to talk about various aspects rather than just one, as it better shows your understanding of the whole religious landscape. I'd say talk about at least 3 aspects with adequate detail. Depending on the number of marks for the Q, you might be able to fit in all 5 but you might have to sacrifice the level of detail.

vic321

• Trailblazer
« Reply #821 on: August 03, 2018, 11:37:37 pm »
Hey! I'd say D for this one as the dreaming is the foundation of Aboriginal spirituality and tradition, but would love a second opinion :)

Hey! yeh we marked it and the answer was D! so thanks :)

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #822 on: August 09, 2018, 05:52:37 pm »
Hey!

Does anyone have some quick tips on how to prepare for SOR?

I have my trial on Monday, yet my teacher has been away and hasn't properly taught anything the whole year so I am under a bit of time constraints to learn all the content? What do you think the best approach would be now, considering I also have another trial the day after SOR?

Thanks ;D
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

vic321

• Trailblazer
« Reply #823 on: August 09, 2018, 10:58:07 pm »
+1
Hey!

I have my trial on Monday, yet my teacher has been away and hasn't properly taught anything the whole year so I am under a bit of time constraints to learn all the content? What do you think the best approach would be now, considering I also have another trial the day after SOR?

Thanks ;D

Hi,

I reckon you should download some notes off the ATAR notes tab on here and have a read through them. Also, if your friends are nice enough, maybe they could lend you parts of their notes. Condense your summary points on flash cards or on a4 cardboard and stick them around your house and include sacred text quotes for your extended response.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #824 on: August 10, 2018, 07:09:49 am »
Hey!

Thanks ;D

And then just do a few practice papers from somewhere, check you can do the multiple choice! The 5 markers are especially predictable so doing a few papers will set you up there. Then yep, just learn your evidence for the short answer/extended response sections! If you wanted to learn a subject in a weekend, SOR is the one, there actually isn't a whole lot ;D