Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 31, 2020, 12:53:16 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 645418 times)

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • Trendsetter
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +38
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4620 on: May 19, 2020, 07:48:02 pm »
Hi, twelfholmes,

Personally, I think that it would be beneficial for you to understand how to write an informative as it is important that trial/mock exams are not necessarily a reflection of the actual exam. Every year, the exams would change in one way or another, even if the questions look fairly similar! What I'm trying to say is that you should not depend entirely on the format of exams from previous years as you may never know if there's going to be a "curveball" question on your exam --> it's all based on chance which is why I would recommend that you should prepare for as many scenarios as possible! Extend yourself by venturing Into the Unknown (yes, I know, it's a Frozen II joke) as you may never know the "real" structure of the exam until the day.

Hopefully, that helps :)

Have a great week and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Leader
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +751
« Reply #4621 on: May 19, 2020, 08:00:37 pm »
+2
hey!
quick question, for module C do we have to understand how to write an informative??
I think from what I've seen there will be no questions in the exam on it, so before I go ahead and not practice it ( ;) ) I wanted to make sure that was the right thing to do.
thanks in advance!

Hey, twelfholmes!

I actually disagree to an extent with what Darcy's raised because I highly doubt NESA would specify you needing to write an informative response for Module C. The reason why the wording of the questions are usually "imaginative, discursive, persuasive OR informative" is because it provides you with options to work with. The likelihood of NESA asking for an informative, or any of the other forms specifically, is very slim.

That being said, I definitely agree that you should be prepared for the possibility anyway. When it comes to Module C, I always encourage working smarter and not harder. If you have, for example, a creative that is set in 1950's America, you could prepare ideas for an informative response on the Civil Rights Movement. If you have, as another example, a discursive on the impact of social media on women's body image, you could write an informative response on what body image is and how it has grown as a concept over time. By using the research that you conducted for your other forms of writing, you can save time on having to think of an informative response on the spot and can draw from what you are already familiar with.

As for just a side note, the structure of Module C can either be a full original response or an original response with a reflection. The weighting of each section will determine how much you should write but for a 20 mark question in Module C with 40 minutes to spend on it, I would aim for somewhere between 800-1100 words. Prepare yourself to approach either of these possibilities  :D Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • Trendsetter
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #4622 on: May 19, 2020, 08:11:08 pm »
+1
Hi, angewina_naguen,

I'm really sorry - I'm a QCE student so I don't really know much about the HSC curriculum! However, I was just trying to give my advice of what I would do in this situation so hopefully, it does help to an extent but thanks so much for contributing to this question as I'm sure your response would be more in-depth and more related to the HSC curriculum than mine oops.

Hopefully, that clears my opinion up a bit.

Darcy Dillon.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Leader
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +751
« Reply #4623 on: May 19, 2020, 11:25:39 pm »
Hi, angewina_naguen,

I'm really sorry - I'm a QCE student so I don't really know much about the HSC curriculum! However, I was just trying to give my advice of what I would do in this situation so hopefully, it does help to an extent but thanks so much for contributing to this question as I'm sure your response would be more in-depth and more related to the HSC curriculum than mine oops.

Hopefully, that clears my opinion up a bit.

Darcy Dillon.

Hey!

Not a problem at all! All advice is welcomed here on the forums regardless what syllabus you are doing and what level of experience you have. That's the beauty of such a cooperative space like this!

If you're ever unsure, you can always just write at the end of your suggestions "I'm not a HSC/VCE student but hopefully that helps and someone who is more familiar with your situation can provide some further clarity!" The more help someone gets, the better! 

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music