Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 02, 2024, 05:17:13 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1241761 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #1665 on: March 24, 2017, 08:33:28 pm »
That must be a common question or something. My half yearly Mod A essay question is "How does a study of Looking for Richard contribute to our understanding of authority in King Richard III?

I would talk about the parallels you can draw that relate to authority. In my essay I wrote about Power and Conscience. Talk about how Richard resembles a machiavelli villain or his duplicity nature. You can also explore how Power has changed over time. How a postmodern interpretation of power is different to the Elizabethan Era's interpretation. How Pacino shows us today's interpretation of power or something similar.

Just a few ideas I incorporated into my essay :)

Goodluck fellow student~!

Thanks for sharing your help Wales! When you get your results, please let me know how you go! I'm really interested in your idea about the interpretation of power.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

SRH923

« Reply #1666 on: March 24, 2017, 09:00:46 pm »
How many quotes/examples would u guys recommend for the AOS essay and in how much detail should u describe/analyse them?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1667 on: March 24, 2017, 09:43:52 pm »
How many quotes/examples would u guys recommend for the AOS essay and in how much detail should u describe/analyse them?

Hey! So there isn't a hard and fast rule here - The less quotes you have, the more analysis you would need to do with them! But that said, I don't think it would be possible to score the 15/15 (which is what we are aiming for!) without a solid three quotes per paragraph, and that's with a really good bit of technique and effect analysis to match it. From memory I aimed for about 5 quotes per paragraph, each with techniques and solid analysis! :) but there are many ways to get the marks ;D

mrjnrox12

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1668 on: March 24, 2017, 10:24:05 pm »
Hey!
I am currently writing a narrative for my english exam coming up and i want to describe someone who is making a very hard decision. Like choosing what course he wants to do and i am stuck on how to do it in a way that is "showing not telling".
If you could please help out it would be greatly appreciated

Thank you!! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1669 on: March 24, 2017, 10:28:19 pm »
Hey!
I am currently writing a narrative for my english exam coming up and i want to describe someone who is making a very hard decision. Like choosing what course he wants to do and i am stuck on how to do it in a way that is "showing not telling".
If you could please help out it would be greatly appreciated

Thank you!! :)

Hey!! Welcome to the forums! Cool story idea - You should give Elyse's ultimate creative writing guide a read. It covers a few things that could be helpful for you (there's a whole section on showing vs telling) ;D

Kle123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1670 on: March 25, 2017, 07:52:53 am »
What are the basics of a speech? (Structure and verbal techniques to include)

Also this is my speech focus,
How important are the rights of the individual verses the state? This is for Mod A's 1984 and Metropolis. Probably most haven't done these texts, so any ideas related to the real life would also be of great help. Thank youuu

K9810

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1671 on: March 25, 2017, 10:41:21 am »
Hey,

Was wandering if I used a stimulus for creative writing literally, can I get marked down for it?

Thebarman

• Trendsetter
  • Gone fishing
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1672 on: March 25, 2017, 11:13:48 am »
Hey guys,

what would be a technique for this scene, specifically when the main character says "A climactic battle to kill the false being within?"
I've used omniscient narration for another scene in this movie already, but I'm not sure what other techniques are present here.
Thank you!
“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!”
2017 HSC: Advance English, Mathematics, SORII, Biology, Business Studies, Modern History.
Atar: 92.05

Dylpickle01

• Adventurer
  • The biggest mistake is thinking you won't make any
« Reply #1673 on: March 26, 2017, 03:17:38 pm »
Hey,

Was wandering if I used a stimulus for creative writing literally, can I get marked down for it?

Hey, just another member here but I think I can help you out with that.

Now, you won't get 'marked down' for it, but you probably won't be able to access those higher marks if you take it literally. One of the key parts of the Creative Writing Criteria that is effectively the same every year states:
"Candidates need to improve in these areas:
- avoiding clichéd and predictable plots
- writing in a controlled and sustained manner
- moving beyond the literal interpretation of the stimulus
- dealing with the concept throughout the response, rather than referring to it at the end. "

This also reflects the criteria's demand for "skillful control that imaginatively uses the stimulus in both a literal and/or metaphorical manner"

Hope this helps ^.^
HSC 2017:
English Advanced, Mathematics, Modern History, History Extension, Chemistry, Physics

Dylpickle01

• Adventurer
« Reply #1674 on: March 26, 2017, 03:23:07 pm »
Whilst I'm here, I might as well ask a question  ;D

I have a short answer exam coming up, what are some tips that you guys have for approaching this part of the course? Are there any methods of tackling it that i should be addressing?
I would love to hear a few ideas ^.^

Thanks  ;)
HSC 2017:
English Advanced, Mathematics, Modern History, History Extension, Chemistry, Physics

K9810

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1675 on: March 26, 2017, 05:48:04 pm »
Hey, just another member here but I think I can help you out with that.

Now, you won't get 'marked down' for it, but you probably won't be able to access those higher marks if you take it literally. One of the key parts of the Creative Writing Criteria that is effectively the same every year states:
"Candidates need to improve in these areas:
- avoiding clichéd and predictable plots
- writing in a controlled and sustained manner
- moving beyond the literal interpretation of the stimulus
- dealing with the concept throughout the response, rather than referring to it at the end. "

This also reflects the criteria's demand for "skillful control that imaginatively uses the stimulus in both a literal and/or metaphorical manner"

Hope this helps ^.^

THANK YOUUU

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1676 on: March 27, 2017, 01:31:37 pm »
What are the basics of a speech? (Structure and verbal techniques to include)

Hey! Speeches are much the same as essays - Just with more colloquial language. The structure is also much less rigid (you can discuss more than 3 main ideas, for instance) - And of course you'd be using rhetorical techniques! ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1677 on: March 27, 2017, 01:38:11 pm »
Whilst I'm here, I might as well ask a question  ;D

I have a short answer exam coming up, what are some tips that you guys have for approaching this part of the course? Are there any methods of tackling it that i should be addressing?
I would love to hear a few ideas ^.^

Thanks  ;)

- Respond properly to the verb (make sure to not write too much for the first questions at the expense of the last one)
- Quotes, quotes, quotes, make sure you've got specific reference to the text with TECHNIQUES for each of them
- Identify the Discovery concept as soon as possible and have it clear in your mind before you put a pen to paper ;D

Dylpickle01

• Adventurer
« Reply #1678 on: March 27, 2017, 05:00:43 pm »
- Respond properly to the verb (make sure to not write too much for the first questions at the expense of the last one)
- Quotes, quotes, quotes, make sure you've got specific reference to the text with TECHNIQUES for each of them
- Identify the Discovery concept as soon as possible and have it clear in your mind before you put a pen to paper ;D

Thanks Jamon, I really appreciate it! Now to do a few practices with that in mind  ;D
HSC 2017:

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #1679 on: March 28, 2017, 02:29:32 pm »
Hi! Just wondering if you could help me with finding a technique in this quote: “Her father would have thrown him out”. I'm using Tim Winton's 'Distant Lands' as my additional for discovery and the question is about how the text enriches the audience's understanding about discovery being confronting and provocative. I want to use this quote to show that she's aware of her father's prejudice but is now reassessing the views that she's been surrounded by in her environment. Do you think that this would work? Thank you  :)
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2