Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:30:49 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 350539 times)  Share 

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
Re: HSC Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #1095 on: March 01, 2018, 09:32:41 pm »
+2
Hello,
I'm trying to write an essay about the Weimar Republic, but am struggling to find information and articulate what I know.
The essay question is:

"To what extent was the Great Depression responsible for the collapse of the Weimar Republic?"

Thanks for any help!
Hey,
Firstly, this question requires a judgement that should be made clear in your firs few lines, and should be well sustained throughout your response - how much do you feel the GD was responsible for the collapse of the WR? Use words of modality such as significantly, moderately, to a limited extent.
For your points, I would do something along the lines of:
 - The economic situation is without a doubt going to be involved - the economy of the country plunging into recession, worldwide trade seriously taking a hit, other countries ceasing their investment in Germany, ruined Germany's capacity to pay reparation payments etc etc. You DO NOT and will not have enough room to mention everything here, as you will need to include stats/facts/dates, as well as linking it to your judgement/the question.
 - Social, unemployment skyrocketed (6 million in 1932 I think? Could possibly be wrong). This lead to public uncertainty regarding the government that was ruling the nation. The public basically decided that the central/moderate parties weren't doing anything, and started to invest interest in radical/extreme groups (enter Nazi party). Social dissatisfaction = BAD popularity for the WR = Impact of the GD
 - Political. This is kinda obvious, but basically the government was seen as incompetent with dealing with the GD. The WR was falling apart and Hitler had the tremendous ability to seize the situation at a detriment to the current government, and make something out of it that gave people hope, something they did not see in the WR.

Once again, you do not have to use everything here. Pick the events/concepts you understand, find some facts/stats/dates to reinforce, make it flow, REMEMBER your judgement, and suddenly, you have yourself an essay :)

Hope this helps  ;D

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1096 on: March 01, 2018, 09:38:42 pm »
+2
Thank you sooo much for the help, means soo much!

No worries, it was mine (and prickles') pleasure! We're always here to help on AN. :-)

Hello,
I'm trying to write an essay about the Weimar Republic, but am struggling to find information and articulate what I know.
The essay question is:

"To what extent was the Great Depression responsible for the collapse of the Weimar Republic?"

Thanks for any help!

Since prickles posted before me (you're on fire on the Modern boards!), here's a little more...

Hi lachlang15, welcome to the forums!

Firstly, how are you going with your notes? Have you been keeping them up to date? By having an organised set of notes, it'll be a lot easier to formulate an essay response, because you have all your information in front of you! In terms of articulating information, having a basic essay structure that you can follow is good. Here's a very basic one, following the question you've asked for assistance on:

Paragraph 1: Introduction // here's where you state your argument in relation to the question, and outline what you're going to talk about in your essay. In relation to your question, this could be "The Great Depression was solely responsible for the collapse of the Weimar Republic" (not true, but just an example of a thesis statement). You then introduce the rest of the points you're going to make. This could be something like, "While the Great Depression had a significant impact on the collapse of the WR, there were other factors involved, including... (insert factors here). Writing the factors sets you up for the rest of your essay!

Body paragraphs: I'm just going to generalise the whole thing, but your first sentence - your topic sentence - should be something relating to the question. E.g. "The Great Depression was largely responsible for the collapse of the WR, as it... (blah blah you have to expand!) You can talk about how the GD impacted on Germany, how any foreign loans had to be stopped because everyone's economy was in the pits, etc. Other points you could talk about in separate paragraphs could be the Treaty of Versailles and any political reasons that may have contributed to the collapse of the WR, such as constantly changing leaders, opponents, Article 48. Pretty much everything you've learnt about the WR in class should be applicable.

Conclusion: Sum up your whole essay! Pretty much your whole introduction backwards.

Also, because this is a "to what extent" question, you'll need to argue the extent to which the GD impacted on the collapse of the WR. Was it a lot, or not so much? There's a few answers above in this thread that might help you with this question, as they're about the WR - just with a different focus in the question.

Hope this helps, and all the best with your essay!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #1097 on: March 01, 2018, 09:50:04 pm »
+3
Hello,
The essay question is:

Thanks for any help!
Hey! Welcome to the forums!  :)
So to answer this question:
this is a "to what extent" question. It's all about arguing a viewpoint: How much of an impact did the great depression have on the collapse of the WR? You would argue your belief through the points you argue
Some pointers:
-Germany relied heavily on America (through the Dawes plan) to pay off their "bills" laid out in the treaty of versailles. The great depression caused the loss of American assistance, thus Germany suffered greatly
-there were large levels of unemployment in the WR (unemployment rate rose by 3.4 million in 1933 compared to 1928 when it was only 1.4 million.)
-the great depression was a final straw in the instability of the WR. It was already suffering greatly due to instability, the rise of Hitler, people blaming it for Germany's problems. So it was in a very precarious position. The economic depression was the big event that finally pushed it over the edge

Anyway, good luck!
Hope this helps!

EDIT: Didn't realize Fantasticbeasts3 and prickles had already posted when i put this up, but i'll just leave it here as an extra point of reference!  :)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

fatima_t

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1098 on: March 02, 2018, 07:47:18 pm »
Hey I have an assignment and the essay question (25 marks) is throwing me off in the sense that I do not know how to answer it. The question is "How successful were the governments of the Weimar Republic in solving the political, social and economic problems to 1929?". The 'governments' part is throwing me off because I do not know if it means the political parties or the actual government.

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1099 on: March 02, 2018, 08:02:54 pm »
+2
Hey, I have an assignment and the essay question (25 marks) is throwing me off in the sense that I do not know how to answer it. The question is "How successful were the governments of the Weimar Republic in solving the political, social and economic problems of 1929?". The 'governments' part is throwing me off because I do not know if it means the political parties or the actual government.
I believe that since it is plural (governmentS) it is referring to the successive governments during the Weimar era. The political parties in power during each government aren't really mentioned a lot, but the governments as a whole as well as the chancellors are mentioned more
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1100 on: March 02, 2018, 08:05:05 pm »
+2
I believe that since it is plural (governmentS) it is referring to the successive governments during the Weimar era. The political parties in power during each government aren't really mentioned a lot, but the governments as a whole as well as the chancellors are mentioned more

Just seconding what Mada438 has said here! It's the Weimar Republic as a whole, i.e. the many governments under the many leaders that changed.

All the best with your essay!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #1101 on: March 02, 2018, 08:05:32 pm »
+2
Hey I have an assignment and the essay question (25 marks) is throwing me off in the sense that I do not know how to answer it. The question is "How successful were the governments of the Weimar Republic in solving the political, social and economic problems to 1929?". The 'governments' part is throwing me off because I do not know if it means the political parties or the actual government.

Hey just to add to Mada438's explanation, this requires you to look at how each Government within the Weimar Republic solved issues - so how the Republic did under the Ebert govt, stresseman govt, Hindenburg govt etc
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1102 on: March 02, 2018, 08:16:26 pm »
+3
Hey, I have an assignment and the essay question (25 marks) is throwing me off in the sense that I do not know how to answer it. The question is "How successful were the governments of the Weimar Republic in solving the political, social and economic problems of 1929?". The 'governments' part is throwing me off because I do not know if it means the political parties or the actual government.
Just to build on this
Your 3 main body paragraphs will probably come under "political, social and economic" (at least that's how i would interpret it). Within these paragraphs, you could divide them into analyzing in depth (if you can find enough information) how a handful of the governments (as dancing phalanges suggested e.g. the Ebert govt, Stresemann govt, Hindenburg govt etc) solved these issues.
By doing this, you provide more sides to your argument when assessing the question. The question is asking "How successful" which sounds like an evaluate question where you make a judgment based on criteria. Your criteria would be the handful of governments and their methods of solving political, social and economic problems.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, it's just a suggestion i literally thought of just then.
Good luck!

joemassoud

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1103 on: March 04, 2018, 03:04:55 pm »
+1
Hey Guys, if anyone can have a read of my response that would be awesome!

TO WHAT EXTENT DID THE TREATY OF VERSAILLES HAVE THE GREATEST IMPACT ON THE DOWNFALL OF THE WEIMAR REPUBLIC?

INTRODUCTION:
To a great extent the Treaty of Versailles (TOV) had the utmost influence on the collapse of the Weimar Republic because it formed a sense of a distrust between the German government and people as a result of a home-grown product as supported by Nicholls who exerted that the damaged did to Germany was to disillusion more moderate man who might otherwise support their new republic. As a result of the Treaty of Versailles Germany lost all of her colonies, 80% of her pre-war fleet, half of all iron production, 16% of all coal production, 13% of her territory and 12% of her population and gained a £6,600 million reparation debt. Therefore, it is apparent that the Treaty of Versailles had the largest impact on the failure of the Weimar Republic through its significant political, social, economic impacts.

ECONOMIC IMPACTS:
The immediate economic consequences of the terms of the TOV were a significant concern and added to Germany’s humiliation. During the first five years of the Weimar Republic, inflation was the main economic issue, which was fuelled huge burden placed on Germany from national debt from WW1 and the huge sum of reparations. Germany had to borrow funds in an effort to get their economy up and running. However, an inexperienced government made paying back reparations and War Bonds their priority instead of stimulating the economy. Due to this poor decision, the economy and production struggled to grow and inflation began to increase. Under the terms of the treaty, Germany had to pay huge sums in reparations. In 1921, this amount was set at £6.6 billion; a sum that Germany could not pay. In 1922 Germany announce they can no longer afford Reparations payments. As a result, France and Belgian sent thousands of soldiers into the Ruhr, seizing control of coal mines, factories and the railways to make up for the unpaid reparations. Subsequently, to show the people of Germany that the government would stand up for its people against the French occupation, the Weimar government supported ‘passive resistance’ by simply printing more money. This put more money into the circulation and soon all public servants throughout Germany were given pay rises in the hope of increasing employment and production. However, the printing of more money simply increased inflation. With few goods for sale, but so much money in the country, prices rose drastically. The government continued to print more and more money as prices continue to rise at an incredible rate. By 1923, the economic problems of the Republic escalated to the point of hyperinflation by which the German Mark had been rendered worthless. Thus, it is clear that the TOV had the greatest influence on the downfall of the Weimar Republic through the economic effects it had on Weimar Germany.

SOCIAL IMPACTS:
Throughout WW1, the German people were misled to believe that they were going to win the war and that there was no possibility they could lose. However, when the armistice was signed by the German government, the loss came as an extreme shock. The German people felt betrayed that their government hadn't told them the truth and, so before the Weimar Republic even came to be, the citizens were unsatisfied with their government. Furthermore, the German public could not comprehend that they had lost the war and therefore felt that someone on the homefront was responsible. The imposition of the Treaty of Versailles led to wide bitterness across Germany. This was the most influential on the moderate Germans who initially supported the new democratic republic but then became disillusioned with the whole process. The link between the devastating end of the war and the humiliating peace left negative attitudes towards the new German democracy. This is further exerted by Nicholls who suggested that the German public felt that the end of the war and the subsequent Treaty of Versailles was a ‘stab in the back’ from the German politicians. This theory grew in popularity as the economy suffered and many former soldiers, in particular, believed that the politicians had lost the war rather than the army. This, amongst other things, led to a growth in the number of people who distrusted the Weimar Republic and were unwilling to support it. Furthermore, the Treaty of Versailles impacted the German people's nationalism, as it restricted their army to 100,000 men, their navy to 6 battleships, and denied them an airforce and submarines. Consequently, the Treaty of Versailles had reduced the faith of German people in their ruler and impacted the people’s nationalism, which ultimately largely contributed to the downfall of the Weimar Republic.

Political Impacts: I need help writing this paragraph if someone could suggest some ways writing it that would be awesome!

Conclusion:
All in all, the Treaty of Versailles had the greatest effect on the failure of the Weimar Republic as it fabricated a sense of disbelief among the German government and people, it caused several economic problems such as hyperinflation and also largely led to political and social instability. Considering this, it is without a doubt the treaty of Versailles had the largest influence on the downfall of the Weimar Republic.

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #1104 on: March 04, 2018, 04:00:14 pm »
+3
Hey Guys, if anyone can have a read of my response that would be awesome!

TO WHAT EXTENT DID THE TREATY OF VERSAILLES HAVE THE GREATEST IMPACT ON THE DOWNFALL OF THE WEIMAR REPUBLIC?

INTRODUCTION:
To a great extent the Treaty of Versailles (TOV) had the utmost influence on the collapse of the Weimar Republic because it formed a sense of a distrust between the German government and people as a result of a home-grown product as supported by Nicholls who exerted that the damaged did to Germany was to disillusion more moderate man who might otherwise support their new republic. Your thesis is long and confusing. Finish at the part I have left and it will be fine :) As a result of the Treaty of Versailles Germany lost all of her colonies, 80% of her pre-war fleet, half of all iron production, 16% of all coal production, 13% of her territory and 12% of her population and gained a £6,600 million reparation debt. Therefore, it is apparent that the Treaty of Versailles had the largest impact on the failure of the Weimar Republic through its significant political, social, economic impacts. The sentence regarding what was lost in the TOV (percentage wise) is not needed here and should come up in your body paragraphs as examples. The link between that sentence and your last sentence is also very weak as a result. Your introduction gives me no clear idea of where your essay is going as it doesn't specifically highlight any main points you will address.

ECONOMIC IMPACTS:
The immediate economic consequences of the terms of the TOV were a significant concern and added to Germany’s humiliation. During the first five years of the Weimar Republic, inflation was the main economic issue, which was fuelled huge burden placed on GermanyFollowing the comma, this doesn't make sense. from national debt from WW1 and the huge sum of reparations. Germany had to borrow funds in an effort to get their economy up and running. However, an inexperienced government made paying back reparations and War Bonds their priority instead of stimulating the economy. Due to this poor decision, the economy and production struggled to grow and inflation began to increase. Under the terms of the treaty, Germany had to pay huge sums in reparations. In 1921, this amount was set at £6.6 billion; a sum that Germany could not pay. In 1922 Germany announce they can no longer afford Reparations payments. As a result, France and Belgian sent thousands of soldiers into the Ruhr, seizing control of coal mines, factories and the railways to make up for the unpaid reparations. Subsequently, to show the people of Germany that the government would stand up for its people against the French occupation, the Weimar government supported ‘passive resistance’ by simply printing more money. This put more money into the circulation and soon all public servants throughout Germany were given pay rises in the hope of increasing employment and production. However, the printing of more money simply increased inflation. With few goods for sale, but so much money in the country, prices rose drastically. The government continued to print more and more money as prices continue to rise at an incredible rate. By 1923, the economic problems of the Republic escalated to the point of hyperinflation by which the German Mark had been rendered worthless. Thus, it is clear that the TOV had the greatest influence on the downfall of the Weimar Republic through the economic effects it had on Weimar Germany. This whole paragraph has too great a focus on telling what happened in Germany to make it economically unstable, you have not linked these issues to the W.R downfall but rather have just proved that the economic issues in themselves were bad. Look to link the economic problems to the rise of Hitler/the Nazis and how his nationalistic approach appealed to the German public, who were desperate due to the economic poverty at the time and how the Republic in contrast were branded with being the reason for all of Germany's economic woes.

SOCIAL IMPACTS:
Throughout WW1, the German people were misled to believe that they were going to win the war and that there was no possibility they could lose. However, when the armistice was signed by the German government, the loss came as an extreme shock. The German people felt betrayed that their government hadn't told them the truth and, so before the Weimar Republic even came to be, the citizens were unsatisfied with their government. Furthermore, the German public could not comprehend that they had lost the war and therefore felt that someone on the homefront was responsible. The imposition of the Treaty of Versailles led to wide bitterness across Germany. This was the most influential on the moderate Germans who initially supported the new democratic republic but then became disillusioned with the whole process. The link between the devastating end of the war and the humiliating peace left negative attitudes towards the new German democracy. This is further exerted by Nicholls who suggested that the German public felt that the end of the war and the subsequent Treaty of Versailles was a ‘stab in the back’ from the German politicians. This theory grew in popularity as the economy suffered and many former soldiers, in particular, believed that the politicians had lost the war rather than the army. This, amongst other things,A bit vague. led to a growth in the number of people who distrusted the Weimar Republic and were unwilling to support it. Furthermore, the Treaty of Versailles impacted the German people's nationalism, as it restricted their army to 100,000 men, their navy to 6 battleships, and denied them an airforce and submarines. Explain further eg. linking Germany's proud military history and how this was linked to nationalism. Make it more clear. Consequently, the Treaty of Versailles had reduced the faith of German people in their ruler and impacted the people’s nationalism, which ultimately largely contributed to the downfall of the Weimar Republic.This is a better job at linking the issues of the TOV to the downfall of the Republic yet it is still not quite there. I would look at again how Hitler took advantage of this social disillusion to link more clearly to the fall of the W.R - so look at egs. of Hitler doing this such as: Hitler Munich Speech – “with this armistice begins the humiliation of Germany…it will ruin the German nation.”

Political Impacts: I need help writing this paragraph if someone could suggest some ways writing it that would be awesome!
Here I would discuss political illegitimacy - so the ideas you have brought up eg. the economic issues how the TOV led to hyperinflation, the depression etc. in the long term and also how the TOV ruined German pride - this all combined to make the German government appear weak and as contrary to German ideals - this in turn affected the way they were seen by the public and would lead many people to turn to nationalistic parties instead, leading to their demise.

Conclusion:
All in all, the Treaty of Versailles had the greatest effect on the failure of the Weimar Republic as it fabricated a sense of disbelief among the German government and people, it caused several economic problems such as hyperinflation and also largely led to political and social instability. Considering this, it is without a doubt the treaty of Versailles had the largest influence on the downfall of the Weimar Republic.
A nice conclusion but needs to be longer and a stronger link between the TOV and downfall of WR, which will come with addressing the issues I explained above. Also since it is a to what extent question, you can also show how other factors eg. Proportional Representation etc. contributed to their downfall.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 04:18:22 pm by dancing phalanges »
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #1105 on: March 04, 2018, 04:11:45 pm »
+3

Hey there,
dancing phalanges had some great suggestions for your essay so this is just an extension on their ideas- I'm also studying Weimar Germany at the moment so this is me suggesting ideas and solidifying my knowledge (works in a two-way street :D)

For political impacts, I would suggest talking about the flaws of the Weimar constitution, especially proportional representation since this led to a number of coalitions- from my memory, pretty sure all of the governments from 1919-23 are coalitions. This makes the government unstable because you can't reach a majority with a large number of small parties.

That being said, I would suggest placing political impacts as your first body paragraph. Since politics can impact the rest of society, you could show the cause of the ToV on political instability, and as an extension of this cause, show indirect links between ToV and the economic/social aspects- this can make your essay flow better.
For example: Unstable government (e.g. Stresemann's policy of fulfilment (fulfilling ToV terms) --> hatred from right-wing) --> economic impact is Ruhr occupation which leads to hyperinflation --> social impact is lack of trust with current government, causing civilians to resort to extremist groups.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Never.Give.Up

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #1106 on: March 05, 2018, 01:43:23 pm »
Hey  ;D
For an essay-
To what extent did the weaknesses of the Weimar Republic account for the growth and rise to power of the Nazi Party to 1933?
I was thinking of answering this with 3 broad ideas and linking key features to this.
So far, I have Weimar Constitution, Economic Instabilities of WR, but I dont know what would be good for the third...i had thought either Reichstag Fire/ Treaty Versailles, not really sure.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated  ;D ;)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1107 on: March 05, 2018, 02:06:35 pm »
+3
Hey  ;D
For an essay-
To what extent did the weaknesses of the Weimar Republic account for the growth and rise to power of the Nazi Party to 1933?
I was thinking of answering this with 3 broad ideas and linking key features to this.
So far, I have Weimar Constitution, Economic Instabilities of WR, but I dont know what would be good for the third...i had thought either Reichstag Fire/ Treaty Versailles, not really sure.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated  ;D ;)

Hey!

The three broad ideas is great for this essay! Usually, what loads of people do is separate their paragraphs into political, economic and social factors. You can start by creating a table, with the three factors I mentioned before, and list stuff you think would go under those headings. :-) You've already got the Weimar constitution down, and the economic instabilities - just add social factors. :-)

Hope this helps!

Never.Give.Up

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #1108 on: March 05, 2018, 08:51:47 pm »
Hey!

The three broad ideas is great for this essay! Usually, what loads of people do is separate their paragraphs into political, economic and social factors. You can start by creating a table, with the three factors I mentioned before, and list stuff you think would go under those headings. :-) You've already got the Weimar constitution down, and the economic instabilities - just add social factors. :-)

Hope this helps!
Hey thanks for that :D
Yep i was thinking of doing that structure :D
Sorry...what were the three things u said before??
would the Stresemann Era fit into social (expressionist movement went against tradtiion - hitler used this, alternative to reunite nation), link to both political and economic instabilities contributing to a loss of faith in the weimar republic- again ppl looked to hitler as solution, conservative elites- hitler targeted industrialists and middle class groups who resented WR's rise to power, felt betrayed by them- hitler used govt. allowances, women's rights, social legislation etc. as weaknesses to gain power/ popularity...
would that be right?? ;)
also, could reichstag fire come under political...and should i include tov??

thanks heaps for ur help ;D ;D

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1109 on: March 05, 2018, 09:03:46 pm »
+3
Hey thanks for that :D
Yep i was thinking of doing that structure :D
Sorry...what were the three things u said before??
would the Stresemann Era fit into social (expressionist movement went against tradtiion - hitler used this, alternative to reunite nation), link to both political and economic instabilities contributing to a loss of faith in the weimar republic- again ppl looked to hitler as solution, conservative elites- hitler targeted industrialists and middle class groups who resented WR's rise to power, felt betrayed by them- hitler used govt. allowances, women's rights, social legislation etc. as weaknesses to gain power/ popularity...
would that be right?? ;)
also, could reichstag fire come under political...and should i include tov??

thanks heaps for ur help ;D ;D
Yeah, you could go with that!  :)
And yes the Reichstag fire would come under political (it is still debated as to who actually really lit the fire)
and the T.O.V would probably come under which ever category you wanted it to, as it's implementation had a number of different negative effects in Gemany (in terms of social, economic and political).
Although, if you're a bit unsure about what to put into that section on "social" then thats where you could emphasise the impact of the T.O.V through the 'stab in the back theory', november criminals, war guilt clause, loss of german pride etc
Good luck!  :)