Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 17, 2024, 10:07:55 pm

Author Topic: 4U Maths Question Thread  (Read 667728 times)  Share 

bluecookie

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Re: 4U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #1200 on: May 27, 2017, 12:59:00 pm »
In essence, we will have a pair of intersecting lines and not just a single line.

Consider what happens as the eccentricity is increased. As the eccentricity increases, the foci become further distanced and the directrices approaches the y-axis. When the eccentricity becomes infinite, the foci will be infinitely away and the directrices coincide on the y-axis.

This also makes intuitive sense, as PS/PM = e. As e->inf, we have either PS -> inf, or PM -> 0.

It may be worth considering that this case is the opposite of the circle, where the foci coincide at the origin to become the centre, and the directrices are infinitely far away

Oh, thanks :)

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1201 on: May 29, 2017, 09:11:32 am »

Please help question 3

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1202 on: May 30, 2017, 09:18:59 pm »
Hey guys can I grab some help with this whole question I'm seriously struggling to get it

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #1203 on: June 01, 2017, 07:28:10 pm »
+1
(Image removed from quote.)

Please help question 3
Honestly this question appears nonsensical.

The question says that the particle accelerates, until it reaches the maximum velocity. Then, once it is at the maximum velocity it starts travelling the distance S that it's supposed to.

And then they say \(T_1\) is the time taken for the car travel the full distance at maximum velocity. But it doesn't travel the full distance at maximum velocity?

If the question meant something else then it was worded horribly.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 07:30:06 pm by RuiAce »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
4U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #1204 on: June 01, 2017, 07:37:54 pm »
+1
Hey guys can I grab some help with this whole question I'm seriously struggling (Image removed from quote.)to get it
The significance is in that it means the force acts against the direction of the position/velocity respectively.

In the future, where possible please avoid the sideways photos. This request is a bit selfish but it stems from the fact that I personally hate mechanics and get put off from doing it quite easily......
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 07:43:59 pm by RuiAce »

kiwiberry

• HSC LECTURER
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #1205 on: June 01, 2017, 09:16:09 pm »
Hey, can someone please explain these perms and combs questions, I'm at a loss

1) Four sets of twins go to a party. In how many ways can these children be arranged in pairs so that no child is with his twin?

2) How many ways can three integers be chosen which are in arithmetic progression from the numbers 1 to 101?

HSC 2017: English Adv (93) | Maths Ext 1 (99) | Maths Ext 2 (97) | Chemistry (95) | Physics (95)
ATAR: 99.85

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1206 on: June 01, 2017, 10:11:54 pm »
+3

1) Four sets of twins go to a party. In how many ways can these children be arranged in pairs so that no child is with his twin?

2) How many ways can three integers be chosen which are in arithmetic progression from the numbers 1 to 101?

Note: We could have used the second or third term as well. Provided the triplets are ordered, we have a reference point.

I'm not confident with my working out for the first one. Can I please have the answer?

kiwiberry

• HSC LECTURER
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1207 on: June 01, 2017, 10:31:59 pm »
I'm not confident with my working out for the first one. Can I please have the answer?
Thanks so much omg. The first one is 60
HSC 2017: English Adv (93) | Maths Ext 1 (99) | Maths Ext 2 (97) | Chemistry (95) | Physics (95)

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1208 on: June 02, 2017, 01:15:20 pm »
Honestly this question appears nonsensical.

The question says that the particle accelerates, until it reaches the maximum velocity. Then, once it is at the maximum velocity it starts travelling the distance S that it's supposed to.

And then they say \(T_1\) is the time taken for the car travel the full distance at maximum velocity. But it doesn't travel the full distance at maximum velocity?

If the question meant something else then it was worded horribly.
The significance is in that it means the force acts against the direction of the position/velocity respectively.

In the future, where possible please avoid the sideways photos. This request is a bit selfish but it stems from the fact that I personally hate mechanics and get put off from doing it quite easily......(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

thankyou soo much rui, i worked out the first question if you want me to post it? thankyou soo much.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1209 on: June 02, 2017, 01:17:48 pm »
+1
thankyou soo much rui, i worked out the first question if you want me to post it? thankyou soo much.

Up to you. Good idea though for the benefit of the others

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1210 on: June 02, 2017, 11:28:17 pm »
+4

This Q1 took me ages to do and I had to call in my second year math friends to help me out. It dumbfounded me big time until I realised that I had mucked up the very last piece of my analysis...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 11:29:48 pm by RuiAce »

kiwiberry

• HSC LECTURER
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1211 on: June 03, 2017, 11:37:04 am »
This Q1 took me ages to do and I had to call in my second year math friends to help me out. It dumbfounded me big time until I realised that I had mucked up the very last piece of my analysis...

Oh wow. Thanks Rui, that question was much more complicated than I anticipated :O

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1212 on: June 03, 2017, 03:22:03 pm »
+1
That being said, the post was excessively long because Ext 2 students aren't expected to just know the inclusion-exclusion principle. I had to define it first before I could use it

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #1213 on: June 04, 2017, 02:02:42 pm »
Having a bit of trouble with conics. Part 2. Would be appreciated if you could guide me in it right direction.

Cheers, Wales
Heavy Things :(

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1214 on: June 04, 2017, 03:07:29 pm »
+1
Having a bit of trouble with conics. Part 2. Would be appreciated if you could guide me in it right direction.

Cheers, Wales
ST should be easy to find because T is on the x-axis so the distance is horizontal.

Hint: Did you consider the statement PS = ePM (or equivalently PS/PM = e, the focus-directrix definition)?