Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 08:56:21 pm

Author Topic: A Guide to Superconductors  (Read 8091 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
A Guide to Superconductors
« on: July 24, 2015, 03:15:39 pm »
+8
Hello once again for the final time everyone. Yes, that’s right, it is time for the very last Physics guide :( Yes I know, it’s very sad. But let’s make the most of the occasion! This guide will cover the last part of the core course, Superconductors. Some weird concepts, but on the whole, nothing overly difficult, as long as you are persistent. I’ll help you get prepared. This guide will be a little shorter than others, so a nice and easy finish.

As always, remember to register for an account and ask any questions you have below! It takes no time at all, and is an awesome chance to pick the brains of your peers.

Right, before we cover superconductors, we have to revise a few little things. Recall that metals have a crystal lattice structure , and can be described as a net of static nuclei, surrounded by a sea of electrons. It is the movement of these free electrons which allows conduction in metals. This lattice structure was discovered by the Braggs using X-ray crystallography. You don’t need to know much about this, but basically it involves bouncing X rays off of a metal and looking at the interference patterns. X rays, having a similar wavelength to the distance between atoms in a metal, give a good resolution picture of the atomic structure. The most you’ll have to do here is identify or describe the process, you won’t have to explain it.

So, we know what causes induction. But what causes resistance? Well, beyond the energy gaps covered in previous topics, resistance is actually caused by two things. Firstly, impurities in the lattice. If external elements are present in a metal, or other disruptions are present, they will interrupt the flow of electrons in various ways. Secondly, lattice vibrations contribute to resistance. These vibrations occur due to the temperature of the metal; heat energy causes vibration in the atomic structure of the metal. These can disrupt the flow of electrons and thus increase resistance.

How does all of this relate to superconductors? The best way to explain this is to explain the BCS Theory , the theory which explains superconductive behaviour. I’ll note, however, that this theory is outdated and now thought to be at least partially incorrect. However, it is an effective model in most circumstances.

The BCS Theory concerns lattice vibrations. As the temperature of an superconductor decreases, these vibrations decrease in intensity. Eventually, the superconductor reaches a low enough temperature that these vibrations become negligible. This is called the critical temperature . When this happens, the moving electrons actually are able to attract the positively charged nuclei around them. This creates a lattice distortion , where the lattice distorts inwards towards the electron. In quantum terms, this is called a phonon .

Now, these phonons are actually a region of focused positive charge. They attract other electrons, effectively creating electron pairs. These are called cooper pairs , and due to quantum energy effects you aren’t required to understand, they travel through the lattice completely unaffected. These pairs continually break and reform, but result in a net flow of electrons with zero resistance.

This explains how a superconductor works. Below the critical temperature, superconductors have zero resistance! Different materials have different critical temperatures, and physicists are continually developing complex compounds and alloys with higher critical temperatures. Typically, the critical temperatures are extremely low (usually below 150 Kelvin), and require liquid nitrogen/helium to reach this temperature.

You are also required to explain the Meissner Effect . You would have seen this in action in an experiment; basically, a magnet placed above a superconductor below critical temperature will levitate . But what is happening?

The Meissner Effect states that a superconductor below its critical temperature will exclude all magnetic flux. That is, magnetic fields cannot penetrate it. So, when we place a magnet above a superconductor, its magnetic field is excluded from the superconductor and so the magnet hovers in place. There are other quantum pinning effects at work too, but you don’t need to understand these.

Superconductors obviously prove extremely useful. Of course, zero resistance means that we can achieve 100% efficiency, no power loss occurs! This can be seen in the formula . At the moment, superconductors are primarily used to create extremely powerful electromagnets, used in Magnetic Resonance Imaging, and Maglev Trains . Explaining how superconductors are used in Maglev Trains is a common question…

Example: Explain how superconductors have allowed the development of new, more efficient means of transport, such as Maglev Trains.

Maglev Trains, currently used in parts of Asia, operate using extremely powerful electromagnets. Permanent magnetic fields are used to suspend the train above the track, while a set of changing magnetic fields are used to propel the train forward/backward. Superconductors, and their associated properties (namely, zero resistance) have allowed the development of electromagnets powerful enough to suit this purpose. This new technology allows friction to be completely removed, thus improving energy efficiency, reducing urban noise, and reducing commute times for travellers.

Note: The Meisner Effect has no role in the operation of a Maglev Train. BOSTES hates this error, don’t make it yourself!

However, there are serious limitations to how superconductors can be used, at least with the current technology available. For one, the extremely low critical temperature required for superconductive behaviour to occur. This requires use of dangerous liquid gases, and lots of energy to maintain the low temperature, which at the moment, completely offsets any benefits from using them beyond specific scenarios. Further, superconductors are not ductile/malleable, and thus are not suitable for things like transmission wires or similar. Finally, superconductors cannot carry AC current, only DC current. Thus, to use them, we would have to completely redesign our power infrastructure.

And that's actually about it for superconductors! Be sure you can explain the BCS Theory well. It is a little complex, so feel free to register and ask questions, head into Trials with all your questions answered! Best of luck for all your Trials, including Physics, happy study!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:57:24 pm by jamonwindeyer »

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: A Guide to Superconductors
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 12:08:59 pm »
Thankyou! I was wondering if what you have written about the meissner effect is enough to answer a question in an exam? I can't find anywhere else that explains it so directly so thank you!
HSC 2016: Adv. English [83] Adv. Maths [89] Physics [80] Chemistry [85] Ancient History [94]
ATAR - 92.70

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 01:01:39 pm »
Thankyou! I was wondering if what you have written about the meissner effect is enough to answer a question in an exam? I can't find anywhere else that explains it so directly so thank you!

I would add a tiny bit about the Meissner effect to the great description above. The magnet floating above the super conductor will have any motion resisted because of Lenz's law. This explains why it appear 'locked' into place; any movement in any direction will be 100% resisted by the superconductor. The easiest explanation of the Meissner effect is that eddy current are produced on it's surface, which interact magnetically with the magnet. These eddy currents NEVER DISPERSE, and the resistance is zero, and therefore will operate continuously to repel any movement (and balance the downward gravitational force) of the magnet as long as the super conductor is below the critical temperature.

Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 01:10:04 pm »

I'll add to Jake's explanation and my own as well that Lenz's Law isn't totally sufficient to understanding the basis of the Meissner Effect, we also need something called the London Equations to correctly encapsulate the behaviour. For some hefty Physics, the Wikipedia entry for the London Equations might be worth a spare read, but this is totally unnecessary to understand in the HSC. Just be aware that Lenz's Law isn't a complete and total explanation for the phenomenon :)

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 02:18:47 pm »
I find the eddy currents arguments a little confusing as I was under the impression that eddy currents are the result of changing flux through a conducting material, however when a magnet is sitting completely still (i.e. No changing flux) on a superconductor which is then cooled down to below it's critical temperature (e.g. By liquid nitrogen) it still lifts off? Am I missing something here or is this where the quantum physics comes in?
HSC 2016: Adv. English [83] Adv. Maths [89] Physics [80] Chemistry [85] Ancient History [94]
ATAR - 92.70

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 02:25:57 pm »
I find the eddy currents arguments a little confusing as I was under the impression that eddy currents are the result of changing flux through a conducting material, however when a magnet is sitting completely still (i.e. No changing flux) on a superconductor which is then cooled down to below it's critical temperature (e.g. By liquid nitrogen) it still lifts off? Am I missing something here or is this where the quantum physics comes in?

You really don't need to understand any other forces/effects for the HSC, so don't worry about Quantum physics or anything. The curriculum is confusing enough without needing to care about anything else!

As the magnet drops, it creates Eddy currents (in the manner in which you describe). Usually, however, the eddy currents disperse (due to resistance) over time. These eddy currents don't CONTINUE to be created, because as you say the magnet is stationary; they just don't disappear! They keep spinning, because why not? Seriously, it isn't important to know this in any greater depth.

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 02:32:27 pm »
+1
Ah ok, so the overall effect is the combination of the eddy currents keeping the magnet in position and the superconductor repelling the magnet away by excluding all flux?
ATAR - 92.70

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 02:34:31 pm »
+1
Ah ok, so the overall effect is the combination of the eddy currents keeping the magnet in position and the superconductor repelling the magnet away by excluding all flux?

Super complicated topic area, and that will definitely get you the marks, so yep absolutely :)

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 02:35:36 pm »
+1
Awesome, thank you!
ATAR - 92.70

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 02:36:14 pm »
Awesome, thank you!

No problem! Feel free to post an extended response answer in the Physics question thread, and we can take a look and make sure you have sufficient detail :)

Neutron

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 11:39:18 pm »
Hey Jamon!

I was wondering why superconductive wires can only carry DC and not AC? Thanks!
Great guide by the way :)

Neutron

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 11:48:12 pm »
Hey Jamon!

I was wondering why superconductive wires can only carry DC and not AC? Thanks!
Great guide by the way :)

Neutron
I think this one relates to how BCS theory wouldn't make sense for AC. If the electrons go back and forth, the lattice vibrations that you would expect to occur actually wouldn't, because the electrons don't travel in one way as to make this process smoothened out.

If they go back and forth, we really don't know what's going on with the lattice vibrations.

(Although Jake will kill me here because both he and I know that BCS theory is wrong. But I mean... nobody has figured out what's correct yet.)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 11:59:21 pm »
I think this one relates to how BCS theory wouldn't make sense for AC. If the electrons go back and forth, the lattice vibrations that you would expect to occur actually wouldn't, because the electrons don't travel in one way as to make this process smoothened out.

If they go back and forth, we really don't know what's going on with the lattice vibrations.

(Although Jake will kill me here because both he and I know that BCS theory is wrong. But I mean... nobody has figured out what's correct yet.)

Good explanation! I will clarify two things though (indeed this guide I posted a year ago could do with a touch up):

- Superconductors can carry AC currents, but they won't do so with zero resistance
- The reasons for this are beyond the syllabus, but involve quantum effects, eddy currents, etc etc

;D

kb123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 08:34:43 am »
How much do we actually have to know in our explanation of the Meissner effect??? I'm so confused since all different sources have different information :(

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 09:19:49 am »
+1
How much do we actually have to know in our explanation of the Meissner effect??? I'm so confused since all different sources have different information :(

Not much! you basically just need to identify that a superconductor will perfectly EXCLUDE the magnet's magnetic field (due to no resistance in the eddy currents), and this exclusion is what causes the magnet to hover

Here are simple diagrams to help ;)
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!