Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 17, 2024, 04:57:17 pm

Author Topic: How do I prepare myself for VCE English?  (Read 6382 times)  Share 

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
Re: How do I prepare myself for VCE English?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 06:46:20 pm »
Guys i just really lack motivation and a sense of willingness for english. I acknowledge the fact that english is the most important subject, but i just CANT enjoy it! What can I do to enjoy it, because I know that once i enjoy it, i will do relatively well in it :(
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

sparked

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 06:48:47 pm »
Hey!

So I got a 50 (cannot believe it, absolutely stoked!) and I'll make a short video as to how I (think I) got a 50.

Until then - the single, biggest piece of advice I can give you - is to practice!!!

Practice your writing, spelling, expression. Practice construction of ideas. KNOW your text.

What do you like the least about it??
B. Bmed III UoM: Anatomy Major
ATAR: 99.55
English [50] - Studio Arts [49] - Biology [47]

https://sites.google.com/view/sparkedvce
^ $25p/h! Sparked VCE Biology Classes: Sat, Sun, Wed. 10 days left to sign up! (Includes full year notes!!!)

Achieve 50 in VCE English Headstart Lecture: https://goo.gl/forms/NPuCsLbh8dfKjMsb2

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 06:52:37 pm »
Hey!

So I got a 50 (cannot believe it, absolutely stoked!) and I'll make a short video as to how I (think I) got a 50.

Until then - the single, biggest piece of advice I can give you - is to practice!!!

Practice your writing, spelling, expression. Practice construction of ideas. KNOW your text.

I think it just seems pointless to me... like writing essays, whats the point? I just cant see why... haha hope i dont offend anyone, its just my honest feeling towards english :(
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 06:58:18 pm »
Hey!

Just wondering what context theme did you do? Just wondering because I'm currently brainstorming ideas for Whose Reality, my teacher doesn't like students referencing other texts outside of the selected ones, because she doesn't like us to do story telling.

True I love English and much as I love maths (a lot)  :D
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

M_BONG

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 07:19:01 pm »
Just wondering what context theme did you do? Just wondering because I'm currently brainstorming ideas for Whose Reality, my teacher doesn't like students referencing other texts outside of the selected ones, because she doesn't like us to do story telling.

True I love English and much as I love maths (a lot)  :D
Woop *virtual high-five*. Whose Reality is actually really, really interesting since it's very philosophical (a bit self-diagnostic for me, hah) And I would say that your teacher is wrong because the whole purpose with Context is that you are using your set texts only as a springboard for bigger ideas and the only way you are going to do that is by using external examples/texts.

I am really keen to share some of my Whose Reality insights - cuz it's so interesting. PM me/post here if you need help with brainstorming!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 07:24:08 pm by Zezima. »

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 07:46:57 pm »
+10
I think it just seems pointless to me... like writing essays, whats the point? I just cant see why... haha hope i dont offend anyone, its just my honest feeling towards english :(
No offence taken, I'm pretty sure every VCE student has thought this at some point.

Where do I start...

From a purely pragmatic standpoint, English has to count in your top 4 subjects for Year 12 (unless you're also doing Englang or Lit.) so assuming you want to do well in VCE - a fairly safe assumption on AtarNotes ;) - it's worth investing some time in what is essentially a very easy subject once you've got the conceptual understanding.

In terms of why you should write essays, it's often the best way to improve, and it's pretty much the only way to consolidate your knowledge. If you were to ask the same thing of another subject (ie. why do practice exams for maths? why rehearse my oral for my language study?) you'll get your answer. It's not like you should be constantly churning out essays all year; I probably wouldn't have written any more than 20 throughout Year 12. There are many other ways to study which are much more effective for some people:
  • writing practice paragraphs rather than whole essays --> can be good to test out ideas or structure on a small scale
  • compiling notes for T.R./Context texts --> forms a good base to refer to later when you do start writing essays
  • developing your own repositories to draw from, ie. vocab/ techniques for L.A, quotes for T.R. and ideas/research for Context --> again is often more useful than writing stuff before you know what you're doing.
  • collecting and organising prompts/ coming up with your own --> helps you understand the text and the kind of questions that might arise from a VCE English standpoint.
  • class discussions/ talking about the texts or your approach with peers --> never underestimate other people's insight
  • reading over high scoring responses --> working out what makes these pieces high scoring can help you implement such concepts in your own work
  • marking other people's essays, regardless of quality --> this will give you a good indication of what the assessor is thinking
You get the idea.

Where you get your motivation is entirely up to you. Some students are entirely extrinsic, eg. 'I want to beat my smart arse friend' or 'I to get amazing results and share them with the world AtarNotes.' Others do it for their own reasons, eg. personal (and sometimes arbitrary) Study Score aims, or that rarest reason of all: knowledge for knowledge's own sake.

Even though I enjoy the idea of English (surprise!) I'm not really a staunch defender of the practicality of the current VCE course. Yes - most of you will never have to worry about writing an essay again. Nor will you ever be weighed down by the intricacies of topic sentences and contention identification. Unless you go on and do an English degree, but what kind of idiot wastes her life doing that!?

However, there is some underlying lesson to be learned in practicing expressing yourself clearly and concisely. There are very few careers out there that don't rely on some form of communication.

If you're like me and don't find yourself invested in the numerical outcome, you could always find interests between the lines of the study design. For instance, did you know there's a word that means 'pertaining to, or suited to horses'? There is. It's 'caballine.' You can use that in a Context essay - if you can make it relevant. My friends used to challenge me to incorporate the most bizarre things (current record is fruit bowl, Albuquerque, and coathangers, all in the one essay.)
I even wrote one of the GAT pieces without using the letter 'e' for a $50 bet.
and yes, I totally won

No VCE subject is inherently enjoyable; your mindset will make all the difference. I could spend an hour typing up all the great things I've discovered, or the stuff I never would have learned if I hadn't first begun to engage with the English course, but my best advice is for you to make it enjoyable in your own way - whatever that may be.

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 08:12:18 pm »
+1

I don't think we should pick on English alone. You say in pretty much every post that you love maths, well most careers don't require a knowledge of calculus or advanced probability. I'm sure most people that study maths because of uni pre-reqs, can't appreciate mathematical beauty or logic nor see its applications,  it seems pointless to them. In history, you can look at it in this way 'why should we be studying the past, when we are living in the present and looking to the future?' Learning so much about chemical bonding seems pointless to many people because they can't relate to it. I guess it's hard to see the point in fields that are out of our spectrum.

I didn't like English until this year, when we started analyzing texts in more depth. Every text in the VCE curriculum,  contain ideas/ values underpinning the society we live in, there's always a reason why a text is in the curriculum. Rather than just seeing it as a subject where you write essays perhaps put more emphasis on exploring the ideas that reflect the human condition and the society we live in, and see essays as a vehicle for expressing those ideas in a coherent way.

Woop *virtual high-five*. Whose Reality is actually really, really interesting since it's very philosophical (a bit self-diagnostic for me, hah) And I would say that your teacher is wrong because the whole purpose with Context is that you are using your set texts only as a springboard for bigger ideas and the only way you are going to do that is by using external examples/texts.

I am really keen to share some of my Whose Reality insights - cuz it's so interesting. PM me/post here if you need help with brainstorming!

Yeah, Whose Reality is really interesting agreed  :)

I'll pm you later when I'm in more of an English mindset
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 08:24:50 pm by appleandbee »
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

90+FTW

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 06:58:54 pm »
+2
Essay Writing! Essay Writing! Essay Writing! I cannot stress this enough. That's a general preparation that you can apply to all of VCE English, individually speaking however, different things work for different sections of the exam.

For text response:
Know your content very well and ensure that you're able to manipulate it properly and clearly. You need to look at the specific features of your text and see how they contribute to the overall interpretation...there's more but I can't be bothered blabbing on about it sorry. lol (very tired at the moment)

For context:
You really need to determine whether you want to lean towards a creative, semi creative or expository piece. I actually prefer expository pieces since I believe that examining the topic sentence through this form is much easier. This is one of the most important things, and surprisingly many students just write essays without addressing the question at all, tut tut! For example, I did Whose Reality (and fucking loved it with all my heart) but it involves A LOT of abstract concepts that need to be reified clearly through language. Doing that via stories and poems, which are already quite broad and abstract can work to one's detriment. However, doing it in an essay format is much easier since you can explicitly refer to the topic question, ensuring that you stay on track - at least I believe it is. Of course, to each their own!

For language analysis
As a lit student, language analysis really wasn't a big deal to me. Lit is essentially language analysis, but at a more sophisticated level. It's difficult for me to say, but  just ensure that you know the linguistic terminology, how to follow the format and how to properly address TONE. It sounds odd for me to emphasis this, I know, but I spoke to the chief examiner about this and they said that tone is something many students forget to address (tut tut again!). I think this is probably the most important section, and I say this because (once again speaking to the chief examiner) if the examiners are unsure about whether to give you a 40+ study score in English they will ALWAYS look at your language analysis section to finally determine. Many students dismiss it, arguing that if they do better in the other two sections then it'll compensate (many of my students certainly said this!) for their language analysis. CERTAINLY NOT THE CASE.

apologies for the poor ranting.

Superfruit

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: MGGS
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 03:37:06 pm »
+1
I'm kind of nervous since I think I won't be able to achieve the score I want for English when I complete VCE English.

What can I do out and in class to prepare myself for VCE English, I'm currently year 9.

The best thing is to do is to write heaps of practice essays and show them to your teacher at lunch. Aim for at least 7 practice essays before each test at school. Also, once you start doing language analysis, write one every week (try to...it really depends on how much time you have)
Good luck
ATAR: 99.45
Study score of 50 + Premier's award for Health
Running head-start classes for health and human development
46 for English. Currently doing language analysis essay corrections.
PM IF INTERESTED~~