Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 05:01:12 pm

Author Topic: Still possible to change 3/4 subjects?  (Read 5330 times)  Share 

Eluminum

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: :3 some random private school
Still possible to change 3/4 subjects?
« on: January 16, 2014, 10:40:10 am »
Hey, I was wondering if it was still possible to change 3/4 subjects, or is it dependent on the school?
(I'd like to switch to 3/4 Further Mathematics btw)

Basically my question is- is it too late to switch?

LastOfUs

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: Still possible to change 3/4 subjects?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 10:42:39 am »
Hey, I was wondering if it was still possible to change 3/4 subjects, or is it dependent on the school?

To late.
My VCE 2014 Goal is to not end consciousness ... and a respectable ATAR.

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:45:44 am »
+2
It's alright in VCAA's books. I don't think schools can really stop you either, provided you've passed the necessary subjects and are asking for something reasonable. This shouldn't put you off or anything, but if your school ran a head start program, keep in mind that you might be a bit behind the rest of your class.

Anyway, on your first day back, go and see your VCE co-ordinator about it. Generally speaking, you'll have to fill in some forms and wait to see if they can make a timetable for you, but in most cases it does work out.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 11:20:08 am »
Yes it definitely is possible! Try contacting your vce coordinator asap by email or something just so you don't need to wait until school starts. I had a couple of friends who changed once school started (at our school we have the first 2 weeks to change if we really need), and I myself changed during these summer holidays (from Chemistry to Further maths :P)
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

LastOfUs

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 11:24:02 am »
It's alright in VCAA's books. I don't think schools can really stop you either, provided you've passed the necessary subjects and are asking for something reasonable. This shouldn't put you off or anything, but if your school ran a head start program, keep in mind that you might be a bit behind the rest of your class.

Anyway, on your first day back, go and see your VCE co-ordinator about it. Generally speaking, you'll have to fill in some forms and wait to see if they can make a timetable for you, but in most cases it does work out.

I'm not sure about schools outside of my area but we run a 2 week program at the end of the year instead of holidays called 'promotions' where we essentially get the feel for our own subjects. After electing the subjects months before, we get a handful of lessons to actually see what the subject is like and if we would like to change our subject it must be within that promotions period.

Anchy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 11:31:32 am »
Should be fine. Definitely not too late.
Bachelor of Arts/Laws @ Monash University

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 11:52:57 am »
I'm not sure about schools outside of my area but we run a 2 week program at the end of the year instead of holidays called 'promotions' where we essentially get the feel for our own subjects. After electing the subjects months before, we get a handful of lessons to actually see what the subject is like and if we would like to change our subject it must be within that promotions period.

Well that's the exception then. If a student really protested though, they'd have to back off and heed VCAA's stipulations.

LastOfUs

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 12:56:37 pm »
Well that's the exception then. If a student really protested though, they'd have to back off and heed VCAA's stipulations.
From what I've heard you are more or less stuck in what you had enrolled if you miss some sort of date which would be before the beginning of the 2014 year as schools generally have limited spaces in subjects and also have to categorise you in VCAA's system as to what subjects you are doing, mainly for seamless organisation come exam time. If quite alot of people were changing subjects it'd be a hassle on individual schools aswell as VCAA collectively whom would be preparing for other assessments .. or twiddling with their thumbs.

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 01:04:57 pm »
That may be the case at some schools. I assure you though, it's definitely possible to change subjects early in Year 12 - it happened at my school and other users have done it here.

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 01:12:03 pm »
depending on how hard you push your schools the absolute latest date you can switch 3/4s is may 5th, but for distance education its mid april (22nd iirc). otherwise your school will usually tell you not to switch simply because you will be behind, but you can ask anyway

MagicGecko

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • W3$T $IDe I$ B3$T $!D3
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 01:14:26 pm »
Yes it is possible, similar to LastOfUs my school also had a program where you pretty much start year 12 at the end of year 11 (it runs for about 2 weeks as well, but it doesn't have a name, the teachers just called it 'starting year 12 early'). But when we went to back to school the next year we had an assembly and the principal said that now that there is a deadline of 3 weeks and if you want to change into a different subject then will have to do it withing those 3 weeks. And also catch up in terms of the holiday h/w given, but since you are wanting to change in further maths that shouldn't really be a problem. When I went back to school I immediately dropped physics for further maths and it was allowed.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 01:16:11 pm by MagicGecko »

2013-2016:
Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical)(Honours) @ RMIT

~Full-Time Biomedical Engineer~

"im not crying there’s just overpriced college education in my eye" ~ abigalmills-tumblr

walkec

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 01:17:36 pm »
It's not too late. I know at my school we can change up until the end of the last week

Eluminum

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School: :3 some random private school
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 01:50:09 pm »
Thank you everyone! This definitely helped me :)
P.s we did run Headstart programs. Further maths/methods (weirdly) only had 1 headstart session, whilst chem and psychology had something like 4-6.

Definitely willing to catch up, so thank you everyone again for the info ^^
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:45:45 pm by Eluminum »

~V

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 12:51:30 pm »
As others have said, it depends on schools. They will try to persuade you not to change lol. So be prepared to have a very good reason as to why you want to change.
November 6th 2014 5.15pm
Class of 2014! :D

el tigrč chinő

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 01:09:59 pm »

My biggest regret in VCE was not changing to Further (in addition to Methods) when I had the opportunity to during the summer holidays as I thought "I've already done the headstart program."

Do it. Grab it with both hands.