Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 03, 2024, 11:57:50 pm

Author Topic: The Crucible Ideas and practice essays  (Read 5917 times)  Share 

Laith

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
The Crucible Ideas and practice essays
« on: August 02, 2011, 08:03:57 pm »
hey guys I am trying to gather common ideas on which we can draw when writing a context piece on the crucible.
Also If anyone has a good example of The crucible essays please share.

Ill start This off with Ideas I have included so far

-McCarthyism and the reign of McCarthy himself
-The cold war between Russia and America
-The Salem witch trials
-Conflict in the school yard

p.s. I have written an essay recently and if It gets positive feedback from my teachers I will post it up.

LOVEPHYSICS

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Re: The Crucible Ideas and practice essays
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 06:09:50 pm »
+2
Let's see, for agendas and conflicts, I got a few in my head right now.

- US's response to the spread of Communism in the 1950s (Its involvement, and the death and displacement that ensues is supported by the hypocritical rationalisation that the war would bring freedom and democracy to a nation on a cusp of revolution.)
- US's response to terrorism, 9/11 (All out war, grave injustices to civilians and collateral damage are all hold justifiable to achieve America's aims.)
- US's many interventions in the global sphere (Its involvement in affairs such as Vietnam and Serbia has led the country to lose much of its credibility and also of its image as a fair and exemplary leader in the international arena. Refer to just war theories)
- Taliban's fundamentalist interpretation of the Koran is viewed by many as a manipulation to serve their own private and political agendas.
LINK to Crucible through the idea of theocracy, the rule of religion and law. How authoritative people (like Danforth) abuses both religion and law so to render their authority unquestioned and the people subjugated. The means by which they achieve this; justify torture, false accusations and corruption.

If it is me, I wouldn't include conflict in the school yard type examples in the exam.

Arts/Law (ANU)

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 07:50:56 pm »
+1
I would advise against the school yard conflict thing.. its the first idea that came to me when i was asked to do a conflict prompt for the first time this year.. so you don't want to have that in an exam.

McCarthyism is the way to go, perhaps you can compare this to the views we have on terror in the middle east
Julian assange is a hot topic
my english teacher mentioned how a lot of what was happening in the salem witch trials and McCarthyist america was that individuals were being demonised
this was also evident for asylum seekers, who were demonised by our government a few years back, after the government made it look like the asylum seekers threw their children of a sinking boat, to save themselves..
I dont have the articles, ill give it a search

something else worth exploring, is the inner conflict in john proctor
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 07:52:50 pm by nacho »
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

BoredSatan

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • <3
  • Respect: +72
  • School: GWSC
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 10:33:50 pm »
+1
I did an opinion article on the ricky nixon scandal.. will post in the submissions page

which can be found.. here

Context- [Encountering Conflict]- The Crucible
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 10:37:39 pm by BoredSaint »
Master of Dentistry, Latrobe University 2011 ATAR: 99.75
ATARnotes Accounting Unit 3&4 Study Guide Author

Laith

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 07:43:46 am »
Yer its true the school examples are not liked by teachers and lacks the sophistication as often we fight over stupid things

I find Greek mythology usually has interesting stuff to write about regarding conflict
for example the women of the Trojans that had to endure the consequences of a war they didn't initiate nor support.

LOVEPHYSICS

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 05:57:42 pm »
+1
Yes, you are on the right track. But use Greek classics instead of mythology in the exam, and reference the literary works. For example, if you want to talk about the Trojan War, talk about Homer's Iliad. Even better would be going beyond the women and explore the men, particularly on the tragic hero Achilles. He fought in a war that had no significant meaning to him, and despite regretting his decision and debates sailing home as revealed in many of his soliloquies, he ultimately chose to remain and perish in the conflict so to prove his worth and immortalize his name.
Arts/Law (ANU)

Laith

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 12:18:21 pm »
Yer thanks for the advice. I love physics too by the way