Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:59:21 am

Author Topic: Oral Presentation  (Read 1583 times)  Share 

anavychev

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Oral Presentation
« on: June 28, 2017, 10:23:26 am »
Hey guys! I've been given the topic 'THE MEDIA SHOULD NOT GLAMOURIZE AND SENSATIONALIZE CRIMINALS'

These are my main points:
- Gives light of their wrong doings
- Exposure of the crimes can encourage petty crimes for fame
- It does cause horrific developmental outcomes in children

What type of evidence can I provide for these points?

Thank you!!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 11:09:47 pm by anavychev »

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Oral Presentation
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 12:01:07 am »
+4
Hey guys! I've been given the topic 'THE MEDIA SHOULD NOT GLAMOURIZE AND SENSATIONALIZE CRIMINALS'

These are my main points:
- Gives light of their wrong doings
- Exposure of the crimes can encourage petty crimes for fame
- It does cause horrific developmental outcomes in children

What evidence can I provide for these points?

Thank you!!

Hey!

I think perhaps this thread hasn't got any replies because you're asking people to do work for you, that you could perhaps be doing yourself. I'm really interested to hear about your oral presentation, but I'd prefer to hear what you have to say about it than doing your research for you :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

anavychev

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 09:30:35 pm »
+1
Hey!

I think perhaps this thread hasn't got any replies because you're asking people to do work for you, that you could perhaps be doing yourself. I'm really interested to hear about your oral presentation, but I'd prefer to hear what you have to say about it than doing your research for you :)

Hi! I think I might have phrased the question wrong, probably why I'm failing English LOL! What I meant was, what type of evidence can I use? Is my research enough like the examples (I'm using Schapelle Corby and Cassie Sainsbury because they're similar)? What type of evidence is there? I know there's statistics but I can't find any statistics for my arguments so what other types of evidence are there?

Thank you!

p.s, sorry for my horrible English hahah :) is there any way to edit this post so I can rewrite my question?

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 09:35:32 pm »
Hi! I think I might have phrased the question wrong, probably why I'm failing English LOL! What I meant was, what type of evidence can I use? Is my research enough like the examples (I'm using Schapelle Corby and Cassie Sainsbury because they're similar)? What type of evidence is there? I know there's statistics but I can't find any statistics for my arguments so what other types of evidence are there?

Thank you!

p.s, sorry for my horrible English hahah :) is there any way to edit this post so I can rewrite my question?
You can use the modify button in the thread... :D

Are you allowed a powerpoint during the Oral?
If so, you could have images and little excerpts from news articles etc. ???
Just a thought... I know that I always do better with a presentation to go off...  :D
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

amigos

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 12:11:13 am »
+1

Thank you!

Don't know if this is relevant, but you could include stuff about how the media and public respond to celebrities committing crimes. Take Bill Cosby for instance; how has his sexual assault scandal tarnished his image? And more recently, Venus Williams and the fatal car crash that she has now been accused of causing - how has her public image suffered?   
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:16:59 am by amigos »

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 12:59:59 am »
+1

Thank you!

That's much better :) there's no need to apologise, don't sweat it. Just trying to make AN best for everyone!
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

mishs

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 01:01:53 pm »
+1
Hey!
I think you could use screenshots or quotes of newspaper articles etc that appear to glorify or sensationalize their behaviour.
For example, articles that don't focus on the progression of their trials or legal status, but instead treat them almost as 'celebrities' could be seen as sensationalizing criminals and if not promoting, then normalizing their behavior within our societies?
Hope that helped :)