Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 08, 2024, 01:40:00 am

Author Topic: Biology Practice Exam Discussion  (Read 65625 times)  Share 

BakedDwarf

Re: Biology Practice Exam Discussion
« Reply #195 on: October 18, 2015, 08:32:33 pm »
Is everyone going to do the sample supplied by VCAA in 2013? it seems to comprise of mostly past questions with a few new ones I think?

Can you link me it?

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Scopus
« Reply #196 on: October 18, 2015, 08:48:38 pm »

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
« Reply #197 on: October 18, 2015, 10:09:48 pm »
2008 unit 4 was pretty tough. Have you guys done it

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #198 on: October 18, 2015, 10:14:30 pm »
2008 unit 4 was pretty tough. Have you guys done it
How did you go? It was a tough exam the A+ cut-off was [113/150] I think.

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
« Reply #199 on: October 18, 2015, 10:34:39 pm »
How did you go? It was a tough exam the A+ cut-off was [113/150] I think.

Not great. 122/150

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #200 on: October 20, 2015, 06:38:13 pm »
How do you guys go about removing stupid errors?(such as techniques to check answers)

grindr

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #201 on: October 20, 2015, 08:59:37 pm »
Have any of you guys done the Insight 2012 unit 4 exam?

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
« Reply #202 on: October 20, 2015, 09:08:37 pm »
Have any of you guys done the Insight 2012 unit 4 exam?

Yes

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #203 on: October 21, 2015, 12:04:47 am »
Can someone check whether I would be able to obtain any marks from these answers? All questions are from VCAA 2010 Unit 4

Q1(c)(ii) What is a key difference between a prokaryotic chromosome and a plasmid? 1 mark

My Answer: Prokaryotic chromosomes cannot be passed along between bacteria, plasmids can be passed from bacterium to bacterium.

VCAA answers: replicate independently of binary fission
                             can be used as vectors in genetic transformation.

Q3(c) Explain why the male is phenotypically normal in spite of carrying the translocation shown? 1 mark

My Answer: There is no loss of genetic material thus they can still synthesise appropriate proteins.

VCAA answer:The same genetic material is still present within the cell but in a different position.

Q3(e)(ii) Outline your reasoning (check exam Unit 4 2010) 1 mark

My answer: There are 4 possible permutation of chromosomes via independent assortment, only 1 way in which the normal chromosomes are on the same side. 1/2 chance of one normal chromosome being on one side & 1/2 chance of the other normal chromosome being on the same side i.e 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/4

VCAA answer: For each homologous pair of chromosomes there are two choices of lining up. There are therefore four possibilities, of
which one combination has both normal (untranslocated) chromosomes.

Q4(b) What would you expect to happen to the shell thickness of the northern blue mussels over time? Explain your reasoning? 2 marks

My answer: I would expect the thickness to remain relatively constant as those mussels are not being subjected to a change in environment or change in selection pressures.

VCAA answer: Either of:
 no change in variation and due to crabs (selection pressure) not being present
 variation occurs due to a different selection pressure or gene flow with the Southern population.

Q5(b) Why was the inactivation of one of the centromeres a significant step in human evolution? 2 marks

My answer: It ensured that human chromosome 2 was able to line up as homologous pair of chromosomes in meiosis to produce gametes.

VCAA answer: Both of:
 the inactivation of one centromere enables meiosis/cell replication to occur
 gametes are able to be produced.

Q(b)(ii) Outline one disadvantage of a plantation of marula trees grown through marcotting compared to a natural population of marula trees 1 mark

My answer: This decreases genetic variation subsequently they are more likely to go extinct in changes of environment & changes of selection pressures.

VCAA answer: The lack of variety means that for example, should a disease occur, the resistance would be the same and may lead to
extinction.

Thanks in advance!

Bruzzix

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
  • School: FCCC
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #204 on: October 21, 2015, 07:33:59 am »
+1
Can someone check whether I would be able to obtain any marks from these answers? All questions are from VCAA 2010 Unit 4
I don't see why you would lose marks for any of those answers. They seem fine to me. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
2014: Psychology [31~28.95]
2015:
Chemistry [37~41.23] | Biology [42~42.86] | Physics [33~35.50] | Methods [29~33.14] | English [36~34.50]
ATAR: 90.35
2016: Monash BSc
Finished VCE at 16
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #205 on: October 21, 2015, 03:42:05 pm »
+1

Q1(c)(ii) What is a key difference between a prokaryotic chromosome and a plasmid? 1 mark

My Answer: Prokaryotic chromosomes cannot be passed along between bacteria, plasmids can be passed from bacterium to bacterium.

VCAA answers: replicate independently of binary fission
                             can be used as vectors in genetic transformation.

Q3(c) Explain why the male is phenotypically normal in spite of carrying the translocation shown? 1 mark

My Answer: There is no loss of genetic material thus they can still synthesise appropriate proteins.

VCAA answer:The same genetic material is still present within the cell but in a different position.

Q3(e)(ii) Outline your reasoning (check exam Unit 4 2010) 1 mark

My answer: There are 4 possible permutation of chromosomes via independent assortment, only 1 way in which the normal chromosomes are on the same side. 1/2 chance of one normal chromosome being on one side & 1/2 chance of the other normal chromosome being on the same side i.e 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/4

VCAA answer: For each homologous pair of chromosomes there are two choices of lining up. There are therefore four possibilities, of
which one combination has both normal (untranslocated) chromosomes.

Q4(b) What would you expect to happen to the shell thickness of the northern blue mussels over time? Explain your reasoning? 2 marks

My answer: I would expect the thickness to remain relatively constant as those mussels are not being subjected to a change in environment or change in selection pressures.

VCAA answer: Either of:
 no change in variation and due to crabs (selection pressure) not being present
 variation occurs due to a different selection pressure or gene flow with the Southern population.

Q5(b) Why was the inactivation of one of the centromeres a significant step in human evolution? 2 marks

My answer: It ensured that human chromosome 2 was able to line up as homologous pair of chromosomes in meiosis to produce gametes.

VCAA answer: Both of:
 the inactivation of one centromere enables meiosis/cell replication to occur
 gametes are able to be produced.

Q(b)(ii) Outline one disadvantage of a plantation of marula trees grown through marcotting compared to a natural population of marula trees 1 mark

My answer: This decreases genetic variation subsequently they are more likely to go extinct in changes of environment & changes of selection pressures.

VCAA answer: The lack of variety means that for example, should a disease occur, the resistance would be the same and may lead to
extinction.

Thanks in advance!

1cii—maybe, though probably not. Within the bounds of the VCE course you are probably correct, but I would venture that it's not really a key difference.

3c—again, maybe. You've understood that there's no loss of material, but I'd guess that they'd probably want some sort of indication that you understood what a translocation is, which with your answer you haven't really demonstrated.

3eii—yep, all good

4b—maybe. If they've mentioned crabs in the detail of the question you should mention them too. It's not enough to give the theory, you do have to relate it to the problem that they've presented. In this case, they were testing whether or not you could apply concepts in evolution to this problem.

5b—yep, you've said what they've asked for just with more words.

bii—you probably would get the marks for this, though it does sound like you're floundering a bit. I think with this one you've struggled to express what you wanted to say, but you do seem to know what you're on about. For that reason, they would probably give you the marks, as you are essentially correct. Lack of variation leads to more likely extinction in a changing environment.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #206 on: October 21, 2015, 07:06:16 pm »
1cii—maybe, though probably not. Within the bounds of the VCE course you are probably correct, but I would venture that it's not really a key difference.

3c—again, maybe. You've understood that there's no loss of material, but I'd guess that they'd probably want some sort of indication that you understood what a translocation is, which with your answer you haven't really demonstrated.

3eii—yep, all good

4b—maybe. If they've mentioned crabs in the detail of the question you should mention them too. It's not enough to give the theory, you do have to relate it to the problem that they've presented. In this case, they were testing whether or not you could apply concepts in evolution to this problem.

5b—yep, you've said what they've asked for just with more words.

bii—you probably would get the marks for this, though it does sound like you're floundering a bit. I think with this one you've struggled to express what you wanted to say, but you do seem to know what you're on about. For that reason, they would probably give you the marks, as you are essentially correct. Lack of variation leads to more likely extinction in a changing environment.
Thanks so much!!

grindr

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #207 on: October 21, 2015, 08:51:49 pm »
What is the hardest VCAA exam that is recommended to do? Other than the 2006 exam.

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
« Reply #208 on: October 21, 2015, 09:26:51 pm »
What is the hardest VCAA exam that is recommended to do? Other than the 2006 exam.

Maybe 2008 unit 4. None of them are really difficult

BakedDwarf

« Reply #209 on: October 21, 2015, 09:51:33 pm »

Well, i know for the fact that 2012 was the easiest one.

A+ cutoff for exam 1 was 64/75
A+ cutoff for exam 2 was 65/75

This is the highest i've seen so far.