Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 03:57:30 pm

Author Topic: Discovery in The Tempest?  (Read 12476 times)

laurenf58

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Discovery in The Tempest?
« on: February 07, 2017, 08:38:49 pm »
Hey!

Just wondering if anyone could tell me how exactly The Tempest relates to discovery? (e.g what type of discovery is there?)

Thanks!
2017 HSC || Legal. Business. Studies of Religion 2. English Advanced. Mathematics.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Discovery in The Tempest?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 09:11:22 pm »
+1
Hey!

Just wondering if anyone could tell me how exactly The Tempest relates to discovery? (e.g what type of discovery is there?)

Thanks!

Hey! I didn't study this text, but you should check out some of the FREE downloadable notes we have for The Tempest! I bet they will help you get some ideas ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 09:17:30 pm »
Hey!

Thanks!

Hey Lauren, an outstanding student from last year's cohort uploaded her essay using the Tempest to ATAR Notes for free download. You can download it here. Having a quick read of the thesis statements will give you a great idea.

Another wonderful student from last year's cohort uploaded her comprehensive notes of the different Acts in The Tempest. You can download it here for free and I'm sure you'll find it quite useful!.

These should give you some great ideas :)

Edit, sorry, I had the tab open for ages and didn't see your post Jamon. We're linking essentially to the same thing, I've just picked out two I think will be most useful for you Lauren.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 09:44:12 pm »
+4
Hey!

Thanks!

Hey hey! I studied this last year, and I defs remember how confused I was when we first started out. The narrative (to me anyway) seemed so jumbled up and confusing, and the crazy shakespearean language defs didn't help with that haha, but these where the most prominent links that I could find (sometimes they may seem a bit like a stretch, but I found a lot of english teachers seem to like that haha). It's been a while since I had to think about this stuff (well 5 months but whatever hahaha) so sorry if these are a bit brief, but hopefully it's enough to get you started!

- The physical discovery of the Island - This one is pretty obvious, but you can talk about how the physical discovery of the island acts as a catalyst for the emotional and reflective discoveries of the characters later on :)
- Self discovery is made through the inversion of the natural order - This is most evident during the Storm in Act I, where those who would be considered "lower class" order around kings and dukes. This forces them to reconsider and reevaluate the artificial nature of their importance and status. You can also mention Caliban here.
- Music and Magic = enablers of discovery - Most evident in the banquet scene and the masque scene. Prospero uses magic to create vivid and wondrous scenes that prompt the characters (including Prospero!) and the audience to reconsider prejudices and beliefs.
- Miranda - Miranda is an extremely sheltered girl who hasn't had any experiences of human interaction outside of her father and Caliban (which doesn't go too well). The discovery of new people - particularly Ferdinand  ;) ;) oo la la -  is critical to her growth as a character.
- Discovery of the impact ones actions have on the lives of others - Mainly in regards to Antonio and Alonso and how they "did surplant" Prospero. Clearly evident within the Banquet scene. By the end of the play at the very least Alonso feels partially remorseful (Antonio is kinda soulless so not much progress there)
- Discovery of the importance of forgiveness - This is critical because when Prospero forgives his transgressors, he is finally able to relinquish the desire for vengence that was holding him back for so long, allowing him to focus on more important things - such as his return to his Dukedom.

Thats all I can think of right now, if I remember anything else I'll add it later :) Hope this helped!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

laurenf58

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 05:49:22 pm »
+3
Thanks so much!
2017 HSC || Legal. Business. Studies of Religion 2. English Advanced. Mathematics.